Strat players, you guys prefer vintage or modern strats? American or Mexican.

I got my very first strat back in march of 00' it was HSS, Olympic white, with a rosewood neck(still have the neck) it was a great guitar, sold it for a epiphone lp custom. I recently got a 50s classic, jet stream blue an aside from the pickup configuration an neck wood, its really different! Its lighter,and I might be wrong but the body is about 1/8 less in thickness, so the modern strats got fatter? Anyway just missing my old strat. An wanted to hear who likes what
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
for some reason with telecasters i am not happy with mexican ones. i don't know why, i have owned at least four or five. mexican strats gel with me nicely though. the only strat i have at the moment is a 1995 olympic white on white with a maple fretboard. i love that guitar, i have $175 into it. lol. for MIM's i also don't care for the rosewood fretboards (somebody brought this up the other day that reminded me), it seems like the rosewood on them is just not as nice.

now for the americans, i still prefer maple fretboards, but rosewood is fine (although i have never owned a rosewood american fender). i have three american teles at the moment and i love them. my favorite is my 52AVRI, closely followed by a 1997 tele + series ii, which is the precursor to the deluxe models, three lace pickups in it stock and it is a blast. i also have just an american standard tele, it plays and sounds nice, not really a major standout.

as far as fender goes, i plan on getting an american strat one of these days. i am the kind of person who does need two strats.

/pointless rambling
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for some reason with telecasters i am not happy with mexican ones. i don't know why, i have owned at least four or five. mexican strats gel with me nicely though. the only strat i have at the moment is a 1995 olympic white on white with a maple fretboard. i love that guitar, i have $175 into it. lol. for MIM's i also don't care for the rosewood fretboards (somebody brought this up the other day that reminded me), it seems like the rosewood on them is just not as nice.

now for the americans, i still prefer maple fretboards, but rosewood is fine (although i have never owned a rosewood american fender). i have three american teles at the moment and i love them. my favorite is my 52AVRI, closely followed by a 1997 tele + series ii, which is the precursor to the deluxe models, three lace pickups in it stock and it is a blast. i also have just an american standard tele, it plays and sounds nice, not really a major standout.

as far as fender goes, i plan on getting an american strat one of these days. i am the kind of person who does need two strats.

/pointless rambling

I had a min strat, that was the white one I was explaiing about before, its funny you mention the rosewood on mim necks, mind did age funny, the rosewood got alot lighter, like its struggling to change to maple or something lol, and I guess it gets softer with time but the frets have sunk down alot, but its cool looking. I too would love an American stray, played a deluxe HSS about 2 weeks ago at my local gc, it was it was a beautiful deep but not dark blue, gorgeous! I love maple necks, I think with the right color body they look pure legit, but I have a difficult playing one, I guess its the larger/fatter necks, really the only issue I have with them, but they're a great touch on a strat ?
Marshall DSL40c
Never played a Tele before lol friend has his and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he sleeps with it, sounds great though, he's in a ska band. Not sure what he has but its a black fender Tele
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by VirgoLife87
Never played a Tele before lol friend has his and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he sleeps with it, sounds great though, he's in a ska band. Not sure what he has but its a black fender Tele

teles are nice, if i had to choose between either a strat or a tele, it would be a tele for me, every time. but they are different and both awesome.

could you post up a pic of that rosewood fretboard? you have me curious.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Yea absolutely, I'm at work but later on the day definitely! ?
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by VirgoLife87
Yea absolutely, I'm at work but later on the day definitely! ?

thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!

its hard to tell and I didn't want to filter the pics but its a lot lighter than what it seems, I took numerous pics and this is the one that came out to as you would see it in person
Marshall DSL40c
Are you sure the other one isn't dyed? My SG has pretty light rosewood, for instance. My cheaper guitars all are a lot darker and with a lot less grain.
Quote by VirgoLife87

I got my very first strat back in march of 00' it was HSS, Olympic white, with a rosewood neck(still have the neck) it was a great guitar, sold it for a epiphone lp custom. I recently got a 50s classic, jet stream blue an aside from the pickup configuration an neck wood, its really different! Its lighter,and I might be wrong but the body is about 1/8 less in thickness, so the modern strats got fatter? Anyway just missing my old strat. An wanted to hear who likes what

Hmm that sounds weird. Did you buy the 50s classic new? IIRC they should still be standard Fender body thickness (1 3/4") so if its thinner, you might have gotten an affinity or bullet body instead.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
depends on how you want to define "modern" I guess. my fav Strat is a MIM with 21 small vintage style frets and a 6 screw bridge. it also has a roller nut, locking tuners and Graphtec saddles . I'm not after the "glassy" clean tones that many strat players use which is associated with "vintage". I do prefer the 9.5" fretboard radius to 7.25 which is my one total nod to modern. guess I fall somewhere in between when it comes to this subject.

I don't have a major preference when it comes to US or MIM either, I have both and each has pros and cons. I want a good guitar that works well for me that's my main concern.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hmm that sounds weird. Did you buy the 50s classic new? IIRC they should still be standard Fender body thickness (1 3/4") so if its thinner, you might have gotten an affinity or bullet body instead.

No its a fender it measure 1.75 I checked, Idk maybe it was me, yea its a 50s strat. But I changed the neck, pickups and pickguard.
Marshall DSL40c
bummer about that fretboard. that should not be happening on a guitar that is relatively new. huh. i would send that pic Fender's way and see what they say.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i like both
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by VirgoLife87

I really like the new American made strats, I feel like they've really refined the instrument and broken it down to its best design features. Most of the American standards I pick up and play (as long as they are set-up properly) feel like home. Anything above the American Standard starts to get a bit superfluous in that, you aren't really getting a lot more value for a lot more money (Similar to the Gibson LP Studio vs Standard dilemma). At some point you just start paying for fluff.

My all-time favorite Stratocaster are those made in Japan, specifically my father has an 82 MIJ Fender Stratocaster and it is just unbelievable. It puts new Fender Custom Shops to shame, the finish, the neck quality, every appointment on that instrument is so absolutely perfect. To me the strat never got better than those 80's MIJ models. In general, to this day, I have not found any manufacturing to exceed that of the Japanese when it comes to musical instruments, period. Whether it's a violin, a piano, or a guitar, the Japanese take such unrivaled pride in their process that everything churned out is just absolutely perfect.

Just a personal experience as an example, I went into a store to play a bunch of Gibson LPs and they also had a ton of Ibanez RG655's (completely different guitars, I know, but hang in there with me here). I picked 4 LPs off the wall, all LP standards. Each one played drastically different, on one, the binding was a mess, the other just had awful fret work, two were very nice with one standing out like a $3500 les paul should. That's abysmal quality control from Gibson and it's what I know them for today. I'm still in the market for an LP but part of me really hates Gibson for their ego. They expect all this admiration yet churn out completely inconsistent quality and have the audacity to say "the guitar that started it all". It's honestly despicable. The Les Paul as a guitar when you get a good one A+!!! Gibson as a company, a brand and its legacy in music? If it were up to Gibson, the only guitar available would be a Les Paul. Needless to say I did not by my LP on this day as I was so rattled and angered by that experience, that some kid would walk in there and probably buy an LP for 3500 bucks and potentially not get the real thing.

Then over to the RG prestige's which I was in the market for as well. I picked five of these off the wall. Each one, perfectly identical quality. Sure, minute differences in wood grain etc, your rosewoods are going to differ in color a bit, your maple will differ, but each one felt the same and had equal playability and feel and fit and finish. Not a single flaw was detectable on these guitars and they all proudly hung there with their QC inspection cards from the Fujigen factory with five individual inspector stamps for specific components of the instrument plus one final QC control inspector for the overall fit and finish. It was easy to pick my RG655 out of the mix, it was the one with the serial number that had my birth date in it and the color that I wanted.

So back to the Fender strats, I'm an American (although I live in Canada). I love my American strat and it's still a great guitar. But nothing will compare to that Japanese made strat, just like our production guitars simply still don't compare to the Japanese made guitars of today (of which sadly, there aren't many!).
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer