Squier classic vibe 50's strat
5 36%
Ltd ec 256 with coild split/tap
3 21%
epiphone sg 400 pro with coil split/tap
6 43%
Voters: 14.
Page 1 of 2
Hi guys i'm looking to pick up my first electric guitar in the coming months. I'm looking at a good all rounder as i want to maybe play classic rock and blues and I've singled out a couple of guitars now the guitars are gonig to be the budget end because I can't justify buying an american made guitar. I've narrowed down a few which are ltd ec-256 with coli tap/split, epiphone sg-400 pro with coil split/tap, and squier classic vibe 50's strat. I'm looking at a coil tap/split option because it gives me versatility and most of all i'm in love with that neck pickup tone of the strat just got me hooked but i would like to play the heavier stuff as well not metal but more towards acdc, bon jovi and the likes. I would love to hear your comments and also what is a good way to start playing? I must mention that i already have the amp. It's a blackstar idcore 10 which i bought when i was moving back home. Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon.
i would go squier and put a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge if you want something really versatile.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdupI have seen that some strats do come with a HSS setup as well but would it be decent at playing classic rock? That's why i included the sg because i think it's the closest to the strat but is a bit more towards classic rock as well.
Quote by julianlopez_85
trashedlostfdupI have seen that some strats do come with a HSS setup as well but would it be decent at playing classic rock? That's why i included the sg because i think it's the closest to the strat but is a bit more towards classic rock as well.

there are so many things to factor into your tone, a strat with a bucker in the bridge will do the job.

what you should worry more about is how the guitar feels in your hands. either way SG or strat, you will be off to a good start.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
trashedlostfdupThank you sir..I kinda partial to the sg considering i lived in aus for about 11 years and angus young played one with that being said, hopefully the coil tap/split option can somewhat give me that sought after strat neck tone consindering the guitars are similar to each other in terms of shape and thickness.
Quote by julianlopez_85
trashedlostfdupThank you sir..I kinda partial to the sg considering i lived in aus for about 11 years and angus young played one with that being said, hopefully the coil tap/split option can somewhat give me that sought after strat neck tone consindering the guitars are similar to each other in terms of shape and thickness.

go for the SG then! you will be able to get the tones you are looking for.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by julianlopez_85

I think you'll find that the single coil modes on the SG will be far from what the strat produces. The shape and thickness of the guitars has almost nothing to do with the sound produced, but the arrangement of pickups and the scale will definitely have an effect. I don't own any Fender strats, but I do own a number of superstrat-style guitars, and no SGs (I like angus, too, but the SG has never appealed to me). You'll find that the two guitars play MUCH different from one another, that the SG is far more likely to be neck-heavy, that the coil tap function on the neck pickup will probably not produce what you hope it will. The SG will position the fretboard far to the left compared to the strat (when hanging in the strap). It's obvious that this will be so when you look at where the neck-position strap button is placed (usually behind the 20th fret on the back of the SG, as opposed to about the 12th fret on the upper horn on the strat).

Since you *are* a noob/beginner and asking these questions, I'd suggest that you not select your guitar based on hero worship and looks.
I'm assuming you can't actually play yet, so I'd suggest going to a store that has both the Squier and the SG and just holding them the way you would play for a while and see what's most comfortable. They're very different in feeling. Sound is important, of course, and I'd agree with trashed that the SG might be the better fit, but a Strat is very versatile as well.

If that Strat neck pickup tone is what you're after, an SG will not get you that tone. It'll probably sound nice as well, but it won't be the same. Vice versa, the Strat won't give you the tones an SG is famous for. You'll have to pick the one that's most important to you. No worries though, if you keep playing long enough, you'll probably end up with both anyway.
dspellmanhi thanks for the advice and i agree maybe i should look at a guitar from an ease of play perspective rather than style. As opposed to the two mentioned, what are your thoughts on the ltd? the reviews are great on that one and may lend itself more towards the classic rock end e.g guns n roses etc.
I K0nijn II know exactly what you mean. Well I'm a beginner but not unfamiliar. I know the basic chords and i'm trying learn more blues and lead style. I'm certain that most of you experienced players constantly go through the dilemma of trying to make the guitar sound a certain way but for me i'd probably keep this guitar a good while before even considering an upgrade. What are your thought on the ltd? It seems to be a legit option as it has great reviews.
I must add that my amp is one of the newer digital amps which i'm sure allows me to flash it so it can sound like other amps. I'm hoping it will give me better versatility as i go hunting for my perfect tone.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
there are so many things to factor into your tone, a strat with a bucker in the bridge will do the job.

yeah you really (in my opinion at least) want that bridge humbucker if you're playing heavier stuff. i'd be more worried about that than the tonal difference between the strat and the SG (assuming both had a bridge humbucker)- pick the one which plays better for you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd take the LTD, for the rockier stuff you want the HB bridge and while the coil tap won't get you strat tones exactly it will give you a lot of versatility in that guitar. Haven't owned that model but have played several and was very impressed by the feel of the guitar, very comfortable neck, and the ECs have slim bodies so they are not as heavey as some LP style guitar which I also like. I also love the LP shape, never been a big fan of the SG so I am a bit biased.

I would rank them 1. LTD 2. Squier 3. SG
julianlopez_85hi buddy.just thought I would chime in and offer you my input.have you thought about a modern player telecaster? I just got rid of one as I've upgraded but in my opinion it's one of the most versatile guitars out there.it gives you a humbucker in the bridge which is coil split and a strat pickup in the centre.theres a tele neck pickup too and all in all that will give you seven tones with the middle and bridge spilt. The neck is very fast aswell.i absolutely love that guitar and don't know why more people don't play them.
Dave_McYes i guess you'r right I will probably look at them in store in the next few weeks. I don't mind a strat shaped guitar it's just seems that it doesn't lend itself too much to playing classic rock but that's my opinion. Most classic rock bands like bon jovi and the like seem to have a heavier toned guitar but then again john frusciante is a whole diff beast. I will look at the gutiars in store and see which feels better. I personally like the sg because i think it's a great in between. Any other recoomendations?
Last edited by julianlopez_85 at Sep 21, 2016,
guitarsngearYou're the firs person to recommend the ltd. The reviews i read about the ec 256 are pretty amazing so i'm not going to single a particular guitar out atm. I feel really conflicted atm because every guitar has its' own qualities and tone so i'm going to have to find some time to play them all. The only complaint is that it is a damn heavy guitar but i guess the full LPs are as well. would you have any other recommendations?
amcqueen1 a good friend of mine said the same thing about a tele but after doing some research, I found that i didn't like that country twang it produced. But It does seem to be a legit option as most people have said that it is workhorse of a guitar. Maybe i will try one in store. is the modern player a full fender or a squier? i may not have the budget for a full fender atm.
i posted up ^^^

i don't think either the epi or the squier would would be a bad choice. they are different. yeah the strat may be a little more blues, and yes the epi's pickups split won't sound like a strat single coil.

here is what i would do. play both. see what you like better. either will suit a new player fine, yes different. get the one that makes you want to play it more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by julianlopez_85
Dave_McYes i guess you'r right I will probably look at them in store in the next few weeks. I don't mind a strat shaped guitar it's just seems that it doesn't lend itself too much to playing classic rock but that's my opinion. Most classic rock bands like bon jovi and the like seem to have a heavier toned guitar but then again john frusciante is a whole diff beast. I will look at the gutiars in store and see which feels better. I personally like the sg because i think it's a great in between. Any other recoomendations?

that's possibly true if you're talking about stock, SSS vintage-spec strats.

If you're talking strats with a humbucker in the bridge, or superstrats, then an absolute ton of heavier bands use them. Heck in the 1980s a superstrat was probably the guitar of choice for most hard rock and metal bands.

That's not to say if you prefer an SG that you shouldn't get an SG, of course. Either should work just fine.

(It also depends on what you mean by classic rock, I'd call Bon Jovi 80s and 90s rock, lol)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 22, 2016,
Quote by julianlopez_85
guitarsngearYou're the firs person to recommend the ltd. . The only complaint is that it is a damn heavy guitar

Not sure where you got this impression, I found them to be on the medium to light side, nothing I would come close to describing as "damn heavy"
Dave_McYeah you're absolutely spot on. I will try to get down to the store in the coming weeks to try them out but correct me if i'm worng i think the classic vive series only comes with a SSS configuration and only the vintage modified comes with a HSS. Maybe i should use the SSS and swap the bridge to maybe a single coil humbucker as [trashedlostfdup] mentioned. I guess classic rock to me is 80's while i did listen to the earlier english stuff like queen and the likes i absolutely love that late 70's and 80's music. I'm glas i checked in with you guys first would have gone to the store and possibly made a wrong decision not a bad one but you never know.
Dave_McDave let me ask you....does it matter if the neck has a humbucker or not? would it be a big deal? I'm only asking because a friend of mine said that it is easier to use a single coil and add a pedal alter on to thicken up the sound to mimick a humbucker. I've got no plans to use any sort of pedals atm so maybe later on but then he also said a humbucker with coil split/tap is worth looking at. Which brings me to a level of uncertainty i'm familiar with. Not because one is worse off than the other, it's just there are so many options to choose from.
Last edited by julianlopez_85 at Sep 23, 2016,
guitarsngearI may be wrong as I haven't demo'ed one in person but the impression i got from the reviews is that it's a heavy guitar but i quite like it as well seems to be an actual proper option. I just need to go in store and demo one to see how it plays.
ok so maybe a new dilemma has risen..most people are recommending to swap the stock pick-ups on the ltd ec 256....have any of you heard this? this would be a deal breaker cause i wouldn't want to spend too much initially...any thoughts or anyone who had this experience please weigh in...thanks
I would rather have a classic vibe with a JB jr. (in the bridge $60ish) over the LTD with stock pickups.

At the end of the day, buy what feels best to you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdupThank you sir will go in store in the coming weeks and will update you guys as to what i will do.
Quote by julianlopez_85
Dave_McYeah you're absolutely spot on. I will try to get down to the store in the coming weeks to try them out but correct me if i'm worng i think the classic vive series only comes with a SSS configuration and only the vintage modified comes with a HSS. Maybe i should use the SSS and swap the bridge to maybe a single coil humbucker as [trashedlostfdup] mentioned. I guess classic rock to me is 80's while i did listen to the earlier english stuff like queen and the likes i absolutely love that late 70's and 80's music. I'm glas i checked in with you guys first would have gone to the store and possibly made a wrong decision not a bad one but you never know.

Yeah definitely- there aren't really any "wrong" decisions but you can definitely end up with something which might not suit you as well as you'd like, which (in extreme cases) could even put you off enough to make you want to quit.

And no worries, you can call it whatever you like (the classic rock radio stations here are starting to play stuff like the foo fighters, and even more recent stuff )

Quote by julianlopez_85
Dave_McDave let me ask you....does it matter if the neck has a humbucker or not? would it be a big deal? I'm only asking because a friend of mine said that it is easier to use a single coil and add a pedal alter on to thicken up the sound to mimick a humbucker. I've got no plans to use any sort of pedals atm so maybe later on but then he also said a humbucker with coil split/tap is worth looking at. Which brings me to a level of uncertainty i'm familiar with. Not because one is worse off than the other, it's just there are so many options to choose from.

it's probably less critical to have the neck humbucker- the vast majority of harder rock rhythm tones are the bridge humbucker.

that's not to say a neck humbucker is pointless, a lot of players use them a lot (e.g. slash) for solos and the like, and they probably do help for more distorted solos. it just depends on which you need more, the neck single coil tone or the neck humbucker tone.

I'd be a bit iffy about trying to fatten up single coils... i've never really got to a point when trying that where i felt it was as good as a humbucker (if that was the tone i wanted).

problem is the same thing is true about the coil splits your friend mentioned- they're better than nothing (and you might as well have them, in my opinion) but most single coil fans would say they don't sound as good as a proper single coil.

it just depends on which tones you need more, there's always going to be a bit of compromise unfortunately.

There probably is something to what your friend is saying in that it probably is easier to add gain than to take it away, but at the same time it's still not (in my opinion) ideal- if I wanted a really versatile guitar I'd probably err on the side of slightly lower output pickups than I thought I needed, but at the same time if I were getting a guitar which I knew I was going to use either exclusively or mainly for the heavier stuff, I'd get the pickups which suited that since (again, in my opinion) that normally works better.

Quote by julianlopez_85
ok so maybe a new dilemma has risen..most people are recommending to swap the stock pick-ups on the ltd ec 256....have any of you heard this? this would be a deal breaker cause i wouldn't want to spend too much initially...any thoughts or anyone who had this experience please weigh in...thanks

I'd say on most cheaper guitars you'd really likely ideally need to swap the pickups. i wouldn't swap any pickups until i knew what was wrong with the tone (there may well be nothing wrong).

also the word on the net was that the classic vibe squiers had pickups made in the same factory as toneriders. if that's true, tonerider pickups have a good rep (though i haven't tried them).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 23, 2016,
julianlopez_85the modern player is a real fender,it's made in China but don't let that deter you,the classic vibe (squier) is made in China and those guitars are raved about (although I bought one but never bonded with it),the modern player is a step up and I sold mine for £200 so I think you could pick one up for around the same price.its somewhat quirky and doesnt go overboard on the twang.i would urge you to try one out for around 20 mins and test all the tones but all in all a super value ,rock solid instrument.
julianlopez_85I would start off by learning the minor pentatonic scale in all five positions and incorporate the flattened fifth and practice ascending and descending the scales,also,try to incorporate the major pentatonic aswell.a good vibrato and string bending are the two most important techniques initially as they are the techniques which give the best feel for blues.theres loads of good lessons on YouTube,also I would listen to as much blues as you can;Robert Johnson, Albert king,bbking,clapton,hendrix etc,try to learn licks by ear and by watching players as opposed to tablature as you will become a much more intuitive player.these are a couple of pointers but you can spend a lifetime learning blues and it's one hell (excuse the pun) of a journey.
amcqueen1 if he is a new player, a lot at stuff is going to be very far off. especially learning by ear.

There are a lot of good YouTube videos for a beginner. justinguitar is one i recommended to students. Steve stein is pretty good too.

The ones I tell people to instantly skip over are play____ this in ____ minutes or less.

learn basic theory first.

most importantly have fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdupyes I agree that learning by ear is a bit more advanced but it also very much depends on the rate an individual acquires new skills.i also agree that Justin sandercoe is very good,very thorough.i would advise people to stay away from the leaches that give snippets of info away just to sell a dvd as there is so much free instruction widely available on youtube.and the most important thing is to have a blast but to be persistent as mastery comes through repetition.
Quote by amcqueen1
trashedlostfdupyes I agree that learning by ear is a bit more advanced but it also very much depends on the rate an individual acquires new skills.i also agree that Justin sandercoe is very good,very thorough.i would advise people to stay away from the leaches that give snippets of info away just to sell a dvd as there is so much free instruction widely available on youtube.and the most important thing is to have a blast but to be persistent as mastery comes through repetition.

ear training is important but I would not recommend it for a while. basic stuff can be great like transposing of basic songs by ear (smoke on the water). and at that, I would advise to pick a random fret on the fretboard and figure out the rest of the melody. simple stuff is fine.

as far as the you tube stuff goes, yeah I don't recommend those 'leeches' either.

he is lucky to be learning how to play with videos readily available. that didn't exist when I started.

OP- just have fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdupyou're absolutely right,theres never been a better time to learn the guitar and anyone that is a beginner should dive in to the blues asap as it's by far the best vehicle as a learning tool as it's the basis of most modern music imo.
Hi guys i just wanted to update you guys on the situation, I finally bought a guitar today(yaay)....i ended up getting a epiphone sg g400 pro. Now i know a lot of you recommended the fender/squier but after spending the last 3 days or so visiting stores, I deduced that the squier cv series is aboslutely expensive here in malaysia. A big retail chain was selling them for about rm2300 which i think is about 550USD. At that price i felt it was daylight robbery for that guitar especially since i most likely wanted to swap the bridge pickup to a humbucker. So after much research, I found a smaller store(which turned out to be a gem) that carried most (2/3) of the guitars mentioned in the poll. I went in fairly early today around 1030am and they guy was so helpful. He demo'ed all 3 guitars for me. As i mentioned that i do not know how to play much( at this point i'm waiting for him to sell me the squier since it was the most expensive of the 3) oh btw they didn't carry the ltd ec 256 so it was a 3 way epiphone sg g400 pro, epiphone les paul standard and the squier cv, but instead he asked me what i wanted to play and when i mentioned the classic rock he instantly said maybe you should decide between the two epiphones. Since i don't know much apart from the 5 or so chords, he played through both the guitars( which was through a blackstar ht5 with a blackstar cab) and it sounded primo. I was stunned. He played through all the pickups and coil taps and he actually recommended me to get the sg which i was a little surprised because it was the cheapest of the 3 thought the les paul standard was about RM200 more. He said that the sg offers better versatility and he said that it sounds less bassier that the les paul but he said it was up to me. I tried the 2 guitars myself playing the few chords that i knew and i felt the sg neck comfortable as opposed to the les paul. Again take nothing away from the les paul this is a personal opinion from my experience of handling the guitars. At this point he gave me 10 mins to myself with the guitars to have a play around. I felt the sg the better fit because of the coil tap and he said the the les paul had a similar option but it would have to be the lespaul standard plus which cost about rm500 more than the sg. So i finally decided on the sg at rm1500(364USD) which came with a guitar bag and some picks. I bought a cable and a stand. I couldn't be happier at this point. All in all i hope the decision will be a positive one and i can hopefully be a decent player in the coming months. I was impressed with the service i received and i was expecting the guy to sell me the world since i'm a newbie. After i bought the guitar i mentioned to him that i was waiting for uber to come pick me up and he offered me to sit and wait in store and while i was waiting he mentioned the whole history of how the store started. They were initially a online retailer but since their prices were very reasonable, they received a lot of request to open a store. I'm happy that i found this place as I truly believe this guy was trying to help me. Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me too, really means a lot.
Last edited by julianlopez_85 at Sep 25, 2016,
^ sounds perfectly sensible and reasonable to me, you should absolutely buy the one you like best after trying them. fwiw i don't think anyone was saying there was anything wrong with the SG, it's not like it's a bad choice (especially with the coil splits for some more versatility).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Congratulations!

you made the right move, you got the one you liked best.

post up a NGD (new guitar day) thread up with some pictures.

Have fun! and stick around, you will learn a lot.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Page 1 of 2