Whether it's straight up ambient soundscapes or the ambience of a crowd of voices or the gentle sounds of nature, do you ever use these sounds as productive tools?

Or is any sound/noise too distracting/counter-productive for you?

For instance, I'm really digging this combination of coffee shop + rain: http://rainycafe.com/
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Hmm... It depends on the music really, if I'm trying to focus on something obviously I don't want a Shostakovich symphony ringing in my ear, or any music with extreme use of percussion or amplified instruments for that matter. I tend to listen to a more tranquil and repetitive sort of sound, not too repetitive but leaning towards ppredictability. When I listen to music I like to sit down and truly listen for all the different instruments and techniques, I can't do this when concentrating. (Hope my mad man's ramblings make sense!)
"He's A Nigerian Prince And He Wants Your Money"
I have a Chrome extension called Noisli that lets you combine a bunch of sounds. I'll use StayFocusd to block out my internet use for a specified period and then Noisli for whatever relaxing combos I feel like (usually thunderstorms).

I think Noisli has exactly those two looping samples too (plus a bunch more like white noise, crackling fire, rustling leaves, etc). I absolutely use these every time I do anything that requires long bouts of concentration. I even reuse combos for the same idea to keep my memory fresh.

EDIT: I can't do music, though. Not just distracting while you're working, but also cuz eventually you'll reach a song on an album that you don't want to hear at that time.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Sep 21, 2016,
It entirely depends on what I'm doing

A menial or manual repetitive task, music will help me concentrate.

Something more intellectual I require silence or a low level ambient noise.
I like to have music on in the background so that I can zone out and not actually get anything productive done

I find silence strangely distracting so some kind of ambience in the background is good
I have nothing important to say
For studying I either use HNW or I try to make somewhere as silent as possible
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
If I'm mowing the lawn, I usually listen to fast, heavy music.

If I'm studying, I listen to stuff like My Sleeping Karma.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I have a Chrome extension called Noisli that lets you combine a bunch of sounds. I'll use StayFocusd to block out my internet use for a specified period and then Noisli for whatever relaxing combos I feel like (usually thunderstorms).

I think Noisli has exactly those two looping samples too (plus a bunch more like white noise, crackling fire, rustling leaves, etc). I absolutely use these every time I do anything that requires long bouts of concentration. I even reuse combos for the same idea to keep my memory fresh.

EDIT: I can't do music, though. Not just distracting while you're working, but also cuz eventually you'll reach a song on an album that you don't want to hear at that time.

Oh wow I need to check this shit out.
Quote by ErikLensherr

ye so noisli is perfect, why didn't you tell me about this sonner u sonovabish
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by JackSaints
I like to have music on in the background so that I can zone out and not actually get anything productive done

I find silence strangely distracting so some kind of ambience in the background is good

yeah

like when reading or during the two times a year i fool myself into thinking i can pick studying Japanese back up i'll listen to instrumental stuff like jazz or post-rock or smth, but when doing anything else i'll just listen to whatever

i finally signed up for (the free version of) spotify the other day and discovered their nice little premade playlists
Quote by steve_muse
ye so noisli is perfect, why didn't you tell me about this sonner u sonovabish

Why didn't you make this thread sooner you bastard