Been listening to some music and I realised how much I love the tone from This Town Needs Guns:

YouTube.com/watch?v=d26VeBKntvA

Basically, just the start of this album with the hammer-ons and such... It's not really a clean sound, but it's very solid and metallic. Can this be achieved with a low-gain overdrive such as a Walrus Audio Messner? I can sort of get a similar sound. I have a Hagström Tremar Super Swede with the using both pickups straight into a Vox AC4HW1 with the gain halfway, volume at nine o' clock, bass at 0, and treble halfway. It's close, but let's pose the following question:

Assuming a double-humbucker guitar goes into a stock, 100% clean amplifier with little tone- coloration, how can I achieve that tone with an effect pedal?
"My dirt pedals are made of Hulk dick! (and Russian tanks and SRV's urine... which is yellow but full of Blues!)"

-tel_nobody
Last edited by LtnVasquez at Sep 20, 2016,
sounds pretty clean to me. maybe a little compression?

EDIT: also sometimes clean tones are a dirty amp tone but with the guitar's volume control turned down to clean it up. so that'd be worth trying as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sounds like a neck pickup into a fairly clean amp to me. it does have a slightly gritty sound to it. a clean boost set low or perhaps an EQ pedal with a level control. compression was likely used as well. since the next section goes into full on fuzz it's possible that it's a bridge pickup into a fuzz pedal with the volume on the guitar turned down enough that it cleans up the sound for the most part (old style fuzz pedals often have a bassy sound) . if you have a fuzz pedal ( more along the lines of a fuzzface than a muff) then give that a try
To get that sound I think a big part of it is technique, did a quick youtube search and it seems like the guitar player used a lot of finger picking and neck tapping in his playing, also looks like he plays a tele with single coils.

guitarsngear Great find! I really do like that video, but I'm currently doing a tab on the first song from the album I linked and Tim Collis (TTNG guitarist) doesn't do a lot of neck tapping. Fingerpicking...? Not sure.

monwobobbo Good point... However the main guitarist playing at the beginning is playing more of a distorted lead part. A second guitarist plays the sort fuzzy power chords and such.

Hey, thanks for the replies, guys. This help quite a bit!
"My dirt pedals are made of Hulk dick! (and Russian tanks and SRV's urine... which is yellow but full of Blues!)"

-tel_nobody