Recently, I've been seeing a lot of guitar players on youtube play a song, and somewhere in the middle of it, they quickly use their picking hand to hit a note on the fretboard, then quickly go back to normal playing.

Just wondering what that's called and how can I do it properly?
When I try to do it, it feels kind of difficult to do. Is there a special way of doing that?

thank you
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Thanks Roc, sorry for posting in the wrong sub-forum

@Kabadi.man, I looked it up, I found normal tapping, but I'm looking for how to do those quick pick a few notes, quickly reach and tap a note, then back to picking sort of technique, I don't know if its the same thing or not. I figured out how to do normal tapping, but trying to figure out that other technique is kind of difficult :/
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
@Kabadi.man, I looked it up, I found normal tapping, but I'm looking for how to do those quick pick a few notes, quickly reach and tap a note, then back to picking sort of technique, I don't know if its the same thing or not. I figured out how to do normal tapping, but trying to figure out that other technique is kind of difficult :/
It's the same technique in that essentially you're doing the same thing. The difference is you need to develop your right hand movements much more to get those relatively big movements to be quick and accurate and return your right hand to a picking position in time to continue that. There's no big secret or fundamental change there, though, it's just taking the same thing and developing it further.

Be aware that it's generally done in the middle of legato runs, so you generally have a couple notes' duration in which to move your hand.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 21, 2016,
You may be talking about tapping the octave harmonic. If you play a note and hold it, you can count 12 frets up and tap the octave harmonic and let it ring out. It's also an Eddie Van Halen thing. It's different from just regular hammer-on-pull-off tapping.
Last edited by Sayonara6String at Sep 28, 2016,
Quote by Sayonara6String
It's also an Eddie Van Halen thing.

Yep and even better if you use vibrato with that finger!