Hi Peeps,

I'm not really a techno geek when it comes to pickups or humbuckers etc.
I know how to play, tune, learn etc, but anything else stumps me lol.

I purchased my baby in 2013/14 really love her but as the years have gone by my Seymor (Seymour) Ducan Humbuckers gold plated have faded and looks well nasty.

I do love the sound but I was curious if there was better humbuckers I could purchase to make her sound even better?

Is there anyway to fix the gold plate that has faded across the humbuckers and bridge of the guitar?

Wasn't sure if it has faded due to the grease and oils in our sweat that has caused this.

Bands into just to help you (Killswitch Engage, Metallica, AC/DC, Underoath, Blink 182, TDWP, etc.)

I know different humbuckers produce crunchy or other sounds.

Thanks so much for your help peeps,

Best regards,
zeussrapidfire
which duncans does it have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey Dave_Mc,

I am afraid due to wear of the Humbuckers for what ever reason the code on them has disappeared, all I rememer is it had a "J" JH or something like that.
Really sorry for not being able to assist you there. It was printed on the Humbuckers when I purchased it.
What's the first couple digits of the serial number? It should start with a letter, but the first two digits after that tell you the model year. The 2012 and 2013 Tempest Custom came with SD Custom Custom (SH-11) and a '59 in the neck. The 2014 model might have had the JB/Jazz set, which would explain if you remember a J something, but I'm pretty sure they didn't change. From 2015 on, the Custom line Schecters have come with their own Custom Shop Pickups, rather than Duncans.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by zeussrapidfire
Hey Dave_Mc,

I am afraid due to wear of the Humbuckers for what ever reason the code on them has disappeared, all I rememer is it had a "J" JH or something like that.
Really sorry for not being able to assist you there. It was printed on the Humbuckers when I purchased it.

no worries, it's just hard (i.e. impossible) to recommend or suggest anything without knowing what model they are

maybe if you took a reading on a multimeter that would give some idea of what models they are? or just listen to the_bi99man since that's a lot handier If you ask me either of those sets of pickups he said yours might have are probably pretty decent for what you're wanting to play- you play a really wide range there (which is great) but it means there's always going to be some level of compromise when it comes to the pickups since those artists used totally different pickup models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hey all,

Would it display the model type if I remove the covers off?

If so I will do this when I get bk in from work.
Ultimately they do sound good but wasnt sure if there was a better option.

Also any thoughts or products to use to clean the gold as it does look manky?
they probably say on the underside of the pickup.

as far as the gold, it oxidizes, not a big deal, some like the look. i don't. so i don't buy guitars with gold hardware. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sorry for another post but someone told me that irongear pickups are better than SD's?

Is this true which ones couls you recommend for the music I play KSWE Metallica ACDC etc.
"Better" is very subjective & situational. SD makes a few very good pickups. The Jazz/JB combo is found in a lot of guitars for a reason,

...which is not to say that Iron Gear doesn't make good pickups, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What amp are you running?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by dannyalcatraz
"Better" is very subjective & situational. SD makes a few very good pickups. The Jazz/JB combo is found in a lot of guitars for a reason,

...which is not to say that Iron Gear doesn't make good pickups, too.

Playing metal songs stay with my current SD or choose Irongear?
I know of the company, but I don't know Iron Gear's stuff, sorry.

I do know JB/Jazz combo is all over guitars marketed to guitarists in heavier genres. And they DO use them. It's a tried & true option for metal. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that most metal or hard rock guitarists own or owned a guitar with that pickup combo.

Quote by zeussrapidfire
I am using Marshall 30watt amp - MG30CFX

Putting new pickups on a guitar when you're running into an amp like that is equivalent to putting $2000 worth of rims on a Lada.

Throw that amp in the bin and get something better.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^ Yeah. There might be a (very slight) case for getting new pickups even if your amp is mediocre if your stock pickups truly are terrible and you can't stretch to a better amp, but that's not the case here. Those stock pickups are good pickups. The amp isn't a good amp. The amp is the bottleneck, not the pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Putting new pickups on a guitar when you're running into an amp like that is equivalent to putting $2000 worth of rims on a Lada.

Throw that amp in the bin and get something better.

Yeah. Especially considering that the pickups are already good Seymour Duncans. It would still hardly matter, but there might at least be an argument to be made if the guitar currently had the crappy factory stock pickups that come in <$300 guitars, but it's got Duncans. Subjective opinions aside, those are pro level pickups.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I would pull the covers off, you can get new covers if you really want to but they wiil need to be soldered to the backing plate. There are videos on you tube to demonstrate how to both remove and install pickup covers although you may find that you like the look of the guitar with out them.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge