Okay, my music theory is a little sketchy. but I know about chords scales and the chords the can be built from each degree of the scale etc, but I came across this video on youtube while looking for a jam track to play along with.

At 5:10 the jam track stops and the guy in the video start busting out some licks and breaking them down showing you what hes doing, i've linked the video at the bottom for those who want to help. So the jam track itself is in A minor, and the lick he plays starts of with some pretty standard position 1 aminor pentatonic stuff, he then slides down and plays and E minor arpeggio, followed by a F# diminshed arpeggio and finishes the lick off with a G major arpeggio.

Can some one explain how he might have come to pick this choice of notes, it sounds really cool against the A minor progression to my ears. My understanding is that both the E minor chords and G major chords can be built from the notes in A minor, but I don't get where the f# diminshed comes from?

Can any help?

link to video

(skip to 5:10)
The guy is only playing over two chords in the backing track: A minor and G major. There is no F# diminished chord.

On the other hand, there are a few F# notes. Natural 6 in minor gives a Dorian feel. (modal) To me, the natural 6 gives a more perky character to the lick.

He talks about shapes, but melodic shapes (guitar shapes) do not dictate harmony (what group of notes is here).
Quote by MazRocks

Can some one explain how he might have come to pick this choice of notes, it sounds really cool against the A minor progression to my ears.

Yeah, he picked a cool choice of notes so you would think it sounded cool and hopefully not notice his mediocre vibrato.

Apparently it worked.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I mean I was wondering if that was too harsh (on the guy making the video I mean, not the threadstarter), but at the same time he's setting himself up as a teacher, so...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't really give a toss about his vibrato, i'm interested in his choice of notes
fair point
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?