So I think this is the right section for this question...... If not please don't crucify me

Anyways I've been playing guitar for a couple of weeks after a very long lay off (Don't think I've played properly in about 6 years) So my sense of timing etc is all over the place. I've got myself a couple of books and have learned more theory in the last few weeks than I ever learned in the first place. I'm also planning to work my way through the Andy James metal rhythm guitar in 6 weeks DVD course by lick library once I've got my picking etc back up to scratch. In the mean time, so I don't sound like THAT kid at the talent show who can't play violin to save their life. I've been thinking of getting some headphones to whack into my amp, so that I can practice in relative silence. I'm aware there will still be string noise, but this way I'll be able to play through an amp without bugging people and be able to practice into the night. However I'm a little unsure what to go for. I've been thinking of doing this for a long time and have had my eyes on some Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Pro Monitor Headphones for about a year, but they are a bit of an investment at around £120. While I could justify that by saying that I'd probably end up using them constantly when I got them. I was just wondering if I could save myself some cash in the long run and just use anything as long as it has a 3.5 jack?
I have those same M50x's and really like them. Great for guitar, music, movies on airplanes, etc.

What amp or gear are you looking to plug the headphones into?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Its a bit cringe worthy as I know a lot of the "lesser" Marshals used to roasted on here, but I'm going to be plugging them into a Marshal AVT150 DFX for the time being. I have got my eyes on a Blackstar TVP 60, but I want to be able to do it justice before I go out and get new gear. I have a problem with dexterity in my fingers. And in the past I've got pretty disheartened at not being able to play the stuff that I've wanted. I spent a long time thinking of switching over to bass as I thought it would be more fulfilling, but I've just gone back to the drawing board started from scratch. I've got guitar for dummies on my kindle a learn to play rock guitar in 6 weeks book that's spends the first week or two going over what is a pretty basic stuff that I'd do anyway to get my fingers stretched out and warmed up but now at least I've got something to work with rather than thinking "that riff sounds easy" getting hold of a tab and then putting my SZ320 down after half an hour cause I can't play it lol
With an amp you may be better off using low-fi headphones like whatever earbuds you have laying around.

No experience with your amp but the headphones out on a Randall SS amp I had wasn't very good and this seems to be a common theme.

You may get better results putting your money into a better headphone setup like a POD or amp sims on your computer (I use Peavey ReValver) with a Guitar to USB cable.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by WW_88
Its a bit cringe worthy as I know a lot of the "lesser" Marshals used to roasted on here, but I'm going to be plugging them into a Marshal AVT150 DFX for the time being. I have got my eyes on a Blackstar TVP 60, but I want to be able to do it justice before I go out and get new gear. I have a problem with dexterity in my fingers. And in the past I've got pretty disheartened at not being able to play the stuff that I've wanted. I spent a long time thinking of switching over to bass as I thought it would be more fulfilling, but I've just gone back to the drawing board started from scratch. I've got guitar for dummies on my kindle a learn to play rock guitar in 6 weeks book that's spends the first week or two going over what is a pretty basic stuff that I'd do anyway to get my fingers stretched out and warmed up but now at least I've got something to work with rather than thinking "that riff sounds easy" getting hold of a tab and then putting my SZ320 down after half an hour cause I can't play it lol

OK, this has nothing to do with headphones or your amp, but your perceived dexterity problem. You don't have a dexterity problem (unless you have an actual physical infirmity) you have a foundation problem.

Go to http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php, start at lesson one, do NOT advance until you nail each lesson. In 6 weeks if you are diligent you WILL be able to play the stuff you want to. (or 90% of it...)

Yeah, it's not as fun as playing the "cool" parts, but a few weeks of actual work now will lead to years of enjoyment, instead of frustration.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Thanks for the advice :-) I have quite a broad taste in music, but when it comes to guitar I'm mostly drawn towards heavier stuff with the occasional curve ball thrown in. I mean I could go from playing something by machine head to messing about with the intro riff to Californication by the chilli peppers lol So I'd want an amp or as you've said an amp simulator that can cover everything that I could ever want to play. I was really into Nu metal in my late teens and early 20s and a couple of my favourite bands endorsed the AVT on Marshals website at the time (Although in hindsight Jerry Horton and Mike Mushok were probably using 50 AVT backstage as a practice amp) I know that line6 have some good gear and some that you should probably just steer clear of, but back when I was heavily into music a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon of bashing line6 for sounding too digital. And I think that's kinda turned me off pods etc. A lot of people now seem to be championing digital over tube amps. He's not someone I'd say I'm into, but from watching vids on youtube Ola Englund seems to be a good example as does Misha Mansoor. They've both got the chops to be able to play what ever they want, but I'm really into the fact that now days serious musicians are leaving there tube amps at home or in the studio and taking digital rigs on the road I mean who'd have thought you'd have a computer take over from a 4 figure tube amp? This is going off topic, but for someone who just wants to play guitar in their room with no real aspirations of being in a band or recording etc would you say that an amp sim would be the better way to go? And if so could you give me some recommendation of what I should look into :-) I feel like a dinosaur when it comes to all this stuff now days. Its literally only cause my step kids have been forced to take up classical guitar at school in the last couple of years that I've even been near a guitar until I got my Ibanez out of the attic.
Arby911 Hey I didn't see your reply as I was typing my previous reply out in note. I have Dyspraxia which is a condition that effects fine motor skills. In the past I struggled like hell getting my fingers into "weird and wonderful positions" to play chords. It was only until I realised that I was playing arpeggios during the intro/verse to the burning red by machine head that I realised that I could actually switch fingerings. At one point I was going to switch over to bass because I can play riffs reasonably well its just that chords were the problem. However a few weeks ago I picked up this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zero-Rock-Hero-Course-Playing/dp/1845433254/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474304570&sr=8-1&keywords=from+zero+to+guitar+hero and I'm getting more out of that than what I ever did paying £10 a week for about a year of guitar lessons. Its giving me lesson plans to follow and if I can't learn to play the major chords in a week I've got the rest of my life to learn them without incurring the wrath of a guy who wanted to blow Satriani lol I will have a look at that site in a bit though as like I've said I'm learning from scratch, so I'll take any advice or recommendations :-)
Last edited by WW_88 at Sep 19, 2016,
Good luck. I think you might like the tone and tempo of the site I suggested, and there are free lessons there from bone simple to quite advanced.

Just don't quit.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Arby911 Thanks :-) Yeah I think one of my biggest problems is that I've not really known what to do when its come to learning stuff. I've known what I've wanted to play, but in the back of my head I've always through "Well I'm not going to be able to go from not being able to play smells like teen spirit properly to playing all 8 minutes of master of puppets in a couple of hours" I've just not known what to do for the best. For a long time I've thought it was maybe because I haven't got a good sound that I'm not really inclined to practice and spent hours scouring through amp reviews trying to find something that would get me the tones I'm after, but recently I've come to realise that without having direction that's when I've fell apart. I have been thinking of taking lesson courses online or getting more books and DVDs I just don't want to get snowed under with a heap of material that I'm trying to get through all at once. That book was a great find and while working through the first couple of weeks has been dull as hell as its basically walking me through my usual warm up routine (going down the freeboard 4 notes at a time from the 1st fret to the 22nd and then going to the next string or playing 4 notes on one string jumping down a string playing 4 notes and then jumping back up to the lowest string and playing from the 5th fret and so on) But I know that if I stick at it in a week or so I'll be leaning to playing all right now, a whole lotta love, wild thing and iron man :-)