I own a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and always directly inputed my guitar into one of the instrument inputs for recording into Logic, but I recently decided to pull my old POD X3 Live out of storage to get a few more tone options.

I am now running my guitar into the guitar input of my Line 6 POD X3 Live and running a S/PDIF cable out of it into my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. Both are set to 44.1kHz sample rate. I have the clock sync source set to have the POD X3 Live as the sync source via the Scarlett Mix Control program. Everything runs smoothly and runs great for about 3 minutes or so, and then the clock reverts back to the internal Scarlett clock and I start getting clicks and pops in my audio. Its getting really annoying having to set the sync source every 3-5 minutes when I want to play guitar. Any ideas to what the problem could be would be really appreciated. The S/PDIF cable is brand new; I just bought it a week ago when I realized this was how I wanted my guitar setup to be.
Is the clock source set in both ScarlettMix and the DAW to the Pod?

After that, you should first connect the S/PDIF output of the external device to the S/PDIF input of the Saffire or Scarlett.

You should then launch Saffire or Scarlett MixControl and set the sync source to SPDIF (shown below). You should also refer to the user guide of your external device to make sure that it is set to its internal clock. Finally, make sure that the sample rate of the two devices are matched. The output from the external device should now appear as the SPDIF Inputs within your DAW. (The Input number will vary depending on which Saffire or Scarlett you have.)

***Note that if you are on a Mac using the Class Compliant Apple Driver you will need to ensure you are sending Signal over SPDIF and at the correct Sample Rates before switching over or it will just switch back to Internal if No Lock is found.***
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
^ what he said. Also I think there is a master/slave option on some of these so see if you can set one as master (the audio interface) or vice versa.
Personally - if it is getting that complicated, you can just go via the analog out on the POD, you won't be missing anything.
Thanks for the replies. The POD can only act as a master so there are no settings for switching that around. The Scarlett auto slaves to whatever you set your clock settings to. The sample rates on both are set to 44.1kHz. I assigned the S/PDIF input on my Scarlett to tracks 9 and 10, and when I set that as my input for a track in Logic Pro X I get a nice clean signal for about 5 minutes until the Scarlett clock reverts to its internal clock and I start getting clicks and pops. Then I reset the clock in Mix Control to S/PDIF and I'm good for another 5 minutes.

I turn my equipment on in this order: POD X3 Live, Scarlett 18i20, Presonus Monitor Station, Studio Monitors. The clock is automatically assigned to S/PDIF in Scarlett mix control when I do it this way, and then it ends up reverting to the internal clock.

I used to connect the POD to the analogue inputs on the Scarlett, but it takes up 2 inputs and I have to always mess around with the gain knobs on my Scarlett to prevent different POD patches from clipping in Logic. I noticed when I use S/PDIF, I always get clean, healthy signals in Logic no matter what POD patches I am using and the signal never clips. I don't have any other S/PDIF capable devices, so using the POD through S/PDIF is ideal because I'm not using any of my precious analogue inputs.

Edit: I've looked over other forums and it seems like I am doing everything right. I have also tried out other sample rates and I have tried keeping mix control open on the screen instead of minimizing it and nothing is working, I think it might have something to do with the POD, because I hooked up my Xbox One to my Scarlett via S/PDIF and it worked like a charm. Maybe I'm just shit out of luck and I am going to have to box my POD back up and start inputing my guitar directly back into my Scarlett's instrument input again.
Last edited by chronic_stp at Sep 23, 2016,
I know its been awhile this this thread has been posted in but I'll just throw in a quick update as I finally narrowed down the problem.

I've been using the analogue outputs on the POD for the past month because I couldn't get the S/PDIF clock to remain synced between the POD and the Scarlett. I was also getting a loud sudden pop through my studio monitors every so often when playing my guitar. I finally realized this happened every time my mini fridge's motor would start. Never realized it until today because the motor is fairly quiet. I have my power conditioner with all of my audio equipment hooked up into an outlet, and my mini fridge hooked up to the outlet right below it. I unplugged my mini fridge as a test and and what do ya know!? No more sudden loud pops and my POD and Scarlett sync together no problem! Thought I would update to let people know the dangers of plugging audio equipment into the same outlet as a mini fridge!
Quote by chronic_stp
I know its been awhile this this thread has been posted in but I'll just throw in a quick update as I finally narrowed down the problem.

I've been using the analogue outputs on the POD for the past month because I couldn't get the S/PDIF clock to remain synced between the POD and the Scarlett. I was also getting a loud sudden pop through my studio monitors every so often when playing my guitar. I finally realized this happened every time my mini fridge's motor would start. Never realized it until today because the motor is fairly quiet. I have my power conditioner with all of my audio equipment hooked up into an outlet, and my mini fridge hooked up to the outlet right below it. I unplugged my mini fridge as a test and and what do ya know!? No more sudden loud pops and my POD and Scarlett sync together no problem! Thought I would update to let people know the dangers of plugging audio equipment into the same outlet as a mini fridge!

This is a well documented issue, but I never would have thought of it.

For everyone to know, any sudden power spikes can and will throw off clocking. Not only for S/PDIF or ADAT, but your old BNC clocks will go haywire. This will also hold true for grounding issues - if your gear is improperly grounded, the clock will eventually loose lock and cause issues.

Good to see your issue has been resolved, and happy recording!
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale