Page 1 of 3
THIS IS MY THREAD
FEEL FREE TO READ IT

I'm VampireGoldfish and this is my thread. I work here with my Mod Severed and my apprentice, Kyto "Big Anime" Kinisis. Everything in here has a story and a purpose. One thing I've learned after 10 years - you never know what is the reason you still post here.

I've had so much to say to my happy UG boys but no desire to make a thread for each one and quite frankly I'm tired of the massive chat threads. I want my own space to say "Hey," and "Woah!" So I'm going to have my own thread to post comprehensive thoughts in the form of dedicated articles. Not everyone here commits to this type of discourse but I find it very easy to indulge in my story telling wonder penis when it comes to Music and Metal. So here is where I will perform my art. I invite you to read it or ignore it. I have prepared some example articles of what type of post you will be finding here. I will be posting more post post haste.

Be good little UG boys and participate if you'd like. This is our VG Fireside talk, with far less polio than the presidential version. So come pop a squat on my lap, drool a little while I scratch your head and let me shoot the shit.

Best of 2016 So Far... and What is Still to Come

2016 has been no 2014, but it has been reasonably formidable. I can say it has saved the best for last, but let's go over what we have seen so far.

Definitely a year moreso for Black and Death over anything, 2016 has seen three trends continue with full steam: Monolithic, wall-ish, trangles and occult 10 minute crushing Death/Black shit: Strange, weird, abberant and exploratory "New" Death/Black shit: and finally Bestial, primitive nail board meat and potatoes shit. These trends have been started for a while, particularly the bestial shit, but are now at their peak in terms of being a saturated market. I believe it is a high point compared to the 2006/2008 peak of MirrorThrone/Wintersun shit, but let us put those dark times far behind us.

So that huge, 15 minute wall-ish shit, right? We can definitely say that this is seeing even more flooding than the knuckle dragging Blasphemy worship. This stuff bores my tits to tears when it feels dialed in. Hit that same chord for a whole song duration, play a "spoopy" dissonant but catchy transitional Black Metal lead note that every DSO clone ever does, than proceed to hammer another chord for yet another whole song duration. I definitely won't forget the entire song I just heard! Nope!

So how do we do this right? In the past we've seen plenty of acts pull this off to relative or major success. What separates the boring from the great? At the risk of sounding meaningless, I mostly find conviction at the heart of my answer. Teitanblood's DEATH is a stellar example. Every song breaches the holy hell minute mark and the whole album is composed of riffs that in some way, shape and form, you have heard before. But have they ever loomed over you with such ominous terror? Have they ever left you stupefied with eyes wide shut like this? Have they ever been given such un-life like they have on this album? This is very difficult to pull off and almost abstract in my appreciation for it. Your monolith will also need substance. Some Metal fans actually have keen ears and will notice when you don't go anywhere. Create a motif and see it through or leave it deliciously half resolved, Angelo Badalamenti style.

SO WHO HAS DONE THIS IN 2016 WELL?
Survey says...

Starspawn
by Blood Incantation
Holy fuck I love the transitional riffs and drum fills in here. Picks up momentous melody like a Swede, but taste like an old school Earache.

Hallelujah!
by GEVURAH
Sounds like a beefy proclamation of a religious order. I don't really think of it as suffocating and I do burning. Each song has a climax (or multiple) that feel like the pay off for the song. Things start as a word of embers, never a small spark, and take their time to invoke it into a burning, foul magic. Take your time with this one and chances are it will pay off. That BASS playing! Love how it churns and wrecks. Great production.

Three Devils Dance
by QRIXKUOR
Check out that artwork! Deceptively tight knit and precise music. A nice midway point between the looming chaos and introspective mediation. Don't let the bubbling reverb fool you, whole lotta thought in here (for a Metal album.)

Distance | Collapsed
by Inverloch
Definitely the outlier in both presentation and playing. No symbols, no incantations. It's here to split the sky and earth, to dirge dramatically and to bleak out into greyness. Dig it.

SO THAT Strange, weird, abberant and exploratory "New" Death/Black shit, what about it?

Another sound that is pretty damn easy to suck at. I've never been interested in putting all sorts of different ingredients into a blender and turning it on to create a colorless mush mixture. Mixing shit meaninglessly is pointless. Metal can be so guilty of this. Sometimes Metal fans and Metal musicians feel the need to prove themselves to be so diverse and so much more than "just" metal maaaaan. Blegh. So who has explored while remaining on track and coherent?

Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic Vows
by HOWLS OF EBB
Surprised I love this as much as I do. A very riffy dive into portals and strange aeons. Riffs sound like they are doing their best to interpret the messages they are receiving. At times jarring. Sometimes a little Prog rocky? At all times Metal. NWN taking my money on the LP that's coming soon.''

The First of the Listeners
by Recitations
I already made a thread on them. Read it you ass holes.

So what other shit has this year done for us?

FAUSTIAN DAWN REISSUE!

Demon Bitch
HELLFRIENDS!

White Magician
The Pledge

To Starve The Cross
by Ghoulgotha
Whole lotta riffage in here. Dynamic death dealing style with multi directional song writing style. I would loathe to call them any sort of "Tech Death lol" bull shit, but the intricacies are there to appreciate such an adjective.

Apollyon
by Irkallian Oracle

SAVAGE WAR IS DESTINY
by CAVEMAN CULT

Dimensions Obscure
by Cadaveric Fumes
Brand new Sci Fi aesthetic to compliment the vague-ish Prog undertones that are now popping up to even further accentuate their ace riffs.

Ride for Revenge - Thy Horrendous Yearning

Scalare - At the Edge of Darkness

Sorcier Des Glaces - North

Eucharist – Endarkenment

Necromantic Worship - The Calling​.​.​.

Naðra - Allir vegir til glötunar

Zhrine - Unortheta

Haxen - s/t

Lord Vicar - Gates of Flesh

Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crépuscule

Dark Fury - This Story Happened Before

Reptilian - Perennial Void Traverse

Vordr - In the Shadow of the Wolf

SO WHAT ARE WE STILL LOOKING FORWARD TO?

Eternal Champion
Wulkanaz
Void Meditation Cult
Sacriphyx
Sect Pig
Urfaust
Temple Nightside
Whoredom Rife
Mare (maybe?)

Special mention to WULKANAZ, who I believe to be one of my absolute favorite new Metal projects. A complete outsider sound breathing a new life into Metal with the toolkit of TRUE Metal, nothing else. Plus, Semilanceata is such a wonderful listen.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Sep 19, 2016,
Where is the early Celtic Frost Sound?

We've got Darkthrone clones, we've got Burzum clones, we've got Venom clones, we've got Mercyful Fate clones even. We've got Morbid Bagel clones, we've got Katatonia worship, we've got Manilla Road worship even. We've got soooo many Incantation clones we dunno what to do even do with half of them. We've got whole genres dedicated to the preservation and adoration of classic acts. It can be a pretty ace thing at times even.

But we're is the early Celtic Frost sound?

Sure we see shades of it literally everywhere, since they were one of the world movers and earth shakers that gave us the genre we love. But they don't see the same cloning and worshiping projects that everyone else seems to get TOO much of. Why? It's a timeless sound in Metal as far as I'm concerned. I'd kill for a different shade of Morbid Tales.

So how can we describe the early Celtic Frost sound?

The most obvious part is the midpaced riffage and song structure. It is content to build its mood on steady rhythms and strong, solid progression. The second most obvious thing are the riffs. They tend to bend and warp themselves into 'circular' sounding shapes and often fold into themselves for the purpose of repetition. The third thing that sets apart early CF for me is the Heavy Metal sound they have. Their sound is at it's heart romantic, perverse Heavy Metal channeled through youthful energy and dungeon-esque abandon. Black.

So we're have we seen this done? Only so much really. Often times the first thing that comes to peoples mind is...

PANZERFAUST
by DARKTHRONE
Takes the early CF sound and stretches it to a cold, sardonic and spiteful limit. We find the circular sounding riffs here in spades and the song structures are Heavy Metal as it can get when taken to such an extreme.

for myself, one group did the early CF sound exceptionally well...

from Poland,
TARANIS

Sometimes you can find this sound given a different touch here and there. A good example of that is...

DISHAMMER

CF sound given the D-beat/crust treatment. First person to name the CF song they ripped that main riff from gets acknowledgement from yours truly.

Anyone else got some CF worship they know?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I Love Chips & Beer

Chips & Beer is my current favorite zine of the time. I have plenty of old reliables and young and upcomers, yet this one stands tall above many. The stream of concious dialogue, the titty illustrations, the old man wisdom and love of all that is real... this is truly the top of the mountain, and it is good.

This zine does not tolerate bull shit, modern Metal journalism. It shits all over it without growing tired and weary. It also comes off as a genuine production of genuine, long term fans. Internet journalism always seems so try hard and blow even harder. You're a fucking music journalist, stop acting like an academist. These guys also do everything home brew. The illustrations, construction of the articles and the story telling (yes, story telling) are all genuine hand crafted bullshit. Gotta love it. These guys also know their roots and demand the nutrition they provided in even the newest outputs. Their interviews are done very well and the musicians respond to being treated like a person with person like questions. None of that paragraph, try hard blowhard question bullshit you see elsewhere. Real shit. It's like old friends having a conversation after a long time of not seeing each other.

Oh and sometimes they talk about things that aren't Metal, but are so Metal. Like Western movies. and Thin Lizzy. And titties.

Let's look at some reasons why I love them so much...

An example of a Rating Legend is ranked from..

Clint Eastwood - Tofu - Pretzel - Chips & Beer - Bourbon - Flying Tits

Quote by Chips & Beer on Dead Congreation's 'Promulgation of the Fall'
Some Nigredo and some Nigredon't

Quote by Chips & Beer on Borrowed Time's 'Borrowed Time'
When one of them new bands stops goofing off with the one song demos with live tracks and the seven inches with a cover tune on the B-side and finally decides they aren't getting off the pot, they better shit.

Quote by Chips & Beer on Captain Zapped 'Space Age Blues
First tune got a hard dick riff and the good sangin. Then the keyboards come and they don't suck, they got some psychadelic balls hanging

Quote by Chips & Beer on Triptykon's Melana Chasmata
Outside the hookers are barking. Grinder is ready to move on the Commodore but Casanova's already in the VHS stack. Out comes copy of Hard N Heavy, volume whatsit Metal. Nobody movin for a while. Beaver's eyes not even open. Interview with Coroner behind Country Club in Reseda gets Casanova going on about California, Excel, skateboards, lost keys, broken bones, material girl. "I would eat wanna eat Madonn out more than anything," he says. "Cuz the pussy is who she is, you know? That's her. And then put it in her butt hole." Hutch says Madonna has these totally buff male servants to open doors and shit. "She's into aesthetics." Grinder nods. Sips from the bottle. Beaver's eyes not even open. Video for "Cherry Orchards" up next. Fischer Price Tom says, "influenced by the Beatles." His face really filled out later on. Philthy says it looks like his cat's cock. Triptykon is what Casanova says you get from eating too much Turkey. Then shouts out the window to four year old on street to shut up and calls her a whore. First song is the best one.

Quote by Chips & Beer on Slough Feg's 'Digital Resistance'
What in the wide world of sports is going on? Slough Feg have gone from being good, to not being good. Mongo no go.

Buy their shit.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Sep 17, 2016,
Fluff and Flavor Tracks

We all know what fluff tracks are, right? I don't need to define them for ya? Well really quickly regardless; Fluff tracks are often interludes, intros and outros but can also be full tracks. They are often in instrumentation or musical styling, or lack thereof, that is not employed regularly in the rest of the album. So we have a Metal album with a synth track for flavor in the middle of it? Fluff track. And that's just what they are there for, flavor. They are usually very short since once you breach a time limit they tend to take on a life of their own and can no longer be a fluffy bite of flavor. I guess Lykathea Aflame have that garden track which still remains pretty damn fluffy and useless and is a million years long? So this ain't no concrete scientific definition but use your brains and ears. Ask if you need clarifying.

All sorts of genres use them but I find Metal uses them more than the average Blues/Jazz related genres. So feel free to hash out some of your favorites. Here are some of mine...

Firstly... two of the undisputed KINGS of fluff tracks....
Beherit - Summerlands

Burzum - Han som reiste

Absu - Our Lust for Lunar Plains

Saracen - Dolphin Ride

Akercocke - Fortune My Foe

Akercocke - Goddess Flesh (almost too much of a song to qualify, but it gives me erection.)

Celtic Frost - Danse Macabre

Nåstrond - Jai Ma Kali

Share some of yours. I'll be adding more when I give a damn.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Sep 21, 2016,
You featured Akercocke twice. Top stuff my dude

But yeah, always loved this ditty from Pestilence. 'Fluff track' is an awesome name btw

I'm just here to smoke pot and hang out.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Year in Review

Every now and then I will make a post with a year, and maybe a genre, and just dump all the releases of importance or greatness relating to that year. I love this sort of stuff and will now indulge in my autistic desires. More to come when I feel like it.

We will start with the most stereotypical year and genre combination, 1994 BLACK METAL.

BLACK METAL

LPs
Abruptum - In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, in Aeternum in Triumpho Tenebrarum
Abigor - Verwüstung/Invoke the Dark Age
Ancient - Svartalvheim
Bestial Warlust - Vengeance War ‘Till Death
Bethlehem - Dark Metal
The Black - The Priest of Satan
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Countess - The Return of the Horned One
Cradle Of Filth - The Principle of Evil Made Flesh
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Enslaved - Frost
Fimbulwinter - Servants of Sorcery
Forgotten Woods - As the Wolves Gather
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
Hades - …Again Shall be
Horde - Hellig usvart - The first Unblack Metal album.
Impaled Nazarene - Suomi Finland Perkele
Infernum - …Taur-nu-Fuin…
Isengard - Vinterskugge
Marduk - Opus Nocturne
Martyrium - L.V.X. Occulta
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom. Sathanas
Mortuary Drape - All the Witches Dance
Necromass - Mysteria Mystica Zofiriana
Ophthalamia - A Journey in Darkness
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam
Sabbat - Fetishism
Sadistik Execution - We Are Death… Fukk You!
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Satyricon - The Shadowthrone
Taranis - Faust
Thou Art Lord - Eosforos
Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler
Xibalba - Ah Dzam Poop Ek

EPs
Abhorer - Upheaval of Blasphemy
Ancient - Det glemte riket
Arcturus - Constellation
Dark Funeral - Dark Funeral
Dimmu Borgir - Inn i evighetens mørke
Emperor - As The Shadows Rise
Funeral Winds - Thy Eternal Flame
Gehenna - First Spell
Graveland - The Celtic Winter
Havohej - Black Perversion
Havohej - The Black Mist
Impiety - Salve the Goat...Iblis Exelsi
Masochist - Fuck Your God
Moonspell - Under the Moonspell
Mütiilation - Hail Satanas We Are the Black Legions
Mysticum/Ulver - Split
Necromantia - From The Past We Summon Thee
Necromass - Bhoma
Order from Chaos - Jericho Trumpet
Order from Chaos - Live: Into Distant Fears
Order from Chaos - Plateau of Invincibility
Sacramentum - Finis Malorum
Sigh/Kawir - Suicidogenic/Sinn
Sorath - Horns of the Goat
Strid - Strid

Demos
Abigor - Moonrise
Abigor - In Hate & Sin
Abyssic Hate - Cleansing of an Ancient Race
Algaion - Heosphoros Ho Proi Anatellon
Behemoth - ...from the Pagan Vastlands
Belkètre - The Dark Promise
Black Funeral - Journeys into Horizons Lost
Branikald - Stormheit
Deströyer 666 - Six Songs with the Devil
Funeral Frost - Midnight Speeches
Funeral Winds - Resurrection...
Grand Belial's Key - Triumph of the Hordes
Isvind - Herskerinnen
Kvist - Demo
Legion - Blood on My Knife
Legion Of Doom - The Desecration
Masochist - Sucking the Tongue of the Ancient One
Moonblood - Moonblood
Moonblood - Nosferatu
Morke - Deutsches Metal
Morke - Finsternis
Mütiilation - Satanist Styrken
Mütiilation - Black Imperial Blood (Travel)
Nazxul - Nazxul
Nidhoggr - Ravens over the Road of Kings
Nåstrond - From a Black Funeral Coffin
Old Man's Child - In the Shades of Life
Poccolus - Kingdom of Poccolus
Setherial - A Hail to the Faceless Angels
Tha-Norr - Assault on Aerie
Torgeist - Devoted to Satan
Tulus - Samlerens kammer
Unpure - Demo 3
Usurper - Visions from the Gods
Ved Buens Ende - Those Who Caress the Pale
Veles - The Triumph of Pagan Beliefs
Vinterland - A Castle So Crystal Clear
Vinterland - It's Here I Belong
Vlad Tepes - War Funeral March
Vlad Tepes - The Return of the Unweeping
Vlad Tepes - Celtic Poetry
Vondur - Uppruni vonsku
Windir - Sogneriket
Zephyrous - Entrance and Wandering on the Seven Zones

Books & Magazines
Legion - The official 'zine of The Temple Of Fullmoon.
Nordic Vision #2
Petrified 'zine #3
SLAYER 10 - "Past, Present, Forever" - A volume solely dedicated to the Norwegian Black Metal scene.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Speaking of 1994 Black Metal... Anyone pick up the LP release of Vikingligr Veldi? You can't call it a reissue! Hah. It has not left my turntable at all. Hearing the fires and churning waves of this album on a format like this is awesome and seems so right. The new artwork is fantastic.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I havent listened to Masochist in years. What a great band. Thanks for the reminder
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Oct 2, 2016,
sweet list VG, gonna have to fill in some holes in my library with that one...
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
After taking a modest 5 year hiatus from the forums, I decided to peruse the metal forums to see what's been cookin'. Same shit, same toilet apparently. I remember when a man could gaze upon this forum and observe kvlt boners shooting across the landscape.

It's an uncanny, surreal thing to see familiar usernames posting in threads I used to click on every day after high-school. Not that I was raising hell in the forum to begin with, but I've It's also not surprising that my musical tastes have since stalled since I last posted on UG - album collection festering, but not growing. So I'm back, and eager to ingest some new stuff.

This should be a good starting point.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Doing well my friend. I'm impressed by the longevity and commitment you and others have in this forum. Need more music though.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

I only came back at the start of this year
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The relative username mix on this thread is the same today as it was 6 years ago haha
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

thought the Eucharist - Endarkment was Eucharist (SWE)'s new upcoming album so I got excited, then not excited, thanks
Quote by linfield4466
Doing well my friend. I'm impressed by the longevity and commitment you and others have in this forum. Need more music though.

Defenders of the faith.

Also what you been into as of late? There are loads of releases to talk about. Too many. Maybe not. But definitely a lot.
Justin is back? Satan has blessed us
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
It's a sad thing that after my 12+ years of metal that the best discussions I've ever had were in my teens, right here.

@Severed

I don't know what I've been listening to, but I've been craving some doom laden death metal, or just plain ol doomy dooms. Make me feel like I'm dead
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

that Graveyard Dirt band i checked out recently was pretty cool maybe try them linfield

Can't really describe what an honor and a privilege it was to play on the same stage as Blood Incantation. Holy fuck. If you guys haven't had the chance to see them live yet, I highly recommend doing so ASAP. Their performance is both monstrous and amazing.
I do love me some fluff tracks

Purtenance - John 3:16

At the Gates - The Scar

The Chasm - A Soulstorm Bleeds Over the Horizon

Shamash - Whispers of the Darklight ( i think you can hit play and listen or otherwise just download it, I tried it and it works
I kinda see something like waking up in a coffin in a castle long after the demise of everyone you loved lol

Buried Dreams - Illnamiqui

and lastly probably my favorite fluff track ever

Cenotaph's Requiem for A Soul Request
P.M.O.'s

Pure Metal Originals

ESOTERIC

Yeah, go ahead and call it Funeral Doom. I'm fine with that. Go ahead and describe it as Doomed out, drugged out and psychedelically unstable dirges that aren't afraid to meander into tempos other than slogging or monolithic. We'll all be fine with that. Because I guess it's fine. It's fine.

But in its heart of hearts beyond descriptions that are 'just fine,' is a circle. There is a beginning but no end. Unfulfilled with millions of questions but with no will to ask. There is context in the line of this circle as it makes its seemingly predictable path towards it geometric goal. But how does this circle bend, warp, tear and traverse it's pained path without veering off course? The circle has begun but there seems to be endless probability. The circle is brimming with depth, but dead inside. Hate. Loathing. Vastness. In this place you dare not dream, no hope, but future none the less. And I must know everything and every thought, in this circle. For sleep eludes with this frustration of though. I am driven to seek release, in this circle, or travel towards its end. It's beginning.

Repeat listens bless you with maddened eyes, filled with boiling blood. Sullen, they grow sharper with pain. Only so often you revisit this place of Esoteric sound, to rest now.

Until we meet again and start the circle.

Serving suggestions include two hours of prep time, no light, no clothing or fellow listeners to interfere; Plenty of floor space to flatten yourself out for maximum ceiling staring; Do not serve with other music.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Too sugar-coated for my tastes. Brings to mind the latest Summoning album which was too pop/rock-oriented for repeated listens.

...although I have still spun it numerous times, but not as much as say, Oath Bound or Stronghold.
Esoteric, saccharine? Uh, how? It's some supremely abrasive stuff.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I think that sounded like Opeth or Dark Tranquility with slower tempo at times.
I liked that song, but its definitely not super abrasive. That first chord progression wouldn't be out of place in a Twentyonepilots song lol. Good stuff though, what would you recommend from their discography VG outside of that song?
I'll task you guys with listening to The Maniacal Vale in one sitting and once again state it's not abrasive.

Any of their releases are stellar.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Ozzy87_2
I think that sounded like Opeth or Dark Tranquility with slower tempo at times.

I don't get this comparison at all.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I liked that song, but its definitely not super abrasive. That first chord progression wouldn't be out of place in a Twentyonepilots song lol. Good stuff though, what would you recommend from their discography VG outside of that song?

Pardon my intrusion, but I feel I have a little to offer here.

Their beginning has a claustrophobic, suffocating ambience. After the first three chapters, it's taken on a more 'endless cosmic void, lucid illusory trip' approach. The sound gained clarity, but only made death and filth more easy to see. Pick whichever poison out of the two you prefer, really.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I don't get this comparison at all.

Ok, I don't know if it sounds exactly like those bands I mentioned. It just sounded like Gothenburg "metal" slowed down.
Demo Daze: 2016

Gonna keep this nice and short; like a demo. Best of the best only.

TOMB MOLD
https://tombmold.bandcamp.com/album/the-moulting

Hard to not like this. Reminds you of finding Epitome of Darkness where you know you've heard something like this before but the zeal and conviction is so unreal you keep repeating the cassette. There is some serious dedication to Death here. Everything revolves around rhythmic expectation and the wrecking thereof. No dissonant shit, no atonality really, just a heaping slab of graveyard explosions and witnessing the contents of the aftermath. Sounds pretty Swedish. Goes well with brew.

FLAME ACAUSAL

Certainly not Flamce Acasual, pretty serious brimstone here. Faustian intro ends sooner than you think to get to the point of burning. Vocalist sounding right in your ear one second and far away on a precipice the next. Drums doing their best to stop the riffs from getting outta control. Shit sounds like the Exorcist, head turning around and pukin on your walls. Riffs be burning the vocalist by the sounds of it. Sounds like it hurts. Shit slows down really well. GoatowaRex is gonna reissue it. Gonna pay out the ass to get it over here in the west. Get your burn cream ready.

HEXENSLAUGHT
https://invictusproductions666.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2016

Necrovore, is that you? Baby come back, you can blame it all on me.

GARROTED
https://garroted1.bandcamp.com/releases

Something severely special is going on here. You know when you hear something that is total deathly genuine but has what feels like an outsider influence nonetheless? No gimmicks, just special death. All songs make me chef kiss my fingers.

Ēōs
https://eosdoom.bandcamp.com/album/third-demo

Funeral Doom that didn't bore me? What in the wide world of sports is going on?!

OLKOTH
https://olkoth.bandcamp.com/

Pretty plain jane Black stuff on the surface which impressed the shit out of me, making it all the more impressive. I like the way that needly guitar sangs. Sounds all sorts of black. Nice art. Never really headbang but my eyes stay shut and I look pretty grim doing it. Great melody. Liked it on first listen, like it even more the second time. More to it than you know.

SUBWAY STABBER
https://chainnyc.bandcamp.com/track/subway-stabber-2

Sucking on the tit of every act before them and they don't give a fuck. Hard dick riffs and the good sangin. Gonna take these lyrics to the shower for a while.

OBSCURE EVIL
https://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/album/midnight-forces

Caligari's cabinet has been a cornucopia of good for a while now. Rotten fruit, acrimonious roots and some esoteric shit every now and then. Give this one a moment to sink in, its got hooks.

ALTAR STOMPER

Fun mentions;
Vitriol - s/t
Worm - Nights in Hell'
Solar Mass - Pseudomorphosis

And others
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jan 3, 2017,
So I've been playing this album a lot lately. Gonna make sure we all know about it.

LET'S LISTEN
Adramelech - Psychostasia

https://xtreemmusic.bandcamp.com/album/psychostasia

Often overshadowed by Slumber of the Sullen Eyes (fantastic album) but we've got more than enough time in the world for both. "But VG if I want Fin Wierd I'll just play Demilich moan/groan," they say and in response I have Heroes in Godly Blaze lined up. Demlich never gave you such straight up weird, Psychostasia moves like an alien that needs to eat, Demlich always had the gait of an animal that said "Eat?" They make great traveling companions regardless, both of em really making the moves on the fret board like she's a sci fi chick who needs appendages of aberrant dimensions to get off. But difference being Psychostasia can put the hard moves on you, knowing what you want and sometimes just giving you some meat to chew on without the funny stuff. Hear that title track? It can go back and forth from that singular purpose to alien trainwreck without making me grimace. That ending will blow out your speakers. Lyrics with Shamans in their seance are a little more earthly than you might think. Still got the weird going on and you can hear it in the music. Makes you comfortable with that good ol heavy thrash stuff, plenty filled bucket o'death, but it spills out to reveal strange contents beneath. Halfway through the Shaman song, you'll see. It's all just been a launchpad to that final frontier. Soak in that lead afterward. That Book of the Worm will get that slick intro in your head for a good while.

Production is damn fine.

Listen you ass holes.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jan 3, 2017,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Digging the fuck out of Flame Acausal. Something about it his hitting the spot right about now.

You've got good taste, feel good about it.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Page 1 of 3