Page 1 of 2
It is Friday . I have drinks tonight, coincidentally. Metal is also on my mind. I am drinking the beer pictured and also enjoying some dope ass killer metal by the name of CRYPTOPSY. None so vile.

http://I.imgur.com/gPvu97d.jpg

So boys, what are we drinking (or other substance) and what films are you indulging? Any metal?

I'll change the title later. Right now I cannot be arsed. Also watching Heavy Metal the movie. From 81, with loads of animals titties.
Yeah drinking peroni. Housemates have their music going at the moment. It sounds like some kind of alternative rock garage punk thing. There will be metal later. Might put those first 2 Cryptopsy albums on now that you mention it. Do they have good stuff after None So Vile?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
Do they have good stuff after None So Vile?

They invented blackened slam with The Unspoken King.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Their self-titled was decent, never cared for anything between NSV and then. NSV is king, and not an unspoken one at that.

Tonight I plan on having a few drams of Cardhu, and watching this. If it is actually a knock off of Fury Road, and not just marketed as such for whatever reason, it's fairly impressive to snare one of the starring actors from that movie to be in it. And even if it isn't, Michael Shannon rarely disappoints anyway. I think I'll probably put on some Bolt Thrower later tonight, in remembrance

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Now blasting Sonicrime Therapy by GISM since I saw it on top of r/metal. My least listened GISM album. I'll probably feel compelled to listen to Detestation next
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Drank a boatload, feel like trash today. Watched several garbage movies yesterday. Including: Don't Mess With the Zohan, and Wild Hogs.

One of those, "is there where my life is? what happened?" nights.

This morning is coffee and The Comes.

and no, nothing after None So Vile is worth your ears. It's the pinnacle and the end of enjoyment for Cryptopsy.

AS for Michael Shannon, I think the only thing I hated him in was Iceman or whatever it was called. The one about the serial killer.
Last night was copious amounts of Argentinian Malbec, Bombay Gin and Gekkeikan Sake with;

Bolzer - Aura and Roman Acupuncture
I listened to the new sneak peak for the upcoming album and was so thoroughly bored by it that I had to listen to these guys. Even my bud who has little to nothing to do with this side of Metal heard the massive difference between III and Entranced by the Wolfshook. I'm still gonna hear the full length out but I already know there's 10 minutes of relative filler. Maybe it's a grower? Doubtful.

Summoning - Stronghold
Apparently a few poofters dislike this one? I love the red, romantic sadness that pervades the whole experience. Everything feels so operatic and panoramic when it is not painted with thick strokes of acrylic and oils. I can feel the quiet, noble suffering of the protagonist, I can see the distant burning towers and I can smell the snow with its ash. Most Summoning albums invite, or really force, you into their world and you feel transported. Stronghold feels more like a painting or opera so vivid I can feel it in my bones.

Misery's Omen - Hope Dies
The last croaking gasp from a fallen, ruinous cyclopean landscape of craven idol worship from a deep, subterranean blue truth that predates the earliest millenniums of man. A singular vision seeing completion. Worship.

Hellhammer - Demon Entrails
UGH!

Kreator - Infernal Devastation
The Ritual has one of my favorite thrash riffs ever. Pretty sure Tormentor got their name from this album.

Mgła - With Hearts Toward None
A muscle bound ascent upon a mountain of defeat to spit piss and vinegar at hope. A shitty mood without being groan inducing.

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom…
I was very drunk at this point.

THIS MORNING A LOT OF COFFEE AND

DREAM CATALOGUE
http://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Sep 17, 2016,
those who do not appreciate stronghold are not welcome IN THIS FORUM

Mandatory listening

also

Tonight, I am drinking the same french sounding beer, hohn hohn hohn

, and enjoying the pleasant sounds of the Dark Souls III soundtrack. PARTICULARLY Dragonslayer Armour.

That was a few minutes ago, so now I'm onto Half in the Bag by RedLetterMedia. These guys are hilarious, and terrible. A wonderful package of conflicting emotions, but enjoyable to the extreme.
Earlier:
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
Melvins - Lysol
Melvins - Houdini

Now:
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Forgot how amazing A Blaze... is. Pure hypnotic evil.

Up next is probably gunna be Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon. The purest, most primal kind of evil.

This thread reminded me I've been meaning to just binge the fuck out of Summoning. Been too long since I've listened to that goddamn masterpiece of a band.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Sep 17, 2016,
Are the Melvins worth the praise they get? I've only listened briefly a long time ago and never listened again.

Coffee and Kerasphorus this morning. Always helps with waking up.
Quote by severed-metal
Are the Melvins worth the praise they get? I've only listened briefly a long time ago and never listened again.

Coffee and Kerasphorus this morning. Always helps with waking up.
The Melvins have been one of my favorite bands for a long time. I can't guarantee it'll be up your alley, but they have an extremely unique sound people love to ape, and it's certainly something you might like if you like relatively simplistic, minimalist music with Punk influences, Black Sabbath influences and cool fuckin riffs with occasional weird grooves and nonsensical lyrics.
Just don't go into it expecting Metal. Especially not their later stuff. The vibe feels way more Punk to me (just think side B of Black Flag - My War but heavier and weirder)
They're a really tight band, though, and I've always appreciated the chemistry between Buzz and Dale.
I'd say listen to Houdini or Ozma if you want something more straightforward.

Today I think I will start that Summoning binge.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Sep 18, 2016,
Proggys patented Dunkin Donuts iced coffee while wearing my new nonprescription lenses (totally chic and way better than Marcus Halberstram's) while rocking Boys Don't Cry by the Cure
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Lysol really is the way to go. As Ironic says, most of it hits at sludge at the very closest to metal. Bullhead is well worth some attention, too.

I've been listening to Elder and drinking oolong like the loser I am.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
When you said Lysol, I thought of something difference. I mean I know that this thread is about substances, but that would have been getting a bit carried away.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
fortunately, no. Though it'd explain the inspiration for that album.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
As far as the Melvin's go, I always liked Gluey Porch Treatments and Houdini the best, followed closely by Lysol. Stoner Witch and A Senile Animal were Ok. And I guess Bullhead is alright.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
As far as the Melvin's go, I always liked Gluey Porch Treatments and Houdini the best, followed closely by Lysol. Stoner Witch and A Senile Animal were Ok. And I guess Bullhead is alright.
Gluey Porch Treatments is cool, but a little rough for me. Has really cool moments, but the album just mostly is average IMO, and bores me at times.
Can't choose a favorite between Lysol and Houdini. Ozma close behind. I'd say Houdini easily, but I wish it didn't have Spread Eagle Beagle on it.

I mostly get bored after Stag, so I don't listen to their later albums much. Stoner Witch is pretty cool, though, and Stag is neat for how weird it is.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Sep 18, 2016,
Quote by severed-metal

That was a few minutes ago, so now I'm onto Half in the Bag by RedLetterMedia. These guys are hilarious, and terrible. A wonderful package of conflicting emotions, but enjoyable to the extreme.

RLM is one of the best youtube channels. I legitimately watch 50% of the stuff that shows up on their "Best of the Worst" videos.
Shit ton of traditional Arabic styled coffee and Enslaved - Vikingligr veldi in preparation for the finally coming upon us LP! Am I the only one feeling the aches of time in anticipation for this? It's finally here.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Never got into Enslaved. Hmm. Maybe this week might be the time.

Currently drinking a Mocha iced cap and getting ready for work while ANGEL WITCH plays. Got to angel of death, what a belter
Quote by beadhangingOne
RLM is one of the best youtube channels. I legitimately watch 50% of the stuff that shows up on their "Best of the Worst" videos.

I've seen a few good ones on the BotW. Namely Miami Connection most of those films I am baffled they even bothered with...but why not I guess haha. Not too far into best of the worst yet, usually watch it before bed with my girl. Half in the bag though I went ham on. Love their awful cynical viewpoints . Mike's humour just floors me. Him, Jay and Rich are the greatest combination.
Quote by severed-metal
Never got into Enslaved. Hmm. Maybe this week might be the time.

This is weird.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I have heard them, but really only vertebrae. Anything else was brief, or buried beneath the Sands of time.

I own vertebrae actually. Heck yeah.
Vertebrae was my initial incursion with them, but the true quality is Vikingligr Veldi and Hordanes Land
HESSIAN HAREM
Just got back from the gym after a 5 month hiatus, so drinking water, and water and whey. I love scotch, but have shit acid reflux, so can't handle really any alcohol anymore without getting a burning throat.

Blood Incantation got me back into metal recently, and I listened to Incantation's Diabolic Conquest and Necromantia' Scarlet evil witching black.

SCARLET
WITCHING
DREAMS

Oh, also ordered Urfaust's first album from hellsheadbangers.
Last edited by landry9 at Sep 26, 2016,
Acid + rock climbing at deserted beach ended the trip staring into darkness while listening to Individual Thought Patterns in its entirety on Saturday night. Strong album, some of Death's best moments on it (eg Trapped in a Corner) but could stand to be just a little less tryhard proggy lol

MHDrunk

Trapped in a Corner is such a kickass song. Definitely one of Death's best songs.
I always felt Human was the superior record for that reason. More formulaic song structures, but solid nonetheless
HESSIAN HAREM
drank a bunch of port tonight, i honestly dont mind the stuff even if it's a little on the sweet side.. Walked the dog and listened to coloured sands followed by promulgation of the fall. Not sure about the former yet but impressed by the latter, good to see DC were able to back up graves with another strong LP.
night walks around my area of Melbourne are so fucking metal as well, it's awesome, there's always heaps of bats around which make for a nice back drop
progbass Human is my favourite 90s Death album too

I think Leprosy takes the cake for better overall songs but Human isn't far behind. Certainly my favorite lineup
HESSIAN HAREM
Somewhere down the line me and MHD got separated at birth. Human's also my favourite. I think it has the better riffs and the intensity is hard to match. Maybe not as intense as Scream Bloody Gore, but up there for sure. Album feels claustrophobic. Death are the perfect entry level death metal band.

Haven't had an arbitrary Death rating period in quite some time!

Human > Spiritual Healing > Scream Bloody Gore > ITP > Leprosy > Symbolic

but eh truthfully they're all about even. Except for Sop and Symbolic, where Symbolic is beneath the others and then SoP is far beneath the others.

Anyways, cup of mcdonalds coffee and Gates of Slumber today. Fuck heavy riffing.
TSoP is just gross really.

I do not understand the pure hatred for TSoP. It's not a great album, but Jesus do you guys hate it. I don't care for Death outside of Leprosy, but I'm a sucker for that cover of Painkiller on TSoP and I still like a few riffs at the very least.
I might be the only person who enjoys TSoP

I know it's not a great album, but I seem to have a soft spot for it since it was the album that got me into more extreme metal.
Well you listen to Scavenger of Human Sorrow for 20 seconds and its like 'yes Chuck, you can play the guitar'. Its the musical equivalent of swallowing a thesaurus and ending up a screenshot on r/iamverysmart

Now Leprosy's an interesting choice. I'm curious to know what put you off about SBG and Spiritual Healing. SBG is an amazing album and with Reifert's midas touch is up there as one of the best of the 80s

I thought SBG was fantastic and that Leprosy was essentially a continuation of that but with a keener understanding. It's one of those rare sophomore albums that just takes the debut to a new level and shows the band's progress. In short, SBG was the yard stick and Leprosy showed what real quality was, but it's a symbiotic relationship.

Spiritual Healing just seemed boring to me. It just didn't click, the riffs weren't engaging, I was just terminally bored with it the whole way through.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by MHDrunk
Well you listen to Scavenger of Human Sorrow for 20 seconds and its like 'yes Chuck, you can play the guitar'. Its the musical equivalent of swallowing a thesaurus and ending up a screenshot on r/iamverysmart

Now Leprosy's an interesting choice. I'm curious to know what put you off about SBG and Spiritual Healing. SBG is an amazing album and with Reifert's midas touch is up there as one of the best of the 80s
Nah, I get what you're saying. I feel the same way about TSOP but I've heard albums FAR worse on the masturbation scale than that album, so I just never got the utter hatred for that album in particular.

For me, SBG bored me, but it's been a while since I've heard it, and I was never a big Death fan anyway. I liked Spiritual Healing, but it never tickled my fancy like Leprosy does. Leprosy is really the only album of theirs I ever return to. I always just felt that Leprosy was the peak of their songwriting, had the best riffs, had accomplished musicianship, and didn't fall into that trap of technical masturbation like the later albums. It's just the sweet spot in their discography for me. The only album of theirs that goes beyond "oh yeah, that albums alright" for me.

It's a shame I don't care for most of their music because I will always have a soft spot for Chuck's voice.
Public service announcement

Chuck was a dirty Jew

lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Sep 29, 2016,
I change my mind. ITP and Human tie for first. DiGiorgio and Hoglan are a sick combination.

and for Chuck's vocals, you can find similar styled vocals with Obituary, Morgoth and Unholier. Some stuff you should check out if you haven't!

Page 1 of 2