So I just bought a Boss DS 2 Turbo Distortion pedal
Its great and all but when I turn it off to play some clean stuff I can still hear the distortion in the background. Its really annoying I cant really get rid of it. Are all distortion pedals supposed to be like that? Or is mine crap? Should I return it to the store?
What should I do? (I have a combo amp and a fender strat if that helps)
You're tuning the pedal off and not just turning the gain know all the way down, right?

If you plug straight into the amp with the same settings, is it clean then? If so, something is wrong with the pedal for sure and you should return it.
I K0nijn I
If I plug my guitar in with the same amp settings then I cant hear the distortion but when my pedal is plugged in and turned off I do
Its like the two different sounds coming from my amp: loud clean sound and background distorion
So should distortion pedals sound like the guitar plugged straight into the amp when they turned off?
Or is a little background sound normal?
They should sound like the distortion pedal is not in the chain, yes. While some pedals can affect the sound when the pedal is in bypass, it shouldn't generate distortion.

Have you tried a different guitar and/or cables?
I'd take it back to the shop and see how it does there. If the problem persists there, they should take it back and give you at least a replacement, if not your money back.
I K0nijn I
Well I think the pedal is not right because I tried changing the calbels and tried with another guitar
Could it be the problem that I havent changed the battery yet? I bought the pedal two days ago so the battery shouldnt have run down so fast or should it?
(Im new to pedals so maybe im doing something wrong)
Putting in a new battery could fix it and isn't an expensive thing to try, so you might as well. If the pedal wasn't on display, it shouldn't run out in 2 days though. Be sure to unplug the cables when you aren't playing, though. They will make the battery run out if you don't disconnect them.

What I'd suggest is getting a power supply for it, though. A One Spot adapter doesn't cost a lot and you will spend more on batteries over time than you will on a One Spot. The plus point is that you can split the output later on if you get more pedals, so it becomes even better price/performance compared to batteries if you have more than one pedal.
I K0nijn I
Then I think I'll get a power supply
I will buy more pedals eventually anyway
I hope that will solve the problem cuz I really like the sound of the DS 2
Thanks for helping me out
I'd for sure find out if there's something wrong with the pedal by going back to the store though. There's no reason you should be settling for anything less than a working product.
I K0nijn I
I guess youre right
Im gonna go to the store to check the pedal and then buy a power supply there.
You do know that having a cable plugged into the input of the pedal will drain the battery don't you? It doesn't have to be turned on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You do know that having a cable plugged into the input of the pedal will drain the battery don't you? It doesn't have to be turned on.

my thoughts exactly.

he said that he got it two days ago, that is enough to drain the battery if he left it plugged in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup
Yeah I've been using a multi effect pedal until now so I didnt know that I have to unplug the cable.
Quote by peter770
trashedlostfdup
Yeah I've been using a multi effect pedal until now so I didnt know that I have to unplug the cable.

then your battery is probably dead. that is the best problem you can have with a pedal.

i would highly recommend getting a wall adapter for it, 9V's get expensive fast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, probably dead battery then. I'd still take the pedal and test it out to make sure. You never know and you want to buy a 9V adapter anyway, so you can bring the pedal to see if everything's alright and also to make sure you get the right power supply.
yeah try a new battery

i know the sd1 has that bypass bleed problem, so it is possible that the ds2 might suffer too (though i haven't heard of that), but try a new battery first.

if that doesn't work, i know another buffered pedal in front of the sd1 cures that, so that mgiht be worth a try with the ds2 as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll buy a new battery and if that doesnt solve the problem I'll take it back to the store.
If it does I'll just buy a power supply because I dont want to buy new batteries all the time
if you really like the sound of the ds2, if another buffered pedal in front of it cures it (assuming the new battery thing doesn't), that may well be a price you're willing to pay. that's all i was saying- i run a buffered pedal in front of an sd1 because it's a really good pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That is Boss dirt for ya. With the pedal off, turn the gain/distortion down (assuming you changed the battery). If it doesn't go away then it could be the pedal. My sd1 bleeds in bypass when the the dirt is cranked, but I use It as a boost with a hair of dirt so I don't ever notice It.
It could also be that your amp's input doesn't like the buffer in the pedal... The input of my practice amp clips a little with any buffered pedal in front of it, but straight in it doesn't. Even with my ns2 in front.