G'day to all from Sydney Australia..
This is my 1st post as im a newbie to the forum..
My priority question is- can anyone out there ( with certainty ) clarify the difference between an American made and Japanese made Hm Strat? ..all research thus far by me and others i know ( including emailing Fender directly ) have not been able to verify a sure way of distinguishing these models.. im hoping there is an hm strat guru out there to enlighten my interest..before i dive in and buy yet another wishlist guilt-ar...thankyou and cheers in advance
@ Ippon yes thanks for that..its already an avenue ive exhausted..im hoping someone out there in the UG community has more precise knowledge of these models..i have a seller in Australia offering me one but we are unable to confirm its 'made in' origins...cheers for your input
check the neck heel or neck pocket. that is probably the easiest way to differentiate.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
@trashedlostfdup cheers mate ? what exactly am i looking for though? Serial number? Heel type? Regards
usually there are some numbers in the neck pocket (maybe date, serial number, QC person) once you take the neck off. when you have the neck out take a look at heel of the neck for similar things. i am relatively confident you would find something there relevant to country of origin.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Fyi..the instrument im looking at has an aqua coloured body (which is my preference) but it has a maple neck with 'pink' swoosh under the 'Strat' logo on the headstock ..that is new to me..is that normal? Or does it sound like the neck was replaced? The guitar was said to be purchased in the U.S which maybe true but finding the proof is almost impossible :/

here is a example i pulled off of google.

strat talk forums may help a little bit too. i stop by there once in a while, good bunch of guys.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by imetdimebag
Fyi..the instrument im looking at has an aqua coloured body (which is my preference) but it has a maple neck with 'pink' swoosh under the 'Strat' logo on the headstock ..that is new to me..is that normal? Or does it sound like the neck was replaced? The guitar was said to be purchased in the U.S which maybe true but finding the proof is almost impossible :/

I am pretty sure that the swoosh is there, but don't take me as you're only source on that. lol.

I don't want to be "that" guy, but as long as it is priced reasonably and plays well, i would get it. the MIJ's are fantastic guitars from the ones I have played they are pretty comparable to the US models. but i have a feeling that the price it fetches is a little bit different.

the best thing to do is to take the neck off. but if that is not possible, it may be a crap shoot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yep theyre awesome..relatively unknown to most these days but those who know or knew them would agree..
I owned one 20yrs ago..hindsight is a b@tch..i wish i kept it now
Quote by imetdimebag
Yep theyre awesome..relatively unknown to most these days but those who know or knew them would agree..
I owned one 20yrs ago..hindsight is a b@tch..i wish i kept it now

i would be kicking myself in the ass too... haha. i know i have seen at least one on here just in passing in the last few years. not many though, that is for sure. i would like to see some pics of it if you have them. as far as the MIJ/MIA thing, if the price is fair, you can't go wrong IMO.

i would love to pick up a MIJ fender. i work on a guy's older '62 MIJ RI double bound tobacco sunburst tele that i am ALWAYS trying to buy off of him. i don't know what is so magic about that tele, i just love it. i have three MIA teles, and i like them just as much.

ippon knows his MIJ stuff pretty well, hopefully he will pop back in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
There used to be a HM strat forum with all kinds of info, not sure it exists any longer. The pink means it was one of the earlier years. I bought mine in the fall of '88. The only issue you may run into is the soft metal that the trem is made from. All the bolts on the spidyr trem have stripped on mine. Replaced most of them, but the replacements are in pretty rough shape now. Since it was the first guitar I bought with my own money, she's a case queen now

Did a quick google search, the forum is still there. Here's some info for you:

http://heavymetalstrat.proboards.com/thread/714/usa-japan-models-serial-numbers
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Cheers Darth..truth is ive been to that link myself some time ago..i guess whats confusing me also on the matter..is the pink swoosh on the headstock on an aqua coloured body ( the guitar in question that im looking at is said to be all original..the one i owned many years ago had the aqua swoosh matching the body paint..and most examples i still see have the coinciding colour match..im still willing to buy it as its in near pristine condition..but knowing its true origin is a work in progress for now..thanks again for your input much appreciated ?
From all I can see, the ice blues all had that color as the stripe. So it's possible that one is made from parts.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Thats exactly the question i asked the owner mate..but its said to be passed down from a family member..and rarely played since new..its a maple too not the rosewood..if i stop buying other guitars itll eventually be my next guilt trip :/
For the record my best friend has an MIJ HM Strat from the late 80s the headstock is painted black and it says "Strat" with a sorta wavy pink underline it looks exactly like the photo below and FWIW is is an awesome guitar he will not come off of it, I have tried

If it were a U.S.A. made guitar it would say so on the headstock for the HM Strat, the guitar is likely MIJ and could very well have been purchased in the U.S.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 19, 2016,
US will say made in US somewhere on it. the Japanese ones are most likely made of Basswood. US are most likely Alder or perhaps Poplar.
have you thought of looking in old fender catalogs? that could help with the color of the stripe maybe. they have to be archived somewhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!