College is a sham
10 23%
Being dumb and weak is best
5 11%
Dreadnought is cool
10 23%
Voters: 44.
Page 1 of 8
Saw an article shared on Facebook and it reminded me of an idea that I hate.

I hate when people (college kids) complain about schools spending money on collegiate sports compounds or something, and more generally, when the dorks bemoan athletics as something both disconnected from and inferior to "academics."

Sports and athletics in general can quite obviously be academic in the "field of study" sense, but can also develop and inspire non-"academic" qualities such as leadership, teamwork, etc.

Both are equally important to me, and it pisses me off when someone complains about a school building a $1 million stadium or whatever instead of a 6th library.

Wbu nerds

I'm aware that most of you are supremely unathletic with the possible exception of the foreigners and their "footy"
My God, it's full of stars!
Agreed. Collegiate athletics also brings a lot of money into the school, and launches more careers than many of the fraudulent degrees.
Quote by Dreadnought
And collegiate sports are probably the biggest single source of revenue for many universities.

http://www.espn.com/ncaa/revenue

Universities need less revenue; they need less students. Everybody having a degree cheapens the value of it, as evidenced by life today. Your move, jockscum.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Dreadnought
And collegiate sports are probably the biggest single source of revenue for many universities.

That doesn't mean they should get to make that much more than our Womyn Studies professors. They should really consider a pledge to accept lower wages in all fairness
Quote by Fat Lard
That doesn't mean they should get to make that much more than our Womyn Studies professors. They should really consider a pledge to accept lower wages in all fairness

Why?
Quote by StewieSwan
Universities need less revenue; they need less students. Everybody having a degree cheapens the value of it, as evidenced by life today. Your move, jockscum.

So you think academics are even LESS important than athletics

Quote by Fat Lard
Wow... seriously?

Wow yeah.

Why should all employees of a school be paid the same?
Though I don't enjoy sports that don't involve me aiming at a target on my own, I can see why people are inspired by team activities.

In my youth, perhaps due in some part to ressentiment, I found the loyalty in some team sports to more resemble some sort of cult. In some ways I still feel this, particularly about popular football, but believe that to a player such experiences can be invaluable.

Universities are generally for-profit and if they want to spend their money that way they can.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 16, 2016,
playing sports in school has a number of positives and is an integral part of education

But I think sports are great anyway
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Dreadnought
So you think academics are even LESS important than athletics

I think academics and sports should have separate schools tbh.
Quote by Banjocal
Though I don't enjoy sports that don't involve me aiming at a target on my own, I can see why people are inspired by team activities.

In my youth, perhaps due in some part to ressentiment, I found the loyalty in some team sports to more resemble some sort of cult. In some ways I still feel this, particularly about popular football, but believe that to a player such experiences can be invaluable.

LOL obviously it's from resentment, that's the archetypal attitude shared by every "I'm so good at books and test but the big mean sportsters are more coordinated than me and I don't understand camaraderie" person in history
Quote by behind_you
"$1 million to build a stadium"

[Citation Needed]

"or whatever" implies no citation necessary

Also shut up and put pads on nerd

Quote by StewieSwan
I think academics and sports should have separate schools tbh.

Yah and music too. Also a different one for the soft sciences
Was it about that guy at New Hampshire? Cuz honestly I see their point, if he spent his whole career as a librarian maybe using his life savings for a scoreboard isn't so appropriate.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Was it about that guy at New Hampshire? Cuz honestly I see their point, if he spent his whole career as a librarian maybe using his life savings for a scoreboard isn't so appropriate.

Thanks for the input, Stalin

That actually does sound familiar, but I didn't read the article. It just reminded me of ~thoughts

This was the cringey comment that did it

"Imagine a world where we invested the money we spend on athletics towards intellectual pursuits instead."
Quote by Dreadnought
LOL obviously it's from resentment, that's the archetypal attitude shared by every "I'm so good at books and test but the big mean sportsters are more coordinated than me and I don't understand camaraderie" person in history

I think that you're relying on something of a caricature there. But if it helps you sleep at night.

Some of it was that I was socially ostracised, but that's by the by. It was the screaming at televisions, the fan violence that was often reported on the news and the unwavering team-allegiance that confused me. It seemed highly irrational, and I found no enjoyment in that. I found that things like archery were much more interesting to me, and I learned camaraderie from other group work

I don't feel as much the same way now, but I think that's because in smaller teams and especially in HE environments, there's a healthier approach to it all.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 16, 2016,
I support both, but not at the same level. Academic endeavors are more valuable to society than athletic ones.

Name a single athletic pursuit that has had even 10% of the impact that the lowly transistor, an academic achievement, has had.

Hell, how about 1%? .1%?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Imagine how many influential and powerful individuals would have turned out differently had it not been for team sports and athletic endeavors ?

Imagine how the conquest of nations through antiquity would have differed if "athletic pursuits" were foregone ??

How do we quantify impact ???

Also the comparison of value between "athletic pursuit" and a technological invention as an argument for the differentiation between and relative importance of athletics v academics is intellectually impotent.

That's a shitty argument
Quote by Arby911
Name a single athletic pursuit that has had even 10% of the impact that the lowly transistor, an academic achievement, has had.

Gatorade
Quote by Rossenrot
Also, women's athletic teams.

You disgust me
Quote by Rossenrot
Also, women's athletic teams.

take it to the cringe thread
Quote by StewieSwan
take it to the cringe thread

Take it to the suppressed sexuality thread

Quote by Dreadnought
You disgust me

I voted "Dreadnought is cool" and now I'm honestly feeling so attacked.
Quote by Dreadnought

my school probably makes less than 5 figures a year in ticket sales for a total of like 20 teams

revenue huh
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
my school probably makes less than 5 figures a year in ticket sales for a total of like 20 teams

revenue huh

Middle school doesn't count
Quote by Dreadnought
Imagine how many influential and powerful individuals would have turned out differently had it not been for team sports and athletic endeavors ?

Imagine how the conquest of nations through antiquity would have differed if "athletic pursuits" were foregone ??

How do we quantify impact ???

Also the comparison of value between "athletic pursuit" and a technological invention as an argument for the differentiation between and relative importance of athletics v academics is intellectually impotent.

That's a shitty argument

You might not like it but that hardly makes it a shitty argument. It's a quantifiable good, as opposed to your qualitative and unprovable claims, which gives it a validity you can't match.

Both conquest and character are multifaceted pursuits, your claim of athletic predominance in either is unsupportable. Without intellect, Alexander of Macedon would have been merely a second-rate thug that no one ever heard of.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You might not like it but that hardly makes it a shitty argument. It's a quantifiable good, as opposed to your qualitative and unprovable claims, which gives it a validity you can't match.

Both conquest and character are multifaceted pursuits, your claim of athletic predominance in either is unsupportable. Without intellect, Alexander of Macedon would have been merely a second-rate thug that no one ever heard of.

Was he your childhood buddy lmao
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Was he your childhood buddy lmao

Who do you think taught him?
Charles Darwin
I don't really care for this conversation but you're pretty cool I guess so there's my vote
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Arby911
Who do you think taught him?

Aristotle taught him you stupid OH MY GOD
Quote by Arby911

I'm not the one claiming a lesser or greater importance for either, you are. I think both are important
Quote by eGraham
I don't really care for this conversation but you're pretty cool I guess so there's my vote
nice man thanks
Quote by StewieSwan
there goes dread yankin yer dicks again

Take it to the gay thread
I like team sports and weight training and I do a lot of independent sports like skateboarding and cycling. I'd consider myself pretty fit.

I played basketball and soccer in middleschool and cross country in highschool. I think sports should be funded more. They keep kids in school, and they keep them busy honing a skill instead of doing drugs or trying to get laid all the time.

It's educational value is the same as funding the chess club, Etc
but I wouldn't put it before school work or textbook funding for example
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Agree. Team sports, especially collegiate and higher level league/rep help shape and encourage important characteristic growth and abilities. As mentioned leadership, also chemistry, perseverance, trust, etc etc.
the wicked flee when no man pursueth but the righteous are as bold as a lion