Hi folks. I am looking for a clean boost pedal, but really absolutely clean - no tone coloration whatsoever, no distortion created in the pedal itself, just adding them decibels.

Let me explain exactly what I need it for. I discovered a very nice creamy blues-rock distortion sound, created by a combination of certain settings of my Blues Jr. combo and my Xotic RC Booster pedal - now I would like to keep the character of this distortion, just make it a tiny bit heavier - so I would like to put a clean boost AFTER the RC Booster and BEFORE the Blues Jr - and that´s why I believe I need it to be the cleanest of clean.

Any idea which pedal could do that job for me?

BTW: I don´t have a budget for this, but just as a matter of principle I don´t want to pay the ridiculous shipping + tax + all the other associated BS for goods, imported from the US - I am in EU, so it would be the best to offer me something easily available here, like from Thomann or other EU retailer.

Thanx a lot in advance for all your tips!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Sep 17, 2016,
Sounds more like you just want a volume pedal, TBH.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yea a volume pedal would suit your need verys well.

If you want to be even cheaper roll your volume down on your guitar, find that tone by retweaking, then when you need that "boost" just roll up your volume knob
Last edited by nickdohle at Sep 17, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sounds more like you just want a volume pedal, TBH.

Maybe, I´m not sure, I have never used a volume pedal: Can a volume pedal actively add decibels? Cos I always thougth it only goes from zero to minus.... Am I wrong?
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by Airfish
Maybe, I´m not sure, I have never used a volume pedal: Can a volume pedal actively add decibels? Cos I always thougth it only goes from zero to minus.... Am I wrong?

I've never used one either, but they do add dbs. Here's one site's take on them:
http://equipboard.com/posts/best-volume-pedal
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Usually, a volume pedal doesn't boost the signal. What you can do, as nickdohle suggested, is lower the volume on the guitar / volume pedal and dial in your tone, then add more volume to get the boost you're looking for. I've got a Boss volume pedal that has a pot to set the minimum volume, so you could set that to however much boost you need, have it in the heel position and when you need the boost, put your foot down to toe position.

What you could also do is have an EQ pedal and boost the signal that way. Leaves you with a handy pedal that allows for a lot of tone shaping and does what you need perfectly. The MXR 10-band EQ is nice.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Usually, a volume pedal doesn't boost the signal. What you can do, as nickdohle suggested, is lower the volume on the guitar / volume pedal and dial in your tone, then add more volume to get the boost you're looking for. I've got a Boss volume pedal that has a pot to set the minimum volume, so you could set that to however much boost you need, have it in the heel position and when you need the boost, put your foot down to toe position.

What you could also do is have an EQ pedal and boost the signal that way. Leaves you with a handy pedal that allows for a lot of tone shaping and does what you need perfectly. The MXR 10-band EQ is nice.

I agree, the 10-band MXR EQ is cool, great tone shaping tool, I´m very satisfied with mine. But I don´t need any tone shaping for this application, In fact I don´t want it. And rolling back the volume on the guitar will not work for me either - it changes the way the RC Booster sounds, which I don´t want to. An "active" volume pedal could do the job. But what´s wrong with the idea of a clean boost pedal without being a volume pedal in the same time?
The idea of the EQ is that you can just boost the signal and leave the actual EQ all in the middle for what you want right now. Should you want to change around your set-up, you'd still have a good EQ pedal, which has a use in every setup, in my opinion.

Volume pedals usually just go to 100% of the volume you feed them and don't output more. It's basically your volume knob on the guitar, but in a wah-style enclosure that allows you to control it with your foot.

Another option is just a clean boost pedal, like a micro amp or a TC Spark. The Xotic EP Booster is really nice as well, but colours the tone a bit. I wouldn't say the coloration of the EP Booster is in any way negative, though. I'm assuming you're running the RC full volume already, by the way? If not, I'd just try to pump in more volume there.
Quote by Airfish
Hi folks. I am looking for a clean boost pedal, but really absolutely clean - no tone coloration whatsoever, no distortion created in the pedal itself, just adding them decibels.

Let me explain exactly what I need it for. I discovered a very nice creamy blues-rock distortion sound, created by a combination of certain settings
of my Blues Jr. combo and my Xotic RC Booster pedal - now I would like to keep the character of this distortion, just make it a tiny bit heavier - so I would like to put a clean boost AFTER the RC Booster and BEFORE the Blues Jr - and that´s why I believe I need it to be the cleanest of clean.

Any idea which pedal could do that job for me?

BTW: I don´t have a budget for this, but just as a matter of principle I don´t want to pay the ridiculous shipping + tax + all the other associated BS for goods, imported from the US - I am in EU, so it would be the best to offer me something easily available here, like from Thomann or other EU retailer.

Thanx a lot in advance for all your tips!

Check out: http://www.suhr.com/suhr-guitar-pedals/koko-boost/

The Reloaded version has a smaller footprint.
I use a TC Spark mini.
Does exactly what you're asking for when used in an amps effects loop.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by I K0nijn I
The idea of the EQ is that you can just boost the signal and leave the actual EQ all in the middle for what you want right now. Should you want to change around your set-up, you'd still have a good EQ pedal, which has a use in every setup, in my opinion.

Volume pedals usually just go to 100% of the volume you feed them and don't output more. It's basically your volume knob on the guitar, but in a wah-style enclosure that allows you to control it with your foot.

Another option is just a clean boost pedal, like a micro amp or a TC Spark. The Xotic EP Booster is really nice as well, but colours the tone a bit. I wouldn't say the coloration of the EP Booster is in any way negative, though. I'm assuming you're running the RC full volume already, by the way? If not, I'd just try to pump in more volume there.

Yes, I already have the RC Booster´s volume dimed. And I only wish I could "dime it even more"....
Well, then I'd look at an EQ and set it flat except for the overall volume going out or a booster like the Spark, MXR Micro Amp or EP Booster. A second RC Booster would probably give you exactly what you want, but you might find buying 2 of the same pedals a bit stupid.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Well, then I'd look at an EQ and set it flat except for the overall volume going out or a booster like the Spark, MXR Micro Amp or EP Booster. A second RC Booster would probably give you exactly what you want, but you might find buying 2 of the same pedals a bit stupid.

Even more than just "a bit" stupid cos I bought my RC Booster in near mint condition for 80 euros and a new one costs around 160... And a new TCE Spark Booster is around 100 euros.
I mean, if it does the job, it does the job. There are tons of people with multiple of the same guitar, so why not do it with a pedal.

That said, the Spark is supposed to be really nice. A bit more versatile than the Micro Amp and EP Booster as well.
And how about the MXR MC401 Boost Line Driver? It has just one single knob, which implies that the designer wasn´t even thinking about any tone shaping and colouring.... Plus I never had any sligtest issue with an MXR pedal (except my EQ, but that was my bad, I overloaded its input)....
Sure, it'll probably work fine. Why pay more, though? You can get a Spark Mini for half.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Sure, it'll probably work fine. Why pay more, though? You can get a Spark Mini for half.

Maybe because there is a bigger chance for transparent boost - without the tone knobs. No tone knobs should be more transparent than tone knobs set to zero. Or have I already had too much wine tonight?
Quote by Airfish
Maybe because there is a bigger chance for transparent boost - without the tone knobs. No tone knobs should be more transparent than tone knobs set to zero. Or have I already had too much wine tonight?

No, seriously, I´m not that drunk yet.... I already said I have no tight budget for this, and so I can choose a US made pedal with probably better quality components. Nothin against TCE, I have two of their pedals and they are OK, but MXR is just MXR. Or isn´t it?
I honestly don't think MXR pedals are better or worse quality wise than TC. The Spark Mini also only has one knob for what it's worth.
If you really don't have a tight budget, you might as well get a Strymon OB-1. It's actually a compressor, but the boost it delivers is as clean as they come.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I honestly don't think MXR pedals are better or worse quality wise than TC. The Spark Mini also only has one knob for what it's worth.
If you really don't have a tight budget, you might as well get a Strymon OB-1. It's actually a compressor, but the boost it delivers is as clean as they come.

A compressor? Hmm.... maybe worth givin it a thought. And do you think I could try a different compressor in that position, just to hear what a compressor does in general, before I buy anything? I have a MaxCom Dual rack unit in my home studio bass rig.... Or would that result be irrelevant, in terms of the expected Strymon performance with the Junior?
Airfish

Well, the OB-1 is a compressor, but it has a clean boost built in. So you could effectively have the compressor turned all the way off and only use the clean boost. It's exceptional. I don't think a compressor is what you want, but if you're after the cleanest boost you can get, the OB-1 is about as clean as they come. Fantastic compressor as well should you ever want to use a compressor.
one of these days i am going to build a zvex SHO. they seem pretty cool. i don't know how well it would work for you though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
one of these days i am going to build a zvex SHO. they seem pretty cool. i don't know how well it would work for you though.

OK, so after you finish it, please be my guest here in Slovakia. Oh, wait a minute, I mean excluding travel expenses.... But seriously: good luck with your build, dude!
Quote by Airfish
OK, so after you finish it, please be my guest here in Slovakia. Oh, wait a minute, I mean excluding travel expenses.... But seriously: good luck with your build, dude!

i actually have all of the components last time i checked. its just getting around to it. lol.

its a pretty simple circuit really, single transistor, a diode, a couple of caps and a handfull of resistors.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i actually have all of the components last time i checked. its just getting around to it. lol.

its a pretty simple circuit really, single transistor, a diode, a couple of caps and a handfull of resistors.

....and a soldering iron, which is not the favourite tool of my clumsy hands....
Quote by Airfish
....and a soldering iron, which is not the favourite tool of my clumsy hands....

i have really shaky hands and i can do it, i am sure you can too. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have really shaky hands and i can do it, i am sure you can too. lol.

Quote by GaryBillington
I use a TC Spark mini.
Does exactly what you're asking for when used in an amps effects loop.

I too recommend the spark mini. I've been using it as my solo boost for over a year now and I wouldn't get rid of it ever.
Have you considered a Providence Final Booster? It's not a true bypass, rather by its nature it is an active bypass, so if what you mean by 'clean' is true bypass then this isn't it. If however you mean the least tonal coloration when it's on vs when it's of, then a FBT-1 might be up your alley.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Quote by 2Crosser
Have you considered a Providence Final Booster? It's not a true bypass, rather by its nature it is an active bypass, so if what you mean by 'clean' is true bypass then this isn't it. If however you mean the least tonal coloration when it's on vs when it's of, then a FBT-1 might be up your alley.

B is correct - no tone coloration. Thanks for your tip.
I'll throw the Keeley Katana (regular or mini) clean boost into the ring.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
I'll throw the Keeley Katana (regular or mini) clean boost into the ring.

The mini Katana looks OK. But not the regular one: with my OCD diagnosis I am extremely agitated by that side knob on the regular version.
OK, just coming back with a result. I borrowed an EHX Soul Food OD pedal from a friend of mine for a test drive and I was really blown away, it sounds great with my Blues Junior, and it is also capable of a very nice clean boost, with the drive pot on minimum. Plus I took out my MXR 10-band EQ from my other rig, tried a "flat-boost" mode in front of the BJr and it also did the job amazingly well, not speaking about its great added value of tone-shaping abilities, in case I needed them. So I ordered one more MXR 10 band EQ (very unusual for me, to have 2 identical pieces of gear, but screw it, that EQ is just great!) and a Soul Food OD pedal.

So that´s it from me, as for this topic. Thank you all good folks for sharing your opinions and offering me your valuable tips. Cheers!
Last edited by Airfish at Sep 20, 2016,
cool! sounds like you have got it covered.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I got the MXR line Driver recently, hands down the most transparent 'clean' boost I've ever used. Love it!
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2