I have been playing guitar for 4 and a half years, and actually only until about a year ago i started playing lead parts. Now i can play most Metallica solos, I can play Afterlife (mentioned as it's one of the toughest songs) and songs like Tornado of Souls. Basically i want to take part in college fests and i don't want to be sitting and playing as i usually do, rather standing up so it looks better and more attractive and i can command the stage more.
When i play standing, the chords are no issue to me, it's the lead parts. I can't even play the intro of Master of Puppets. I can't play any solo. My left hand doesn't coordinate and my right hand can't pick fast enough or on the right strings. My hands cramp up, even when im playing with the neck around my stomach.

Any tips? I really want to play the same solos i play sitting down, but while standing up. Standing up takes my ability back 3 years.
Last edited by dhruvjauhar00 at Sep 17, 2016,
Don't wear the guitar super low. Set the strap at stomach/lower chest length.

Also, just practice. When practicing sitting down try not to look at the fretboard. While practicing standing up, make sure you stay relaxed and take it slowly. That is a start at least.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
same problem here, then i found out that the more flexible your fretting hand the more it helps to play lead standing, all i do for exercise now is doing 'trill' for 1 minute for these fingers:

index finger & middle finger : low e string 1st to 3rd fret
middle finger & ring finger : low e string 7th to 9th fret
ring finger & pinky finger : low e string 7th to 9th fret
index finger & pinky finger : g string 5th to 11th fret

good luck and don't forget to warm up first
Last edited by imunk123 at Sep 20, 2016,
One tip I like to give is to set up your strap, so that the guitar is in a similar position as when you're sitting.

So you adjust the strap so that it's comfortable but not loose while you're sitting. And it should feel similar to when you stand. Most people tend to go lower because it looks cool, but sounding great >>> looking cool.

Otherwise, it would be best to just try practicing while standing up every now and again. It does feel different with the guitar being sturdy on your lap, as opposed to hanging from a strap.

Hope that helps!
"Every time you pick up your guitar to play, play as if it's the last time" -Eric Clapton
www.guitareasier.com
i play at a strap height such that my picking hand is around my waist, so i can't help you if you have the strap up high and still can't solo. but i can help if you insist on having the guitar lower.

playing low is a quite different thing from playing sitting down, and you will have to relearn or at least refine the mechanics of both hands. it could take a long time, and you will get tired of standing around in your room trying to get used to it when you could just play sitting down, but there's no other way to make it feel natural.

the picking hand does not need to be bent out of shape in order to accommodate the new position. it's a new position, so don't try to force your hand into the same exact position it was in when you were sitting down - relearn. for example, used to palm mute with the lower part of my palm's edge, but when standing, i had to get used to palm muting with the higher part. also, spend some time getting used to moving the pick along the plane of the strings. when i was learning to stand, a huge problem of mine was that my picking hand was doing downstrokes too far into the stringbed, making fast picking really awkward.

and for the fretting hand, huge thing: the thumb does not need to be behind the fingers at all times. if you try to keep the thumb behind the index and middle fingers on the center of the neck at all times, your wrist will be forced into uncomfortable positions that don't help with fretting. in fact, my thumb is rarely directly behind my fingers now. on the lower half of the neck, it's generally pointing toward the headstock, and on the higher half it might be sticking up over the top of the neck, depending on what i'm playing. it's much more comfortable, improves your reach, and eases tension because you are less likely to clamp down hard while fretting anything. the only exception i can think of is that you probably need your thumb behind the fingers for barre chords. this is where i got the idea, it's for bass but it's the same thing:

bottom line is that you shouldn't expect to be just as good standing up. the technique changes.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Sep 20, 2016,
Thanks for the replies guys! All were very helpful. I will first strap it to the height of playing when im sitting to get used to the different technique of standing and playing and slowly i will keep lowering the strap bit by bit until i find the height i feel comfortable at and like.
Quote by dhruvjauhar00
Thanks for the replies guys! All were very helpful. I will first strap it to the height of playing when im sitting to get used to the different technique of standing and playing and slowly i will keep lowering the strap bit by bit until i find the height i feel comfortable at and like.

yeah this is the best thing to do, but don't lower it if you don't need to! Plenty of "cool" players that where their guitars high (like Tom Morello!) Just do what feels comfortable..
Adjust your strap until it's high enough to be comfortable and only play standing when you practice