So I've been playing for about four years now and currently still have my first guitar, an Epiphone Les paul Standard Pro. I was thinking it was time to upgrade to a Gibson Les Paul. I like the trad pro 3 or 4s, or I saw there is a new Les paul classic that looks awesome. I'm just wondering if this is a waste of money at this point. I don't gig, although I would like to and just don't know how to get one, and I'm only taking the time to learn solos now. Up until now I've just been learning the intro riffs to songs or the rhythm parts. Perhaps also there is another guitar someone can recommend? Thanks.
Best thing you can do is try as many as you can and decide if its worth it to you.

It doesnt matter if you dont gig either. If you like it and want it and can afford it, thats all that matters. Still I always recommend trying them because at least you know what youre getting into beforr you make the leap.

Unless of course you arent able to. If you want a good guitar in the Epiphone range you could always check out the Tribute series. They have nice hardware and decent specs more in line with a Gibson.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My experience with Gibsons says try them, and if you find one that feels right, go for it. If not, keep your money(or maybe look into a PRS S2 or something).

FWIW, with each of my Gibson LPs, I tried at least 3 of the same model before actually buying one, and only one of them is the first one I tried.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
My opinion is that if you want it and can afford it then go for it.

Gibson doesn't necessarily mean better than Epiphany or other brands at most price ranges. As the others said make sure you get a good one.

If you've been lusting after a particular logo then nothing else will satisfy that feeling until you get one. Hopefully that logo lives up to your expectations.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Best thing you can do is try as many as you can and decide if its worth it to you.

It doesnt matter if you dont gig either. If you like it and want it and can afford it, thats all that matters. Still I always recommend trying them because at least you know what youre getting into beforr you make the leap.

Unless of course you arent able to. If you want a good guitar in the Epiphone range you could always check out the Tribute series. They have nice hardware and decent specs more in line with a Gibson.

yep exactly, if you want it and can easily afford it, why not? i don't gig and i like having nice guitars (and amps).

i think he already has an epi, though.

EDIT: depending on where you are in the world, the japanese stuff is often really nice- tokai etc. (bear in mind they have cheaper models which aren't made in japan and which will be of similar quality to your epi). trying them next to a gibson is often pretty hard though because even if you have dealers nearby gibson normally won't allow their dealers to stock tokais etc. EDIT #2: I'm not saying not to get a Gibson, either, because good gibsons are also really nice. I'm just saying if you're in a part of the world where tokais etc. are fairly easy to come across you might as well try some of them too and see which you like best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 16, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep exactly, if you want it and can easily afford it, why not? i don't gig and i like having nice guitars (and amps).

i think he already has an epi, though.

I personally think a Tribute is better than a standard Epiphone, hence the suggestion.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
oh, ok, i didn't realise I'm a bit hazy about all those different epi models yeah if that's so then that's worth considering as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh, ok, i didn't realise I'm a bit hazy about all those different epi models yeah if that's so then that's worth considering as well.

LP Tribute:

Solid maple cap (flame veneer)
2 piece Mahogany back
'57 Classics
Long neck tenon
Locking Tuners
Series/Parallel switching
HSC included

LP Standard:

Maple veneer on an asian mahogany top IIRC
Multi piece asian mahogany back
Standard Epiphone Pro pups
Standard hardware
Case not included

From what I can gather anyway if you're curious.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I think anything that is going to make you play more and feel great playing it is worth it. I own the Epi Les Paul, but only because I can't afford a Gibson at the moment. Someday I will get one, its just inevitable and its just because my heroes play them and nothing else will do!

So my advice for you is be honest with yourself, why do you want one? Are you like me and just simply can't do without one or are you chasing overall tone and feel? If tone/feel is what matters to you there are other options that folks above have mentioned and you can save some serious cash.

ALSO - I think its mentioned in a sticky here, but I would invest in a good amp before getting another guitar. Maybe you already did and this is a moot point, but just wanted to mention. If you don't own a good quality all tube amp, you are missing out on a LOT!

good luck!
Thanks for all the input! I actually recently just got my first tube amp -- a jvm210h and 1960 lead cab. To be honest I haven't tried that many guitars, a few les pauls and some fenders, but there is something about the gibson les paul that appeals to me. Thanks for all the help!
^^ yep very nice, sounds like you're sorted on the amp front

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
LP Tribute:

Solid maple cap (flame veneer)
2 piece Mahogany back
'57 Classics
Long neck tenon
Locking Tuners
Series/Parallel switching
HSC included

LP Standard:

Maple veneer on an asian mahogany top IIRC
Multi piece asian mahogany back
Standard Epiphone Pro pups
Standard hardware
Case not included

From what I can gather anyway if you're curious.

thanks. yeah that does sound a fair bit better, my mistake. I just kind of assumed they'd be similar
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gibson Custom Shop or higher (Like VOS)... IDK what to think of these current reissues, VOS was the best, then before that, Custom Shop.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by treborillusion
Gibson Custom Shop or higher (Like VOS)... IDK what to think of these current reissues, VOS was the best, then before that, Custom Shop.

VOS was just a finishing option as far as Im aware. They are no better than a regular one IMO.

The current string of reissues (2012-present) are quite a bit more accurate if youre into that aspect. I personally have a 2008 R8 that I think is a really sweet guitar. Its not quite as fancy as the newer ones but it works for me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
VOS was just a finishing option as far as Im aware. They are no better than a regular one IMO.

The current string of reissues (2012-present) are quite a bit more accurate if you're into that aspect. I personally have a 2008 R8 that I think is a really sweet guitar. Its not quite as fancy as the newer ones but it works for me.

I personally don't like their reissues which are like 2014 - (because I feel it replaced what I loved) compared to the VOS models that were around before; I'm not saying those reissues aren't fine guitars, but the VOSs were like sex to me.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Sep 18, 2016,
Quote by treborillusion
I personally don't like their reissues which are like 2014 - (because I feel it replaced what I loved) compared to the VOS models that were around before; I'm not saying those reissues aren't fine guitars, but the VOSs were like sex to me.

Nice edit.

Do you personally know the difference?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nice edit.

Do you personally know the difference?

Yeah my bad, I should learn to read.

I personally know the difference through comparing Les Pauls from Gibson both in and out of my budget.
There are Gibsons I love and some Gibsons I don't, but my Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard was love at first play (even though aesthetically I hated it with it's stock zebra head humbuckers and everything, made this guitar look like a goofy Picasso!.. but I love it now and think it's sexy (all thanks to the pickups I had put in for the look of this guitar, made it go from goofy to sexy)! and it plays so great!.. Love it.

TBH I don't trust many people to re-fret it. And it is showing signs of fretware , a bit.

Yes; VOS are the best, I think. (That's not an original 1958/59)...
Quote by laid-to-waste
Last edited by treborillusion at Sep 18, 2016,
Quote by treborillusion
Yeah my bad, I should learn to read.

I personally know the difference through comparing Les Pauls from Gibson both in and out of my budget.
There are Gibsons I love and some Gibsons I don't, but my Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard was love at first play (even though aesthetically I hated it with it's stock zebra head humbuckers and everything, made this guitar look like a goofy Picasso!.. but I love it now and think it's sexy (all thanks to the pickups I had put in) and it plays so great!.. Love it.

TBH I don't trust many people to re-fret it. And it is showing signs of fretware , a bit.

Yes; VOS are the best, I think. (That's not an original 1958/59)...

Yeah but your standard isnt really 59 spec and I was merely pointing out the new ones are more accurate in that aspect. I dont doubt your LP is a good guitar and you might prefer it (I like my USA LP sometimes over my CS) but from a strictly spec wise convo, the new ones are better. Them being worth it is a completely different story.

Im lucky, I have a sweet Gibson dealer near by so I get to try out a lot of the newer CS stuff. I personally think the new ones are sweet but I wouldnt bust the bank to get one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
My 1996 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard is lighter (because it's chambered and the neck's not so fat; but I love it's action, how it plays, sounds, tone, sustain and everything.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by wellmandellie
So I've been playing for about four years now and currently still have my first guitar, an Epiphone Les paul Standard Pro. I was thinking it was time to upgrade to a Gibson Les Paul. I like the trad pro 3 or 4s, or I saw there is a new Les paul classic that looks awesome. I'm just wondering if this is a waste of money at this point. I don't gig, although I would like to and just don't know how to get one, and I'm only taking the time to learn solos now. Up until now I've just been learning the intro riffs to songs or the rhythm parts. Perhaps also there is another guitar someone can recommend? Thanks.

I used to play les pauls, one point all I had were les pauls, really depends on your standards really. I loved my epiphone custom(white) and I had a Gibson studio, if i were to do it all over, buy maybe 2-3 les Paul jrs n put better pickups in each, i rarely used the neck pickup, but thats me, after a few years n before then, they just got very uncomfortable for me, so i went back to strats
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by wellmandellie

I'm not sure, honestly, how much of an "upgrade" simply moving to a Gibson really is any more. There are a lot of other options out there that are marked improvements over a standard Gibson LP.
Is it more of a tone or playability difference between the Epiphone and Gibson? I never really got how tone would make a difference through an amp. If the sound you hear is the wood resonating, and the pickups on pickup the movement of the strings, how would it matter? I'm looking at a les paul classic t or trad pro.
Its more of a price, parts and finish difference. If thats big to you is up to you.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I quit my office job and now I am getting paid 82 Dollars hourly. How? I work-over internet! My old work was making me miserable, so I was forced to try-something different. 2 years after…I can say my life is changed completely for the better! Check it out what i do… N1024

This is ᴡʜᴀᴛ I DO--------------- http://www.CashPay60.Com
Here's an option. Sell or trade in your epiphone, Get a epiphone les Paul Jr n throw a 498t in it and save for a mesa dual rectifier or roadking an conquer the world ?

..dont forget to thank me when you go big
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 20, 2016,
You only live once. If you can afford it, get one. If not, rest assured your current Epiphone Les Paul is a mighty fine axe. Check out a few Epiphone vs Gibson blind tone test on youtube and get your hands on a few Gibson's and feel the difference for yourself. I used to want a Gibson oh so badly as well. I have tried out a few Gibson Les Pauls and have found my Epiphone to be more comfortable each time. In my opinion owning a Gibson is a status symbol no different than owning a Mercedes.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic Hollowbody
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue VOS
2014 Fender Mustang I v.2
2011 Fender Mustang IV v.1
I'm in a similar situation and I'll probably go for the Tribute+.
The Traditional I played didn't sound better than the Tribute+ imo but it felt and looked different.
Whether you prefer that or not is really up to preference.
+ I already fear getting scratches on my $300 Ibanez RG 421 (which happened several time thanks to my family) and it is a lot more painful to get scratches on a $1500+ guitar than getting scratches on a $600 guitar.
I'd gig with an Epiphone but a Gibson would only be used at home.
That's just me though, you may be different.
Please note, that the Epi LP Standard Pro already is a pretty good guitar.
You could change the pickups to suit your style better instead of buying a new one.
If you want a second guitar anyways, I can totally understand that though.
Last edited by juvion at Sep 20, 2016,
I have an ~Epip and this year a got a trad pro 2 used for £800 which is a big saving , I could have got another Epip But there not as good and I don't like the china Epip , there might be some older Korean Epiphone guitars that are as good , If you want a Gibson I would try used and look for a good deal .
My current Epi is blue but the side (width of the instrument) is discoloring and turning purple. Anyone seen anything like this? Think the warranty might cover it? The neck is also twisting slightly, which should be covered but these are the main reasons I'm interested in upgrading. Perhaps it's just my instrument or something I'm doing, but it seems like a Gibson wouldn't do this.
Quote by wellmandellie
My current Epi is blue but the side (width of the instrument) is discoloring and turning purple. Anyone seen anything like this? Think the warranty might cover it? The neck is also twisting slightly, which should be covered but these are the main reasons I'm interested in upgrading. Perhaps it's just my instrument or something I'm doing, but it seems like a Gibson wouldn't do this.

That does sound... awkward.
Is your guitar exposed to hot temperatures and / or lots of humidity?
Usually a Gibson LP is even more sensitive.
Quote by wellmandellie

A Gibson's finish is worse than that on an Epiphone and much more sensitive to chemicals, moisture, heat, etc.
Is your guitar stored in, or out of its case? You don't keep it on a stand or a wall hanger, do you? And definitely not near a window or door and definitely not directly in the sun.
It's always on a stand in my room, away from the window. We live in Arizona so there is a lot of temperature and humidity changes, even daily.