Poll: Do you have a Budweiser equivalent where you are from?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you have a Budweiser equivalent where you are from?
We have an equivalent and I prefer it to Bud
8 36%
We have an equivalent and I prefer drinking Bud
8 36%
We are classy and don't have any crap like that
2 9%
I don't know what budweiser is but we have shit beer
2 9%
Obligatory 'I don't drink' option
2 9%
Voters: 22.
Page 1 of 5
Howdy folks,

So since we're kind of on the topic of Budweiser and how terrible it is, it got me thinking about other crappy beers around the world. Do you have something like 'Budweiser' where you are from? A cheapish beer that tastes like nothing, goes down easy and tends to be consumed by scumlords or douchbros? Something that screams, "Hey guys, I have no respect for myself" or the kind of beer that you wouldn't want to be caught dead holding? If you do, do you prefer it to Budweiser or would you rather down the king of piss?

Up here in the GWN, I feel like we have a few contenders for the title. The first one would probably be Molson Canadian. Maybe a slightly less bland beer compared to Budweiser but that doesn't really help its case IMO. Another one would be Labatt Blue (which is probably my least favorite beer ever) followed by anything produced by Sleeman. If you're drinking a Sleeman I'm going to automatically assume you get off on yelling at 12 year olds in COD, drive a 98 Honda Prelude with a stupid huge exhaust and wear too much Axe as your game plan. I actually prefer Budweiser to most of them as much as I don't like admitting it.

The culprits in question:

All terrible beers. It's not even up for debate.

So folks, any other 'Budweisers' out there in your neck of the woods? How do they compare to the alleged 'King of Beers' and the (low) standards it sets?

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Molson isn't that terrible. Labatt is also pretty good at gettin the job done, more on par with Budweiser. My obligatory contribution

~Drink Friendly~

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by flexiblemile
the sleeman isn't THAT horrible. It's not great, but it's not horrible...

Out of the common Canadian beers out there I'd say it's up there with the worst. Especially Clear.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still drink a Sleeman (I won't touch a Blue) but it's gotta be super cold and it has to be finished before it even gets close to losing chill. Otherwise, I gag on the shit
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You owe me royalties, pal
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
You owe me royalties, pal

Itll be in the mail
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
There's Tesco Value lager. Tried it once and it had no flavour whatsoever. It was something like 46p a can at the time. Probably just as cheap now.
Also there's Carlsberg Export which is supposedly a hobo drink/something people have when they're desperate but I don't thnik I've ever tried it.

Regular Carlsberg at least is worse than Bud. But I'm not much of a lager fan in the first place so
I have nothing important to say
I dunno, most of the terrible beers I can think of(Carling, Tennents, McEwans - not sure if they even still make that stuff) that aren't supermarket own brand taste of something, even if that something is regret.
Quote by JackSaints
There's Tesco Value lager. Tried it once and it had no flavour whatsoever. It was something like 46p a can at the time. Probably just as cheap now.
Also there's Carlsberg Export which is supposedly a hobo drink/something people have when they're desperate but I don't thnik I've ever tried it.

Regular Carlsberg at least is worse than Bud. But I'm not much of a lager fan in the first place so

Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Sep 16, 2016,
Quote by JackSaints

Carlsberg I always knew as a chav drink along with Carling. Valid?

If so I would say thats Budish
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Valid. Carlsberg is just about the cheapest brand-name lager you can get.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I dunno, most of the terrible beers I can think of(Carling, Tennents, McEwans - not sure if they even still make that stuff) that aren't supermarket own brand taste of something, even if that something is regret.

I had the misfortune of trying some McEwan's ale not too long ago. Awful stuff. Co-Op's brandless, generic, even cheaper ale turned out to be way better.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
Valid. Carlsberg is just about the cheapest brand-name lager you can get.

I had the misfortune of trying some McEwan's ale not too long ago. Awful stuff. Co-Op's brandless, generic, even cheaper ale turned out to be way better.
McEwans used to make lager as well, but I've not seen a bar with a pump for that in like 10 years or more.

It's really no loss.
Im kind of glad we dont have supermarket brand beers here because I would bet my next paycheck that Loblaws Lager would be worse than Budweiser
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Ugh beer snobs
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Ugh beer snobs

Dont hate.

Unless its bud. In which case go for it
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Bud is fine and is great at what it tries to be. Over half of the microbrews of "fresh" variations of IPAs are trash and fail at this simple task.
Quote by Dreadnought
Bud is fine and is great at what it tries to be. Over half of the microbrews of "fresh" variations of IPAs are trash and fail at this simple task.

I agree with that but I hate IPAs and dont drink them so I am biased.

I would take a Mill St over a bud any day. Maybe our Microbrews are better up here
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
There are better cheap beers than Budweiser, like Bitburger.
Quote by StewieSwan

Bitburger, Dab, Zlatarog etc...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I think one problem is that a lot of microbrews try and start off by being 'unique', rather than just by being good.

Quote by StewieSwan

"Bitte ein Bit", as the adverts used to go.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I think one problem is that a lot of microbrews try and start off by being 'unique', rather than just by being good.

The worst. Like when they focus on the ingredients but the beer just tastes like hoppy asshole
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I agree with that but I hate IPAs and dont drink them so I am biased.

I would take a Mill St over a bud any day. Maybe our Microbrews are better up here

Where is "up here"? Either way I doubt it because I live in the Pacific Northwest
it's funny cause molson, labatt and sleeman all seem like top quality beers when compared to coors light & co

Yeh, microbreweries focus way too much on IPAs and APAs. I rarely ever see microbrew porters, stouts, dark lagers, cream ales, etc.

Like, your typical microbrewery offers these staples

IPA
A different IPA
Double IPA
Imperial IPA
Ale
Pumpkin Ale (in fall)

It's true for so many breweries
Quote by Dreadnought
Where is "up here"? Either way I doubt it because I live in the Pacific Northwest

Is that Canada?

Quote by MinterMan22
it's funny cause molson, labatt and sleeman all seem like top quality beers when compared to coors light & co

When did you lose your sense of taste? Was it recently or... ?

Quote by StewieSwan
Yeh, microbreweries focus way too much on IPAs and APAs. I rarely ever see microbrew porters, stouts, dark lagers, cream ales, etc.

Like, your typical microbrewery offers these staples

IPA
A different IPA
Double IPA
Imperial IPA
Ale
Pumpkin Ale (in fall)

It's true for so many breweries

Its literally the worst.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 16, 2016,
Once when I went to Thailand my friend bought this beer that was literally just a blue can with "BEER" on it in orange letters. It looked like a can of Tiger except without the picture of the tiger. Hands down the worst thing I have ever had.

As for less sketchy beers, Anchor pilsener is probably equivalent to bud. I liked both.
cat
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Is that Canada?

When did you lose your sense of taste? Was it recently or... ?

have you ever had coors light though????

Quote by MinterMan22

Once

Its for sure worse than sleeman and molson
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
most beer just has no body to it. Hard to enjoy anything that isn't a stout
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I drink fosters cos it's cheaper and better than carling
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by MinterMan22

Coors light from draught is my favourite larger, not many places serve it around here though. Bottled coors is dreadful however

If I'm buying a crate for myself it'll be either Budweiser or fosters, depending on what's cheaper at the time

Stouts are shit, dark ales hmu
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Sep 16, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal
most beer just has no body to it. Hard to enjoy anything that isn't a stout

Stouts can be hit and miss as well though. I am not a fan of stouts that linger way too long on your palette.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I never buy stuff like bud or canadian because for some reason it's some of the most expensive beer you can buy where I live. But if someone wanted to give me some, I'm not going to complain, give me some of that lime beer, I don't give a shit if I'm not paying for it.
All IPAs are bleh tier apart from Jai Alai

Coors light is the best to mix with tomato juice, but one of the worser light beers.

It goes Miller Lite > Keystone Light >>>>>>>>>*
Yeah Fosters or Carling are shit-tier branded lagers. Can't stand Stella either but will tolerate Carlsberg Export.

I'd rather spend the extra to have a few nice beers than loads of shit ones but that's because I stopped drinking to get drunk a long time ago.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by Fat Lard
All IPAs are bleh tier apart from Jai Alai

I don't know how far it gets distributed but there's a Thai-Style IPA from Upslope Brewing that is fantastic. And I generally hate IPAs.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Is that Canada

The Pacific Northwest is western Washington, Oregon, and maybe northern california. I'm in Washington, near Seattle.
Page 1 of 5