One of the screws in my pickup pot is loose. Might be stripped but I'm not sure. The pickup occasionally rattles when I play

Pic of the screw in question

Is that just as simple as replacing the screw, or if its the hole, is it repairable?
Remove the pickup from the guitar and find out what actually stripped. Hopefully it is just the screw.

If the ears of the pickup are what stripped, then you'll need to drill the hole out to a larger size and cut out some new threads with a tap. Then buy a larger screw that supports the larger hole. Then you'll have to do the same for all the other ears so that all the screws match. It sucks, but there isn't a much better way of doing it unless you don't mind one single screw not matching the others.

Plan C would be that if the ears are stripped, consider this an excuse to bin the stock INF's and upgrade them to something better.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 19, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Plan C would be that if the ears are stripped, consider this an excuse to bin the stock INF's and upgrade them to something better.

I agree. I'd take this as a sign to upgrade the pickups.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
+1 for some new pups!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Maybe the spring is not long enough and it no longer has tension on it.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Sounds like the consensus is new pickups haha. Thanks for the input gents, I'll start saving some money

Google GFS pickups.

They're decent and cheap.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Wilde pickups L500XL handmade in U.S.A. and only like $60 awesome sounds!

http://www.wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by geo-rage
Maybe the spring is not long enough and it is no longer in compression.

Sorry, I'm an engineer ;-)
Quote by geo-rage
Maybe the spring is not long enough and it no longer has tension on it.

^^This ^^
Just remove it and see what the spring looks like,
maybe extend it some to give the screw a bit more tension.

OR

If it is stripped out,
just fill the hole with epoxy or some wood glue,
wait for it to dry, & re-thread the hole.

Actually here's a video you might find more useful:

No need to make the hole any bigger.
Quote by Iron_Age
^^This ^^
the nicest thing anyone ever said to me on this site.

It's hard to imagine the screw would strip out and become loose and rattley.

Sometimes the pickup will come out without taking the strings off, or at least enough to see what is going on under there

I have a brand new suggestion now. There is nothing wrong with the pickup. The screw with the finger pointing at it is the height adjustment screw. It doesn't go into wood and it turns freely to make the pickup go up and down. If you tighten that screw the pickup will raise out of the surround, if you loosen it the pickup will sink. It is possible to loosen it too much but from the picture, the height is just about right.
Last edited by geo-rage at Sep 22, 2016,
Quote by geo-rage
no longer compressed??

Yeah, tension is a 'stretching' force but the spring should be in compression (squashing force). The screw which goes through the spring in in tension.
Not that it's that important for the fix, so ignore my ramblings ;-)
But it could be important to the fix. That screw has to be under tension or the pickup will rattle.
You could try holding the guitar so that the pickup faces the ground and lightly touch the pickup to see if it moves easily. If it does then maybe that spring needs stretching a little bit.