Page 1 of 2
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by TobusRex
Good God I hate "bands" where nobody plays an instrument.
yeah fuck vocal quartets am i right
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal

Yeah..unless you are 95 years old.
Damn I better throw out all my Bach shit
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Damn I better throw out all my Bach shit

He was into the Statler Brothers too?
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
what do you call a girl band that retires?

gone girls

shut up there's not much to work with ok
What do you call an OAP band that retires?

Whatever you called them in the first place, they were old already hahahahahahahahahahahaha
I have nothing important to say
"boy bands" like One Direction pretty much aren't even bands
they're just singers mostly, the production and actual musianship that goes into the recording process is usually just studio guys that never even get any fame at all.
these kids are just chosen by some big record producer and they're thrown into the studio and literally packaged and manufactured catered to teen girls

yuck
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
they're just singers mostly, the production and actual musianship that goes into the recording process is usually just studio guys that never even get any fame at all.
these kids are just chosen by some big record producer and they're thrown into the studio and literally packaged and manufactured catered to teen girls

yuck
on the bright side, all of them eventually become running jokes.

Backstreet's back ALRIGHT
Quote by k.lainad

yuck

Oh wow i never knew that cool story bro
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

you're welcome bro

just enlightening the pit one post at a time
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

k.lainad...you pretty much listed the reasons I have no respect for boy bands either

I don't see calling singers without instrument "bands". That's called a chorus. Maybe a glee club. Maybe a quartet. Not "band".
Boy quartet has no alliteration. Ugly rich lazy people like alliteration they can market.
Quote by Banjocal
Voice is an instrument
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Voice is an instrument
That sounds more impressive if said about, say, David Coverdale than Big Time Rush :P
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Voice is an instrument

Only when you are blowing it into a horn, or harmonica
Quote by Spinnerweb
That sounds more impressive if said about, say, David Coverdale than Big Time Rush :P
Have no idea what Big Time Rush is, but it sounds like one of those boring-ass "indie" "folk"-"rock" bands all my friends inexplicably like, in which case I agree wholeheartedly. David Coverdale has a great voice too.

I'm a music major so even though everybody, including professors, tend to make the mistake of categorizing us either as singers or instrumentalists (and in many cases, singers or musicians), we all ultimately know to and treat vocalists as instrumentalists.

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
I never said all actors are cattle; what I said was all actors should be treated like cattle.

Alfred Hitchcock
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Have no idea what Big Time Rush is, but it sounds like one of those boring-ass "indie" "folk"-"rock" bands all my friends inexplicably like, in which case I agree wholeheartedly. David Coverdale has a great voice too.

I'm a music major so even though everybody, including professors, tend to make the mistake of categorizing us either as singers or instrumentalists (and in many cases, singers or musicians), we all ultimately know to and treat vocalists as instrumentalists.

Nah, they're another boy band lmao
how are you gonna be smug about boy bands
what are we all, 14?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by soundgarden1986
the worst boy bands are the ones like 5 seconds of summer where they try to look all PUNK ROCK and shit

5sos piss me off to no fucking end

cuz here I am trying to write songs and putting everything I can into it, and here come these black shirt, ripped jean, safety pin wearing 12 year olds playing Jonas brothers songs with more distortion and they get nominated for awards

but, what are ya gonna do
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by TobusRex
Yeah..unless you are 95 years old.

these guys will fuck you up ok

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I like the JONAS BROTHERS.
I don't like DREAM THEATER.

or something

To be fair, the old boy bands were great. The Beatles, the Beach Boys, and I bet we can consider the Jacksons a boy band too.

Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Sep 17, 2016,
Quote by MinterMan22
I like the JONAS BROTHERS.
I don't like DREAM THEATER.

or something

You say DREAM THEATER I say JONAS BROTHERS
You say METALLICA I say MILEY CYRUS

etc
Quote by kalypto
You say DREAM THEATER I say JONAS BROTHERS
You say METALLICA I say MILEY CYRUS

etc
2010 called.

They want their edgy Youtube comments back.

egegegegegegege
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Wolfinator-x
To be fair, the old boy bands were great. The Beatles, the Beach Boys, and I bet we can consider the Jacksons a boy band too.
The thing is, at least for the Beatles, they were extremely proficient songwriters too. They managed to write hits not only for themselves but for other artists. I don't know as much about the Beach Boys and the Jacksons but I think it's the same case for them to an extent. Current boy bands don't write their own songs, their producers do.
guys guys guys how fuckin hilarious is it that almost every late 90's/early 2000's boy band was paid for by one of the largest ponzi schemes in history lol
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by Spinnerweb
The thing is, at least for the Beatles, they were extremely proficient songwriters too. They managed to write hits not only for themselves but for other artists. I don't know as much about the Beach Boys and the Jacksons but I think it's the same case for them to an extent. Current boy bands don't write their own songs, their producers do.
Brian Wilson, the core member of the Beach Boys, wrote practically everything they did, and he is excellent at it. As for the Jacksons, it's a little of both; they have original songs and some written by others (such as Blame It On the Boogie, which was written by a Jackson with no relation to the brothers).

A big problem I have with a lot of artists is that they don't write their own material like you say, and they don't really make up for it like jazz musicians do by making already well-known songs their own. That doesn't take away from some artists being talented interpreters, but as a composer myself, I find it sad that we all know who Céline Dion is (not that she doesn't deserve it), but almost nobody knows who Diane Warren is in comparison, even if she wrote a ton of hit songs for various artists, including Céline. For example, she wrote Don't Wanna Miss a Thing which was performed by Aerosmith.

Composers should be getting just as much if not more prestige and love than performers who don't compose. This is at least true for classical music: David Garrett may be famous because he's a talented violinist and Vladimir Horowitz may be famous because he was a talented pianist, but most people know Beethoven before they know either of these interpreters, and they all deserve respect.

On the other hand, I have a few songs I don't ever intend on playing myself for whatever reason, so if it weren't for the possibility of writing a song so someone else can perform it (in many cases, songwriters will write songs with specific performers in mind -- in fact, sometimes these songwriters won't even manage to get them because they're busy, or simply not interested), these works would never be performed, even if they're good. I actually want to write for some of my friends who don't write original material for this reason. They've also put a lot of hard work and effort to become talented performers and they deserve the prestige for that, although most composers are also interpreters to a degree.

TL;DR -- Basically, I don't so much have a problem with performers who don't compose as I do with the fact that they're the stars, with love, fame and influence, and not so much the writers. Ella Fitzgerald was a superb singer, but she exclusively sang songs written by talented but somewhat lesser-known people.

Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Sep 17, 2016,
Here in Portugal everyone says "boys band" instead of boy band for some reason. That's all I have to add.
valuable input friendcisco

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Page 1 of 2