So I have this 100W Engl tube head. I saw a tutorial on how to record your guitar amp silently using the fx loop and cab impulses. They said you should leave the speaker cable in the amp but here's the problem. I use a combo as a speaker. I basically made myself a speaker cable that I could connect directly to the speaker without any plugs and for the amp just a jack plug. But if I leave the cable off the speaker, does it need to have some kind of plug connected to it or can I just leave the wires loose?
STOP DON"T DO IT! I think you may have misunderstood what they were showing you.

If you run your amp without a speaker load connected you will burn out your OT (output Transformer) the cable is not a load so having it plugged in by itself will do nothing, you have to have a speaker (or a dummy load) connected.

If you have a series FX loop then you can run the output of the FX loop to your computer and use a cab impulse, since you have nothing going into the FX return the power amp won't be getting a signal so it will be "silent" but you have to keep the cable and speaker connected to your amp or you will burn your OT. when the tutorial said to keep the speaker cable connected they meant to keep the speaker connected.

If the amp has a parallel FX loop you may be able to do the same thing by playing with the wet/dry fx loop mix
guitarsngearOk thanks. Will the cheapest dummy load for 100w be stable enough to still run my loop to the interface?
I don't know what you mean by "stable", also the dummy load would connect to the speaker jack and have nothing to do with the FX loop or the preamp
NO!!!!

Just leave the cable and speaker plugged in like you normally have things but run the FX out to your computer. No sound will come out of your speaker.

If you remove the cable no sound will come out of the speaker either but smoke will probably come from your amp as the ENGL gods will desert your now destroyed amp. . . . . and not in an 80's dry ice fog falling down your amp sort of way.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
NO!!!!

Just leave the cable and speaker plugged in like you normally have things but run the FX out to your computer. No sound will come out of your speaker.

If you remove the cable no sound will come out of the speaker either but smoke will probably come from your amp as the ENGL gods will desert your now destroyed amp. . . . . and not in an 80's dry ice fog falling down your amp sort of way.

Yes, electronics depend on smoke and if you let the smoke out they usually quit working.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Arby911Thanks everyone. I just tried it with the speaker connected. I set the fx loop all the way to fx so the poweramp didn't do much. I was able to run it nice and loud for the best sound. Works pretty nice but I'll still invest in a Torpedo Live.
Quote by jenshendriks200
Arby911Thanks everyone. I just tried it with the speaker connected. I set the fx loop all the way to fx so the poweramp didn't do much. I was able to run it nice and loud for the best sound. Works pretty nice but I'll still invest in a Torpedo Live.

Glad the experiment was a success!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I let the factory smoke out once...it was not a good thing...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...