Hi Everyone!

I am currently semi-obsessed with The Brothers Osborne song 'Love the Lonely Out of You' - I am actually working on transcribing it (my first ever!).

However, there is one technique the lead guitarist uses that I cannot figure out, and am not sure that I have heard it before, either. If you listen to the iTunes version of the song, from their eponymous EP, the technique is at 2:04-2:06 - I am baffled as to how he does this lol

If anyone could contribute, and either tell me what it is called so I can look it up myself, or actually explain to me how it is done, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
I just listened to it - it's a classic Hendrix style lick - here is a quick you tube lesson that shows the basic idea ( look at the parts when he does a hammer on/pull off while holding the chord or double stop:

In "Love the Lonely Out of You" he's basically doing the lick repeatedly going down. Check out Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix or Lenny by SRV for some great examples of that style of lick used in context. SRV's version of Little Wing has a bunch of it in the intro as well. Castles Made of Sand intro ( Hendrix) is worth looking into as well.
Last edited by reverb66 at Sep 22, 2016,
Thanks so much Reverb! I will definitely try it when I get home - I think I understand what he was doing now. I knew he was going down the neck, but I just couldn't figure out how he was making the hammer-on/Pull-off sound...sounded like 3 distinct notes to me, so hadn't thought about hammer-on/Pull-off . Now I think he may be sliding down to make that 3rd note...guess I will find out tonight! Thanks again!
He's probably starting the lick on the upper strings and going lower and lower in the same position. Starting on the high E and B strings then doing the similar thing on the B and G strings and so on. You need to vary the pattern slightly depending on the strings your hitting