First of all. My range goes from A-B2 to A-A#-B4 (depending on the day). If I develop a mix voice, will a C5 sound chesty, or more heady? Also, I have a brightish sound, but if I sing a lot (I don't have technique) I crack! Let's say today, I cracked at G4, because I was singing A4-A#4s all the time for 3 hours... Then my throat was killing me... Anyways, what's with the mix voice? Does the chestiness of your mix depend on how high you can sing in chest voice?
Colja123
Before you even get to discuss the mixed voice, please figure out whether you are suffering from vocal fatigue, or damage from trying to pull chest up to a Bb4. In what way is it hurting? 3 hours of singing A4s shouldn't hurt your throat in the way you are describing. So at this rate, if you keep abusing your vocal chords, you could possible get nodules before you even get to learn any technique.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Sep 17, 2016,
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Colja123
Before you even get to discuss the mixed voice, please figure out whether you are suffering from vocal fatigue, or damage from trying to pull chest up to a Bb4. In what way is it hurting? 3 hours of sings A4s shouldn't hurt your throat in the way you are describing. So at this rate, if you keep abusing your vocal chords, you could possible get nodules before you even get to learn any technique.

It just hurts... As I said, I have no technique... I can easily sing A#4s if I don't sing for a while, but after a bit of singing, my throat starts hurting again, and I can't even sing... I'm not sure if I sing with my diaphgram... I think I put all the stress on my throat...
Colja123
Yup, that's bad. Everytime this happens, you are creating microlacerations in your vocal chords. Which will try to patch themselves up, but that ends up creating scarring, and in the long term will affect your singing.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Colja123
Yup, that's bad. Everytime this happens, you are creating microlacerations in your vocal chords. Which will try to patch themselves up, but that ends up creating scarring, and in the long term will affect your singing.

Well, I had a gig yesterday, and I was singing As and A#4s but I was fine! Turns out that if I think about breathing through my diaphgram it's all ok! It's not in my blood yet, so I have to think about it to actually do it, but when I do, I can probably reach a b4 without straining (in chest voice). I just need to "automatize" this so that I don't have to think about it!
You are screwing up your voice, thats whats happening. Also, please stop making new threads all the time, there is no reason why you couldnt ask these questions in just one of them.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky

He ain't going to listen and we both know it.

Quote by Colja123
Well, I had a gig yesterday, and I was singing As and A#4s but I was fine! Turns out that if I think about breathing through my diaphgram it's all ok! It's not in my blood yet, so I have to think about it to actually do it, but when I do, I can probably reach a b4 without straining (in chest voice). I just need to "automatize" this so that I don't have to think about it!

The diaphragm is overrated. Its function is to help the control of air flow, it is only a cog in a wheel. Relying on the diaphragm will only make you push more air out to get those notes out, and that's the fastest way to destroy your voice.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Sep 19, 2016,
Yeah. Its just frustrating. I guess i understand how my parents felt.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
gorkyporky

He ain't going to listen and we both know it.

The diaphragm is overrated. Its function is to help the control of air flow, it is only a cog in a wheel. Relying on the diaphragm will only make you push more air out to get those notes out, and that's the fastest way to destroy your voice.

"he ain't going to listen to us"... What tip did you give me? Or did I miss something? You said don't sing A4s with chest... So what, if I have a gig I'll be quiet the whole song? Or what...

8:52... He sings that C5 , and he's a baritone/bass... You said that I shouldn't bring chest voice up to A#4s, but I was told that this C5 is in pure chest on ken tamplin forums... Is this true? He's a voice teacher, and you said that it's not healthy to do so, but yet he does it...
Quote by Colja123

8:52... He sings that C5 , and he's a baritone/bass... You said that I shouldn't bring chest voice up to A#4s, but I was told that this C5 is in pure chest on ken tamplin forums... Is this true? He's a voice teacher, and you said that it's not healthy to do so, but yet he does it...

Did Ken himself actually say it was chest? Pay attention to where the sound is coming from when he is singing that, along with the vibrato. That was not chest, but a very chesty mix. He could sing that for long periods without pain or long term damage (but there would definitely be fatigue, which is normal).
Quote by Colja123
"he ain't going to listen to us"... What tip did you give me? Or did I miss something? You said don't sing A4s with chest... So what, if I have a gig I'll be quiet the whole song? Or what...

We were telling you not to lead yourself down the path to nodules. But it's up to you if you do it or not.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
We were telling you not to lead yourself down the path to nodules. But it's up to you if you do it or not.

Oh... Well, I'll almost surely be in solo singing school, and I'll learn! I don't have any gigs till october, so It's good! Thanks for the tip!

*btw NeoMvsEu: I know that in the context of Gminor, it's Bb4... I'm doing my 8th year of music theory... But that's not so important
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Did Ken himself actually say it was chest? Pay attention to where the sound is coming from when he is singing that, along with the vibrato. That was not chest, but a very chesty mix. He could sing that for long periods without pain or long term damage (but there would definitely be fatigue, which is normal).

Thanks! Another question! As you said, diaphgram is overrated! But how can you sing without your throat hurting then? I can sing with my diapphgram, but I have to think to do it! I can easily hold that A#4 without pain, as much time as I want, if I use the somewhat "correct" technique... I just can't wait for lessons though!
Your thread title is the answer to your question! When you try to sing high notes in chest voice, you are trying to vibrate your entire vocal chord at a very high frequency, but because of the mass, it can causes tears if you try to vibrate something so heavy. In headvoice configuration (which includes 'the mix'), you are only vibrating a portion of the vocal chords. With less mass, it is easier to get the chords to vibrate at a higher speed without tearing. Of course, you need to use the correct resonance chambers to get a rich sound.
Quote by Colja123

We told you to take a break until your voice breaks in completely, and to get a teacher. Does that mean maybe canceling a few gigs? Yes. And you need a teacher, because its obvious you are doing something wrong, if you are hurting that much. Some fatigue is normal after a lot of singing, but a lot of pain is not. And we can sit here and discuss vibrating just a part of your vocals cords until christmas, but that wont help you at all. You need someone to show you what you are doing wrong and to actively guide you when singing. I was wrecking my voice for years, just like you are, and a teacher helped me a lot in a pretty short amount of time, and im very fortunate, that i didnt do any damage to myself. So, you should learn from other peoples mistakes, and not yours, beause once you start getting vocal problems, tey are gonna be really hard to get rid of.
Quote by gorkyporky
We told you to take a break until your voice breaks in completely, and to get a teacher. Does that mean maybe canceling a few gigs? Yes. And you need a teacher, because its obvious you are doing something wrong, if you are hurting that much. Some fatigue is normal after a lot of singing, but a lot of pain is not. And we can sit here and discuss vibrating just a part of your vocals cords until christmas, but that wont help you at all. You need someone to show you what you are doing wrong and to actively guide you when singing. I was wrecking my voice for years, just like you are, and a teacher helped me a lot in a pretty short amount of time, and im very fortunate, that i didnt do any damage to myself. So, you should learn from other peoples mistakes, and not yours, beause once you start getting vocal problems, tey are gonna be really hard to get rid of.

I'll be getting a teacher very soon! Thanks!