The best $300 Bass Guitar is the one that actually inspires you to play and keep playing when you get it in your hands.

For those who want Punch, it will be a Bolt On Neck.
For those who want Smooth, and sustain without a mult-iply neck, it will be a Neck Through/Set neck.

The second test that the best $300 Bass will have to pass after you like how it plays, will be how well it stays in tune with the strings of your choice. If it cannot hold in tune, it is no good to you.

Beyond all of this, I have recommended the Ibanez BTB400 for 4 stringers, and the BTB405 and BTB455 for 5ers.

The Basswood foundation is very clear and colorless, the 5 Ply Maple/Walnut Bolt On Neck is Punchy and has Harmonics all over the place like I have never heard in a Mahogany SetNeck.

Thin Fast Neck.

Variable Mid-range sweep.

That is a whole lot to love for $300.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
The BTB400 series is loooooooooooooong discontinued.

But yeah. Want active tone on the cheap? Get an Ibanez. Their workshop BTBs are fuckin' tasty.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 20, 2016,
The 400;s can be found here and there on Ebay, for around $300.

Very nice entry into the attributes of the Boutique world.

400 Series is where I step off, the Clarity of Basswood, the Bolt on, and Vari Mid is all I can ask for.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Yea but I bet no one who has a 300 dollar budget for their main bass can tell a lick of difference between a neck-through or bolt-on.

I'd bet even most bassists who play 3000 dollar basses couldn't tell. Or if they could, they wouldn't be able to say which one was which.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
For those who want Punch, it will be a Bolt On Neck.
For those who want Smooth, and sustain without a mult-iply neck, it will be a Neck Through/Set neck.

*snip*

The Basswood foundation is very clear and colorless, the 5 Ply Maple/Walnut Bolt On Neck is Punchy and has Harmonics all over the place like I have never heard in a Mahogany SetNeck.

Are these statements actually based on anything remotely objective or scientific?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Adam Nitti clued me in on the fact that bolt on necks are punchy in comparison to set necks.

This became very real to me when I finally got my hands on a top of the line Ken Smith after wanting to play one for over 22 years.

No joy in comparison to any of my BTBs. Then I played a Bolt On Ken Smith, and it was inspiring just like my 456.

Price and my dream of a top of the line Ken Smith should have made me like the TOL Ken, but it did not.

I had to play and learn for myself.

Perhaps most players would not notice what I have, but I did, For Adam's point made to me, I was able to understand why what I thought would be the Holy Grail of Basses in my book was just not interesting at all, especially for $5K

As for he tone of Basswood, there is plenty of data on that, and mostly from Luthiers like David King.

This is how I came to learn how it is that I do not like Walnut as a body wood, and Maple was just too bright, that it was not just me and something that I thought I was hearing.

Play lots of basses, make notes, trust your ear and your heart.

I write these things that you may learn to tell the difference,
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
The issue is that I don't understand how anyone can consistently point out that a bass sounds a certain way on the merit of the instrument having a neck that's screwed in as opposed to glued in. The fact that an artist that you respect has told you there is a difference may well have created a placebo effect because by listening to someone who in your view is a voice of authority, it loads the guitar with a bolt-on neck with an expectation of how it is actually going to sound without even playing it yet. So right out of the gate, your assessment cannot be factual.

If you heard a difference, then that is fine. But I believe it is more likely that the difference exists psychologically and/or the difference is created by factors that have nothing to do with the neck construction, than the function of the instrument itself having a bolt-on neck. With so many hundreds of variables at play, attributing nuanced differences in sound to only one specific variable means that the odds of that actually being the case are stacked against you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 7, 2016,
TOODEEPBLUE.

Be a skeptic, but you are at your own intellectual peril as you know nothing of me, and are ignoring the facts of what I experienced.

Adam was not as much as an authority as he was a peer.

He was 16 when I saw him perform and it made me pretty much quit, I sold him my speaker cabinet which he used until he signed to SWR. That design was picked up by me from my college instructor who stole my idea of going for the Ken Smith 6 as he made fun of my BC Rich US hand made Mockingbird, the instructor went up to NY on the first summer and bought the 5th KS6 ever made and beat out John Pattatuci to the option of choice.

I might have been a slouch of a player, I only ranked in the top 7 of Jazz Bassists in the Georgia Public Education system for the 2 years I could compete, but was never the #1,

So, Adam was really more of a Peer, despite his devastating talent. He was always so humble, helpful, and I sensed that his angle on gear was finding what worked for the individual.

As I played around with Adam's Warrior 6 Signature I asked him about why bolt on over set neck.

Later I helped a guy out by getting his Warrior Studio5 out of Pawn and played that set neck bass for a year, and noticed the reality of the punch I was getting from the "lesser" instruments that I had around me. It did not really compute at the time.

After meeting the owner of Warrior I aspired to get rid of the Studio 5 and thus find a replacement for it.

I stumbled on a BTB 455, and was astounded that it would do at least as good as the Warrior, and I got it set up even better than the Warrior. So, I was done with the Set necks and the Boutique bass I could never afford to replace.

Some years later, in Atlanta I went to the Bass Gallery where I finally got my hands on the KS6 set neck, top of the line.

I finally had it in my hands, and there was no joy for me, no inspiration. It fell flat to me. The action was great, top of the line electronics. Amazing specs and wood, just NO JOY. I would take my BTB 1006 that I brought in, or my 456 over that in a second!

Looking around they had a Mid Line KS6, bolt on, great action, and whiz bang! It was happening!

I disagree with your disbelief.

The attack of my instruments in my hands is very factual, and the comparison of the two Ken Smiths played it out in a test that should have had me wanting a set neck bass to this day, But I do not. (And I did not even know I needed the inspiration of punch when I played Adam's Warrior 6)

I will say this about my experience again. If my 2 456's, 1 406, and the 1006 all perished, I would be looking for replacements for them on Ebay, or getting a KS 6 with a bolt on neck and top line active electronics.

That is what I felt in my hands and heard in my ears brother, I did not really believe that it made any difference before, but 30 mins at the Bass Gallery proved it to me.

For the price of one Ken Smith, I have 2 456's. 1 406, 1 455, 1 405, and a 1006 at my disposal.

I think that kind of proves that I am not looking back.

As for anything "stacked against" me...respectfully...you have no knowledge about who or what I am, or my experience, until now.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Be a skeptic, but you are at your own intellectual peril as you know nothing of me, and are ignoring the facts of what I experienced.

I don't think anyone is going to witchhunt me for being, 'that guy who doesn't think the type of neck joint has a significant portion of a guitar's amplified tone.' Because most people on UG would actually agree.

There's plenty of people out there that have their own anecdotes about one guitar sounding better than another. And they ascribe it towards one very niche and specific thing amidst hundreds of variables without any scientific basis for coming to that conclusion. At the end of the day if a guitar sounds good, then you don't need a graph to tell you why if it just feels right. But if you try and put forward your point as 'being very factual', that's when you need to start getting the graphs out when people challenge you. And more than that, isolate all other variables (incredibly difficult to do) but the neck joint for your tests to actually mean anything.

I really do not care for the level of experience you claim to have. I think it's very arrogant to dismiss someone else's perspective just because you think you're more experienced than them. Above experience, there's scientific data. I think the points DKGCustom, WillsEasyGuitar and even Crimson guitars' blog, put forward are points that are of value and I think you should investigate those so you can grasp some alternate points of view if you're interested. I say that the odds are stacked against you not because I want to make you upset, I have no emotional investment in trying to berate your claims. But that's just the way things are. Guitars and the way they sound is an extremely messy environment with so many variables that nailing down one particular variable out of the hundred other possible things stacks the odds of the hypothesis being correct against you as a matter of probability.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 9, 2016,
Rondomusic.com has good value guitar and bass.. I like my Ursa 2 4-string Jazz, I upgraded the bridge to Babicz FCH 4-string bass bridge, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickups and Fender tuners (stock is ok just cant leave it alone because I'm a modder)
http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2mn6ash3ts.html
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Ok then.

I am supposed to say go buy anything made out of anything, ti makes no difference what it is or how it is made, they are all the same, instruments within themselves have nothing at all to provide to the player, just buy whatever is marketed to you?

Nope, I think not. Thanks but no thanks.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Quote by Sliide90027
Ok then.

I am supposed to say go buy anything made out of anything, ti makes no difference what it is or how it is made, they are all the same, instruments within themselves have nothing at all to provide to the player, just buy whatever is marketed to you?

Nope, I think not. Thanks but no thanks.

You're 100% correct. Such rhetoric perfectly represents what I've been advocating this entire time.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 11, 2016,

*Waves Ibanez flag*

Mine ticked all the boxes for £60, including a flight case. Which is currently $73, but would have been less three or four years ago.

I still have no idea what the model is.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Quote by GAPendragon

*Waves Ibanez flag*

Mine ticked all the boxes for £60, including a flight case. Which is currently $73, but would have been less three or four years ago.

I still have no idea what the model is.

One of my biggest regrets is selling my SR800 that I got used for 285.00 USD. It was a great bass with quite a few tonal possibilities. So I'll wave that Ibanez flag for a good bass for even a better price point.
Ibanez makes great basses and I have owned several in my day, but a little piece of Ibanez is and shall remain on my sh*t list until they reissue the Musician series of basses - and I don't mean that gaudy, overpriced limited edition model they did a few years ago!

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Perhaps we could start an e-mail bombardment campaign on Ibanez until they come to their senses? A hundred variations of the Steve Mai JEM77 and no reissue Musician bass?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The thought of a Japanese company bowing to pressure from the public. If we did that then they'd double down and eradicate all memory of the Musician.

(Seriously, Japanese business practices are ba-nay-nays. Look at Konami.)