Hey all - question for you -

what are some well known songs that are solid examples I could use to memorize the sounds of the following intervals:

descending tritone
descending minor 7th

Thanks for your time everyone. I've been so frustrated trying to find an example of descending minor 7th specifically and it's such a pain. I can only find like 3 examples and the songs themselves just don't sound right to my ears. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks for any help on this - I really appreciate it. I'm trying to teach myself how to audiate and the big challenge seems to be the beginning - finding song examples to help me memorize all the intervals.

I'm sure there are thousands+ songs that move from C to D so I don't know why finding them are such a pain in the ass now. UGH!
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
The first two bass notes in this:

descending m7 and ascending M2 are similar (octave correction)

descending and ascending tritones sound the same (given octave correction)

(0:17 - (Ab Eb Cb Eb) Ab D (Bb D))
If I want to figure out a melody by ear, I don't think much about intervals between two notes. I usually think in scale degrees and chord tones. That just works better for most music.

Also, minor 7ths in melodies are not that common. That's because it's quite a big leap, and most melodies are meant to be singable (this means a lot of stepwise motion and thirds - too big leaps just don't usually sound that "natural" in melodies).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You might have better luck sifting through a jazz fakebook.

The problem is that m7th is not an interval that occurs within a triad, so it's most likely to occur over a chord change. And that's less likely to happen at the very beginning of a song.
Quote by scottishmob

I'm sure there are thousands+ songs that move from C to D so I don't know why finding them are such a pain in the ass now. UGH!
Why are you so sure? Lots of songs do indeed move from C to D, but normally up a major 2nd, not down a m7. As explained, it's an awkward interval to sing. That would be why you can't find them.

One descending m7 you may know is the first melodic move in Watermelon Man, down from the 7th of the chord to the root.

For a descending tritone, a song-interval website gives these:

Enter Sandman (Metallica)
Even Flow (Pearl Jam)
Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
Blue Seven (Sonny Rollins)
YYZ (Rush)

I can vouch for Blue Seven (3rd to 7th of a dom7 chord), not sure about the others (without checking)
Yeah, those are some really obvious ones for tritones.
Black Sabbath

|----------------|----------------|
|--------5-------|----------------|
|----------------|4---------------|
|3---------------|----------------|

Enter Sandman

-| ----------------|
-| ----------------|
-| ----------------|
-| ----------------|
2|(2)2/7---------2-|
0|(0)0---6-5---0-0-|

YYZ, lots of tritones here (Edit: actually as it is Y Y Z , it probably should be 7/16, 7/16, 6/16)
|-----------|-----------|----------|
|3----3--3--|3----3--3--|3--3------|
|---2-------|---2-------|------2-2-|
      .  .        .  .   .

Also for a vocal melody with large jumps, Nightwish - Amaranth chorus. This is not quite what you asked for, it's the opposite, an ascending minor 7th, D to C, "Caress the one". Also then jumps down from C a fifth (F), then a minor 6th (E) but doesn't quite manage a minor 7th descending.

1:12

But there must be a ton of metal songs that have the VI, VII, I progression (e.g. Iron Maiden), so that in E minor you have the movement from D5 to a low E5, just play that and you've got your descending minor 7th interval.
Last edited by NSpen1 at Sep 20, 2016,
descending m7 isn't common and is prescribed against in counterpoint, whose goal is to produce singable harmonies. (the "rule" was ascending m7 is okay, but generally in leap followed by step in opposite direction.)

It's easier to find ascending [x interval] with repeated low note than specifically a note in isolation going down a m7 or a tritone. Otherwise, there are things like:

for m7 (C# g# c# b c# C# c#)

and

for tritone (E A# ... E A# E G#)
The first two syllables of each line of the verse of Even Flow by Pearl Jam is a descending tritone.