Hey there! I just recently got a 7 string. All of the other strings have zero fret buzz but my lowest string (Tuned to A, .60 gauge) rattles a lot when I'm using the fretboard a lot. The action is well set up as nothing else is buzzing, just this particular string. Could it be that my string is too thick for what I'm using it for?
Thanks!
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Most people here it seems would say 60 is a good gauge for that tuning. Me personally, I think that's too big. I use a 56 on one guitar and a 58 on the other, and the 58 buzzes more. If possible, you might try raising that one string up just a tad and see how that goes. Also, when I first got my 7 string it took me a while to figure out how to pick that low string where it didn't go sharp but I still had the attack I wanted. You might just be hitting that string too hard and that's causing it. I think it takes more finesse than one might expect.

FWIW this is why Misha Mansoor uses thin picks, so the low notes don't go sharp when he picks harder.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
what scale length?

I have a 0.068 tuned to A on a 25.5" and its just enough tension.

The floppier the string, the more likely you'll get fret buzz. A 0.060 sounds really loose to me.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 21, 2016,
What guitar? And as asked, what scale length? My 7 is a 26.5 scale length and I have a 64 on my low string. Its perfect in A and decently handles G with a little buzz that the amp won't pick up.

Does it buzz through the amp? If not, then don't worry!
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 22, 2016,
Quote by Ignite
what scale length?

Quote by Liaztraht
What guitar?

I believe it's 25.5". It's an Ibanez Iron Label. It plays exactly as it should when it's tuned to B, but it begins to get a little rattle-y when I tune to A. It doesn't sound through the amp though which is good (I actually like the clicky sound that the buzz makes when I'm playing through a quiet amp). I was just wondering if it's fine or not because if it was that bad I'd probably be at a guitar shop right now
Guitars:
adexder Sounds like it's fine then. Might need to bump up a gauge or two of you want to eliminate the buzz.

What gauge strings do you play for your full set?

I find La Bella HRS 71 to be wonderful. They are like a hybrid 9/10 set with a 64 on the low end. I like more tension from heavier strings, but my longer scale allows me to use the 9s and have them feel tighter. Should feel normal on your guitar and tighten up that low string at the same time. Its not too heavy for B either.
Liaztraht
I just recently got my 7 and I needed new strings ASAP so I hastily chose my current favourite band Korn's gauge selections. I picked up a pack of Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy bottoms for my top 6 and a Daddario .60 for my bottom. May not be the best gauges for A but I chose what I thought sounded nice on a record because I knew nothing about 7 strings before.
Guitars:
The heavy bottoms are great for standard IMO. I rock those on my 6 stringers for standard.

Since a 7 is like standard with a low B/A, you can always get different gauge single next string change.

Or you can always snag a few singles, say a 62 64 68 and 70, and work your way up.

As is, you should be fine if you are comfortable with your current strings.