[DISCLAIMER: I'm a complete gear noob and i'm only now starting to learn about this kind of stuff so i may sound a bit stupid]

I've been looking into buying a new amp for a while now. My first choice is the orange micro dark which is a 20 watt tube amp, however i don't have enough money to buy a good cab along with it (a.k.a not willing to spend $500 for a speaker in a box) so i searched around on the internet for a bit and found out that i could use any combo amp's speaker as a cab. My problem is that i only have my Fender frontman 15g and i'm not sure as to the internal speaker's wattage. On the back plate of the amp it simply says "38W" but other sources online specify 15W. I'm now wondering if there is any way to raise my speaker's wattage or even if anybody can recommend a cheap 1x12 cab (under $100-150)
first of all the micro dark isn't all-tube, it's a hybrid amp. it may well sound good for what it is (i haven't tried it), but don't buy it thinking it's a proper tube amp or you're likely to be disappointed.

secondly, if you're lucky, it might say on the back of the speaker (the actual speaker, not the back panel of the amp) what the wattage is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
first of all the micro dark isn't all-tube, it's a hybrid amp

The Micro Dark is *barely* a hybrid, at that. There's one single 12 AX7 tube in the preamp section. I think it's there more so that the marketing can include the word "tube" in the bullet points somewhere. It's essentially a solid state amp.

There are two wattage indications on most of these amps: the output power (15W) and the required power where you plug it in at the outlet (38W -- like a 40W lightbulb).
yeah absolutely I know I rag on blackstar a lot, but at least their hybrids actually are genuinely hybrids- about 50:50 tube to solid state. just they're a bit cagey about the fact they're hybrids in their advertising, which is why so many of us don't much like them...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am not a death metal dude but the guys I know who are don't dig the Micro-Dark much. It sounds good in the store and when they brought it home it wore thin quickly. Maybe have a look at Jet City instead. It's a real tube amp with tons of searing gain at a dirt cheap price. If you *must* own the micro dark, use it to drive a proper speaker. It will melt the cheapie Frontman speaker in about 5 minutes.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Dave_Mc
first of all the micro dark isn't all-tube, it's a hybrid amp. it may well sound good for what it is (i haven't tried it), but don't buy it thinking it's a proper tube amp or you're likely to be disappointed.

secondly, if you're lucky, it might say on the back of the speaker (the actual speaker, not the back panel of the amp) what the wattage is.

Yeah sorry i forgot to mention that but i did actually know lol. I've tried looking at the speaker but it just says the serial number and ohms
Quote by Cajundaddy
I am not a death metal dude but the guys I know who are don't dig the Micro-Dark much. It sounds good in the store and when they brought it home it wore thin quickly. Maybe have a look at Jet City instead. It's a real tube amp with tons of searing gain at a dirt cheap price. If you *must* own the micro dark, use it to drive a proper speaker. It will melt the cheapie Frontman speaker in about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check them out
Quote by trolloman78
Yeah sorry i forgot to mention that but i did actually know lol. I've tried looking at the speaker but it just says the serial number and ohms

dang. i tried looking on the fender website but they didn't seem to have the manual for your amp, and the manual i did download for a similar model didn't list the specs of the speaker
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Save up however much it is to buy one of these in $.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

You won't get better for the money unless you go used and I would not settle for less than this. Its tempting to skimp on the speaker cabinet (as they are just a speaker in a box) but don't. Speakers and cabinets make up a substantial portion of how your rig is going to sound overall. Buying anything cheaper right now will make you lose money in the longer term as you'll be wanting to upgrade what you've just bought pretty soon after. It makes more sense in the longer term to spend a bit more and get something that's decent to begin with.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 21, 2016,
^ Agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Agree with the others, nothing good is gonna come from that speaker/box.
Don't underestimate this important component, if you had the best equipment and ran it through that it wouldn't sound good.
Ive had a frontman 15 and a micro dark and they sound almost identical(through the same speaker). I settled on the frontman because it has an eq and the micro dark has none. The dark stands for all bass. However, 38 watts would be just fine for the 20 watt micro dark. It might blow if you play it on 10.
Last edited by geo-rage at Sep 25, 2016,
trolloman78 That 38 watt on the back is power consumption. It consumes 38 watts to produce 15. Amps are very inefficient. Like a 100 watt head consumes over 300 watts.

Source: I own a 15g as well.

Any cheap combo that puts out enough wattage or any cab can work, provided the speaker impedance and wattage handling is matched.
If the frontman15 has a ext. Spkr. jack like mine that defeats the internal speaker, you can try out all kinds of cabs with it. I use a 2-6" sealed cab. The front man speaker sounds good for clean fendery blues but it sounds terrible on the max gain. A different speaker changes that completely and the fm. can actually express metal . Practice metal anyway. The micro dark power supply is supposedly 15v*2amps.
Last edited by geo-rage at Sep 25, 2016,