Poll: Take the job and move?
Poll Options
View poll results: Take the job and move?
Yes
20 69%
No
2 7%
u do u
7 24%
Voters: 29.
Page 1 of 3
Sup

Basically I have a possible job offer that would require me to move about 90 miles away from where I currently am and I don't know whether to take it. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS:

- The job itself. It's over double my current annual salary and I'd get to keep my retirement plan, insurance, and everything that I already have with my current job (state employee).
- The campus I'd be working at is absolutely gorgeous and in an extremely wealthy area just outside of Denver.
-My gf lives about 100 mi away and I only see her on weekends. We've been together for just over a year and have talked about moving in together at some point. This relocation would put me about 10 miles from her instead of 100.
-I've wanted a change of scenery for a while. I've been living in my current city since 1996 and while I love it here, moving somewhere new might be an exciting opportunity

CONS:
-I'd be leaving behind all my family and friends to move to somewhere where I only know my gf and her family.
-I'd probably have to quit my band. It's just me and another guy, but working on music with him is a super highlight of my week and it's a very creatively fulfilling process. Plus, he's my drinking buddy and I'd rarely ever get to hang out with him if I moved
-If things don't work out with gf I'm now stuck far from home with only my money to keep me company
-I like my current job and get along with all the people I work with pretty well. We're kinda like a family and going to a new job where I don't know anyone is pretty daunting to say the least

wat wood u do
Check out my band Disturbed
That doesn't even sound like a hard choice. You can make new friends anywhere.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Seems like a no-brainer to me. Get to gettin'.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
This is, like, every pro and con list for every person who is offered a job in a new place. You know you can make friends after you move, right?
Free Ali
Guys I know this is hard to believe, but I don't make friends easily.

I got like 2 people that I hang out with regularly and I'm super, super close to both of them.
With that pay bump you can buy new friends, better friends. (Props to Sgt. Bilko)
Charles Darwin
Quote by StewieSwan

I got like 2 people that I hang out with regularly and I'm super, super close to both of them.

Dunno what your friends are like but I wouldn't let it outweigh all the pros.

Being stuck in one place all the time is boring, I'd love a change in scenery.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I don't know where you live now, but compared to where I live, I wished I still lived there. The only thing keeping me from moving back is my parents getting older and I wanna be around to help them. I actually had an easier time making friends there then I do where I'm at now....don't know why.
Quote by seanlang01
Is it in Aurora? Place smells like cow shit.

Westminster
Quote by ErikLensherr
You can make new friends anywhere.
you clearly don't know stewie

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
90 miles? lmao
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by StewieSwan

Might actually be a reason to move, since if that's true you need to step out of that bubble and learn to socialize better.
Charles Darwin
how far would you be from Denver?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I would move if I were you. I don't have any close friends where I live right now and I'm literally on the opposite side of the world from all my closest friends and family. It would be nice if they were with me but I don't feel lonely or anything.

Granted I'm used to moving/having friends move away but still, I don't think it is that bad. Especially not now that Skype/Facebook etc exists. You're even gonna be in the same country. Plus if you make more money, you can use some of that money to travel and see people you miss.
cat
You actually didn't say a thing about the job itself. Surely what new things you will be doing is factoring into your thinking?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by StewieSwan

wat wood u do

IF YOUR SON WAS AT HOME
My God, it's full of stars!
Do it.

Making changes in your life is uncomfortable, but it's incredibly rewarding. Do you really want to be the guy who lives in one place his whole life or do you want to have a variety of experiences and meet new people and go to new places? Step outside your comfort zone, stop thinking about what ifs and just fucking do it.
just do it don't be a whiny bitch
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Carnivean
You actually didn't say a thing about the job itself. Surely what new things you will be doing is factoring into your thinking?

Basically the same job I do now but at a higher level with more staff
Quote by Xiaoxi
how far would you be from Denver?

25-25 minutes from downtown Denver

Quote by Arby911
Might actually be a reason to move, since if that's true you need to step out of that bubble and learn to socialize better.

I don't like socializing. I have to socialize all day at my job.
Double the salary is huge, you can make huge advancements in life doubling your income. I moved last year about 70 miles away from my best buddy/drinking buddy and I religiously drive out there to see him and his fam every second Saturday, the other every second Saturday I jam with my buddies who live in the same neighborhood. Also I drive to their cottage almost every weekend in the summer and its like 200 miles... 90 really isn't much ground.

tl;dr DO IT!! Its not that far and the money is worth it. Id move across the country to double my income.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Last edited by SFosterS at Sep 20, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan
25-25 minutes from downtown Denver
I'm inevitably gonna be in Denver occasionally at the other HQ.

We gettin crunk?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well if you don't move I honestly don't know how you can move forward with your relationship with your gf at this point. I mean long distance can only work for so long
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm inevitably gonna be in Denver occasionally at the other HQ.

We gettin crunk?

Shiet. There's this Japanese restaurant in Denver that's dank af. They'll straight up ask you to leave if you ask for teriyaki sauce.
Yeah, don't think people will tell you to stay. If you want, think of it as temporary. You are not going to Denver for all your life and will never see your family or friends again. If you want create a reminder at 6 months or 1 year to determine if you get back, stay there or go somewhere else. That way moving there might be easier, since you know that at worst in 6/12 months you would return. The most likely thing that will happen is that you'll like it there and want to stay, or may want to go somewhere else (and have more experiences, etc), but it might be a good "trick" to get you to go
Also yeah, 90 miles is an hour and a half trip. You can do that every other weekend no problem.
I'm in sort of the same boat. Just finished school and there are no jobs in my field around me. I have to move at least 2 hours+ away to get a job. I'm struggling with it since I'd have to move away from my GF who just started school (I've also been living with for 5 years). In the end I think I'll start looking because your career is pretty damn important. It will be worth the aggravation I think. I wouldn't break up with my GF which makes things hard as driving for visiting would suck, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Good friends are hard to come by, but sometimes you just have to make that sacrifice to better your future, man.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Sep 20, 2016,
Quote by TheChaz
Also yeah, 90 miles is an hour and a half trip. You can do that every other weekend no problem.

It's through denver. More like a 2-3 hour trip, my friend. I make it pretty much every week and it SUCKS
Quote by Dreadnought
IF YOUR SON WAS AT HOME

CRYIN' ALL ALONE ON THE BEDROOM FLOOR
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by StewieSwan

not only do i believe it but in fact i don't even believe that you have friends now
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 20, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan
It's through denver. More like a 2-3 hour trip, my friend. I make it pretty much every week and it SUCKS

2-3 hours away is still relatively close. It's not like you're moving to the other side of the world. If there is an emergency or you really need to travel back home for some reason, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Quote by theogonia777
not only do i believe it but in fact i don't even believe that you have friends now

if i had 0 friends it'd still be like 14 more friends than you have
Yeah seriously do it. Be closer to gf, she can bring you into her social circle and you can make friends that way. Really not all that far if you feel like visiting home too, plus double money would allow you to really plan for where you wanna be. Doesn't even seem like a decision to me.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Page 1 of 3