My dad can reach a C2, sometimes a bit lower. I heard that basses that can sing C5s in head voice, have a higher head voice range, but he can go up to F#5... What the hell is that? I don't know how high his chest goes, but the lowest as I said is C2... So that's not a baritone right?
Depends, You can be a tenor and still reach even G1 (with proper technique, ex. Danny Worsnop - Going Nowhere Fast (in one of the last verses he goes really low)). It's more a question of tessitura (which can be trained as we're shown by many, like Axl, Freddie) and most important - timbre.

Speaking voice also vary. Not necessarily a person with speaking voice around A2-C3 will be actually a baritone. There are no "perfect voices", you will always differ at least a bit. And just for you to know - your dad might be a bass, but you might take i.e. after your grandfather (from mother's or father's side) and you might be even a tenor. There's some correlation about voice, but there are always exception, if that's what really worrying you.

So without any audio recording, you can't tell anything for sure. Especially based only on a range.

*And just to note - there are also some tenors that are having hard time trying to hit a C5.
CrossX32

I don't think that vocal type can be taken from anyone from the family! No one in my family is a tenor... They're baritone/basses. For now, my range is:
Chest: A2 (kind of hard to hit)-A#4. I don't know how to sing in mix, so I can't go any higher than an A#4. Kind of limits my live performance (led zeppelin rock n roll)... Anyways, my highest head voice note is g6, I am most comfortable singing from A3-D4! I need to get a bit louder at F-F#4.

What do you think I am?

Oh, forgot to mention! My dad's speaking voice is like F-G2 if I am correct! My speaking voice is D#3-E3.
Last edited by Colja123 at Sep 29, 2016,
Well, again, that depends, there's a lot of countertenors, that in fact are baritones, just they're able to reach pretty high notes, so again - range is not a factor to judge on. Still, you might never make it to C5, while being a tenor. That happens.

And about "taking from" - "No one in my family is a tenor... They're baritone/basses", being a bass is a pretty rare thing, so you said it yourself... :p

Now, from what I believe, you might be still going through voice changes due to puberty. So if you're around ~14-19, this might happen. Otherwise, chest A#4 is really high, even for untrained tenor, and mostly not possible for bari (except, i.e. verdi). So you're most likely a tenor. But as I said, if you're going through puberty - your voice will most likely lower.

But you can be a good vocalist being even basso-profondo... Just might need to look for a right genre.

And speaking voice is not the best indicator.

About your dad - still no way of really figuring out without audio.
Quote by CrossX32
Well, again, that depends, there's a lot of countertenors, that in fact are baritones, just they're able to reach pretty high notes, so again - range is not a factor to judge on. Still, you might never make it to C5, while being a tenor. That happens.

And about "taking from" - "No one in my family is a tenor... They're baritone/basses", being a bass is a pretty rare thing, so you said it yourself... :p

Now, from what I believe, you might be still going through voice changes due to puberty. So if you're around ~14-19, this might happen. Otherwise, chest A#4 is really high, even for untrained tenor, and mostly not possible for bari (except, i.e. verdi). So you're most likely a tenor. But as I said, if you're going through puberty - your voice will most likely lower.

But you can be a good vocalist being even basso-profondo... Just might need to look for a right genre.

And speaking voice is not the best indicator.

About your dad - still no way of really figuring out without audio.

Yeah, but the problem is that I like hard rock (deep purple, guns n roses,...). Take a listen to deep purple- burn! David coverdale is a baritone, but he's hitting C5s... I think I'll get a teacher soon, so I can't wait for that!
Corey Taylor is a Baritone, maybe even dramatic one, what does not stop him from going crazy high with a lot of vocal weight and that sounds great. And there are a lot of different Baritones that reach notes that not many tenors could. It's mostly question of your vocal technique.

Mostly, what you can sing with your head voice, even really thin one - you'll be able to reproduce with better quality over time. Most of vocalists has around 3 octaves. And trust me, there are many people that are happy to hit an E4, really! And what's most important, tenor, bari, bass is still male classification. Upon training, you'll be able to sing well and sound even better, doesn't matter what vocal class. you'll get.

If you're worried about going Bari/bass low, then I got here something, to calm your heart:
He's something around dramatic bari/bass-bari. It's all about the technique, my dear. Oh, and he did some covers of Sleeping With Sirens.
His growls and screams sounds perfect because of his vocal weight, and also highs are tenor-like.

Hope that calmed you. Just train and keep us posted. (;
Quote by CrossX32
Corey Taylor is a Baritone, maybe even dramatic one, what does not stop him from going crazy high with a lot of vocal weight and that sounds great. And there are a lot of different Baritones that reach notes that not many tenors could. It's mostly question of your vocal technique.

Mostly, what you can sing with your head voice, even really thin one - you'll be able to reproduce with better quality over time. Most of vocalists has around 3 octaves. And trust me, there are many people that are happy to hit an E4, really! And what's most important, tenor, bari, bass is still male classification. Upon training, you'll be able to sing well and sound even better, doesn't matter what vocal class. you'll get.

If you're worried about going Bari/bass low, then I got here something, to calm your heart:
He's something around dramatic bari/bass-bari. It's all about the technique, my dear. Oh, and he did some covers of Sleeping With Sirens.
His growls and screams sounds perfect because of his vocal weight, and also highs are tenor-like.

Hope that calmed you. Just train and keep us posted. (;

That's not really my type of music, but holy shit... That dude is crazy