Firstly, I'm not an advanced player. I study away from my home.
I have an Ibanez SZR520. I can say that it's well worn. I'm the third owner. I got it for a really good price few years ago.
Now I wonder if I should buy a new guitar here where I study, or take SZR520 to an overhaul and ask someone to bring it to me. (I can do the second option in a week)
I can spend $500 max. I'll also buy Rocksmith after this, to play guitar on computer and practice.
I'm open for all suggestions.
Depends on the overhaul we're talking about. I wouldn't look at new guitars in the $500 range - I'd rather go for used, Godin usually have great used prices as they are a bit underrated, I got an LG for $320 and I would put it against a Gibson Les Paul with ease...well, it is a bit of an ugly duckling but a great player. This one is same as mine:
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 17, 2016,
Used Godins on eBay cover a lot of territory, in the of visual style.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-Guitars/33034/i.html?_from=R40&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=550&_nkw=godin&_dcat=33034&rt=nc

There are some real gems on that list, too- even some I've put on my watch list. Shopping there or on Reverb.com will recal hundreds of options,

Not just on Godins, either- you should be able to find good deals in your price range on G&L Tributes, Ibanezes, and other makers as well.

But the keys to deciding are how messed up your Ibby is, how soon do you need to act, and- let's be honest with ourselves- how much you really want a different guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 17, 2016,
Replacing frets is par for the course. When it comes to replacing a trem or all electronics, that's gonna cost you
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you