Page 1 of 4

Stop Taking Pride In Not Knowing How To Do Basic Shit
http://thefinancialdiet.com/stop-taking-pride-not-knowing-basic-shit/

I don’t know how to do a lot of basic shit. I can only barely use a cordless power drill, and most baked goods I attempt come out with a texture somewhere between sand and the compressed wood chip material inside an IKEA end table. I still struggle with understanding a lot of financial concepts, and the minor repairs I’ve made on tears in my clothing end up looking like an offensive hobo Halloween costume. I’ve literally missed out on packages I was excited about being delivered because I was too lazy to go to the post office in another borough. I’m bad at a lot of stuff, and a lot of basic elements of being a ~functional adult~ still escape me, and I know that.

But the key here is that I’m ashamed of those things, because that should be the baseline human response for not mastering ultra-basic tasks out of a mixture of laziness, fear, and procrastination. I don’t think it’s Carrie Bradshaw-chic when I order takeout several nights in a row, I think it’s an embarrassing waste of money. I don’t think that it’s just me being my quirky ol’ millennial self when I neglect to make doctor’s appointments for years on end, I think it’s dangerous and stupid. It’s not “adulting” to be able to create and stick to a budget or change a smoke detector battery, it’s “what people do because we all have to live life and exist in the world as something other than really tall toddlers.”

And I get that no one is going to be great at everything right away, or that many of us may not have grown up learning these skills, but goddamn. It should not be a source of Zooey Deschanel-esque pride to be wobbling through life with an oversized lollipop in one hand and an iPhone in the other, unsure of how to open a checking account. Taking pride in not knowing how to do basic shit, or feeling like “owning” your chaotic, inefficient, money-wasting habits excuses them, is why out-of-touch Olds writing condescending articles about millennials occasionally have a point. We may have come of age in a decimated economy, but that doesn’t mean we should suddenly feel like it’s chic to still be struggling with basic life skills at 30.

We don’t need to be perfect, but we need to stop thinking that being a mess is quirky or cute, because it is not. We should strive to be the person that other people say “Damn, they have their shit together” about, because that is one of the highest compliments we can be paid. And as long as it is within our mental and physical capacities to be doing these things, we have no excuse other than our own laziness, really, and that’s something we should definitely not be taking pride in. “Being an adult” isn’t some really prestigious title we have to be intimidated about, it’s literally what we all are, whether we like it or not. The question is whether you are a cool, collected adult whose life is not constantly on fire, or whether you’re a Carrie Bradshaw, who literally had to go visit her ex-boyfriend at work to ask for money to not be evicted because she bought too many statement accessories.

Has our generation become too content with not knowing how to do easy shit?

Do you think you "have your shit together"?

Name basic shit you can't do. I can't:

-change the oil in my car
-change a tire
-sew a button (very well)
-fix pretty much anything
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Sep 20, 2016,
Quote by bradulator

Stop Taking Pride In Not Knowing How To Do Basic Shit

Has our generation become too content with not knowing how to do easy shit?

Do you think you "have your shit together"?

Name basic shit you can't do. I can't:

-change a tire
-sew a button (very well)
-fix pretty much anything

i share 3 out of 4 of those with you but i can change a tire, only because i was driving dumb and i had to
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I can't do any kind of DIY handy work. I'll hire someone to build anything that requires a drill.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I can't cook meals. Eggs, spam and the like I don't count.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I can't cook food
I can't buy clothes
I can't conversate
I can't not use made up words like conversate
Quote by bradulator
-change a tire
I know how to do that and maybe change my break pads but I'd rather have someone else do it. It's how other people make their living, after all, so if we all just stopped and decided to live by that example, it would just backfire on people like them. I don't think that was well considered when writing out this article.

But OT: I know people tend to not care about doing something, but is anyone ever really proud of not knowing how to do something? I feel like the person who wrote this article is just desperate to live up to their idea of "adulting" and trying to be inspiring by doing so. Like wow good for you, but I don't actually care.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by TheChaz
I can't relate to any of this.

"I can't leave the house without going to the beach."
"I can't leave the house without breaking a few bones."
Free Ali
Free Lard
Yeah that's a great attitude to take. Not shame but the understanding that it is not cute or quirky. You got Tumblr to thank for that.
Quote by chrismendiola
"I can't leave the house without going to the beach."
"I can't leave the house without breaking a few bones."

whoa I haven't been to the beach in 10 days bud and I've only broken 2 bones in the last 5 years.

that being said.

yeah
I have no fucking idea how to pay bills or any finacial fuckery. It's not necessary atm thank god, but I've been thinking about taking a class or something.

Wtf is insurance.

I can cook and clean like a mofo tho.

No repair skills. I just made a lap steel out of a 2x4 though. It was mostly grandpas' know how, but I'm alright with tools.
I reckon its not so bad in this day and age cause of the internet. You can do a lot of things yourself just by googling a bit b4hand. What is bad is being too shy, or lazy to attempt them yourself.
Any kind of financial stuff tho and im totally out of my depth.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
People who post "i can't adult today" memes

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I was never potty trained. To this day I still wear diapers.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by TheChaz
I can't relate to any of this.

Yea, I don't really relate to any of this either. prepare for a little bragging I've done shit like change water pumps, radiators, belts, pulleys, fuel filters, spark plugs, etc. on cars. Anytime anyone has trouble with some electrical device I'm the one they ask to solder a wire back together or open it up and figure out what the problem is. Pretty good with woodworking. Basically any DIY handy work, as well as cooking, starting a fire from basically nothing, and being the IT guy for all my friends and family. If I don't know how to do something I google it and learn how.

I get it from my dad really. Growing up he was always fixing everything himself and I'd help him and learn. It had to be something pretty big for him to take a car into a shop or in general pay someone else to fix something for him. Usually things that required big expensive equipment that he didn't have, or with things that were way outside anything he'd messed with before. He's useless with computers, but I just took that same approach with them.

I guess I don't really know about financial stuff. I still haven't had to deal with bills or anything, so I have no experience with that, but I'm willing to bet I'll catch on pretty quick.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Sep 20, 2016,
I struggle to do many basic things. some are just cause i haven't been forced to learn yet (car stuff fot example cause i dont drive) but there are some i try repeatedly to do and am very bad at. for me this is a huge source of self loathing anf i dont know why people think they are cute when they cant do things.
Quote by seventh_angel
Stay afloat, without swimming that is.

Oh yeah this is another thing I really hate about myself.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I've always been embarrassed that with all my musical ability I never figured out how to whistle.
PM me for newts
Yeah I'm shit at car stuff but my FiL is a mechanic so it's no biggie.

How people don't know how to pay bills is beyond me though. Get paid monthly, direct debit on payday. Easy. I don't think a strict budget is necessary either, you just have to know when you're taking the piss.

Oh I also don't know how to complain about bad customer service or when a mistake from someone else has mildly inconvenienced me. But idgaf.

Edit: I think all this is a symptom of the state the world is in at the moment though. More and more people going to uni and treating that as a sort of limbo between childhood and adulthood, more and more people staying at home well into their 20s, social media making nostalgia more accessible leaving 20-somethings in a more juvenile state of mind which can be dangerous without self-awareness. In hindsight I'm sort of glad my dad forced me to move out when I was 21, it forced me to make that final jump into adulthood and if I hadn't I'd still be stuck in my bedroom all day listening to bad music and playing Xbox. Now i do that stuff in my living room and it's great.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Sep 21, 2016,
I pride myself on my handymanship so there's a lot of things I can do

Sewing a button is a good one, though. Never done that.

The only thing I'm really pretty bad at is maintaining romantic relationships
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Tie a knot that isn't like how you tie shoe laces. Its probably not that basic but I can't do it.
tbh it's harder to list things i can do.

some big ones for me:

-I am awful at tying things. even shoelaces took me way longer than it should have. I couldn't really do it at all until i was seven or so and i couldn't figure out how to do it the real way until middle school. I'm still slow at it and up until i left my parents frequently brought it up to prove i'm stupid and would tell people i don't know how to tie them at all. in high school chemistry it always took multiple attempts to tie my apron and i'd try to do it in a spot where nobody could see me.

-at my current job i have a lot of trouble folding pizza boxes. I am capable of doing it but i have to concentrate and i'm too slow so usually they end up like 'ugh fuck you give it to me'.

honestly it is shit like this that makes me really hate myself because it proves that i am fundamentally unintelligent. in order to get through my workday i have to ask a lot of stupid questions and rely too much on other people. people do not think highly of me at all and i fear my lack of intelligence means that i will never be loved by anyone.

#cockatoopost

I can't bake (haven't tried yet).

Quote by Duaneclapdrix

Wtf is insurance.

It's that you give an insurance company money regularly (like a bill) with the understanding that if something happens (you get expensive health treatment, your stuff gets damaged, you die) they'll pay some or all of your expenses if they meet some conditions they have.

It's actually a pretty good deal considering America's astronomical health bills.
I never learned to cook. My mom's the kind of person who shows she cares by making food for you, so the most I ever made as a kid was a sandwich, or helping her with a cake.

It pisses me off and I want to learn but the kitchen is a mess and I eat most of my meals either in the car, at my desk, or on the train, so I don't exactly have a ton of time or a ton of use for it right now.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
What is lucky about our generation is that we have the internet. There's a lot of shit I can't do (or have learned but have forgotten) but a refresher or crash course is only a Google away.

I might not be able to change my car tyre or rewire a plug but I can google a solution to that easily.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by necrosis1193
I never learned to cook. My mom's the kind of person who shows she cares by making food for you, so the most I ever made as a kid was a sandwich, or helping her with a cake.

It pisses me off and I want to learn but the kitchen is a mess and I eat most of my meals either in the car, at my desk, or on the train, so I don't exactly have a ton of time or a ton of use for it right now.

... ;|

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
After reading everyone's things here, I feel like a well rounded individual...

I can do basic car maintenance, cook, sew, knit, do a lot of home DIY stuff amongst other things.

I guess, I really suck at properly keeping track of my finances, like doing my taxes and shit, because numbers.

EDIT: Or getting laid #sitargril
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
i'm shit at life but i can do a lot of practical things, if you don't know how to do something just google it
This thread makes me feel good about myself.

There's not really any basic stuff I can't do that I can think of.

Go me. Or something.

Edit:
I lied. I cannot tie a tie.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 21, 2016,
Start a thread.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Page 1 of 4