Hi people of the Internet. I've pretty much only ever used solid state amps but I'm thinking of purchasing a superchamp X2.i already have a mustang 4 so I was wondering if it was worth getting a superchamp as it has got the clean channel using the valves as well as the modelling options.any advice would be welcome.
Last edited by amcqueen1 at Sep 21, 2016,
Looking at the Superchamp specs there's something gimmicky happening in the preamp section, so it looks like a solid state modeling with some preamp warming and tube power amp section.

Personally, based on their description I'd just rather get an all tube amp or maybe go for the H&K Grandmeister that does this more convincingly.

What is your budget, around $400? Maybe a second hand tube amp will take care of your needs, something like a Marshall DSL40C, Traynor YCV50B, Peavey Valveking, etc...
diabolicalthanks man.my budget would be around the £300-400 mark.i really just want a tube amp to be be honest because I already have a modelling amp,I was just wondering if the superchamp was a good option as a standalone tube amp as it's only £336 new,a dsl40 would be a good shout or ideally a blues junior/deluxe if I can be patient enough for a 2nd hand one to show it's face,it's just that I've upgraded to a a cracking baja tele and a les paul so im looking for something that really does them justice.i play blues/rock.
I gotta say, the SuperChamp has legit guitar tone for vintage 60s-70s blues/rock. I have looked at the preamp section too but ears don't lie. It's got some juice for a small cheap amp. I own 5 amps including Mesa and 64 Blackface Super Reverb and the Super Champ does stand up in the crowd. Clean channel sounds like a Fender Princeton Blackface and voice channel sounds like Tweed Deluxe/AC30/JTM45 depending on your settings. Go play through one and see what you think. It won't replace my $1000 Mesa but it's damn good for $200 used. I actually like it better than a Blues Jr. because of the useful voices and effects. A Blues Jr. with pedals is another winner in the small amp arena.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Definitely try the X2 because I found it to be very impressive when I tried one. ***Fantastic*** cleans as you would expect, and lots of nice light overdrive tones to choose from. Most of them sounded good to me. Shit, it even had a very decent metal tone.

It may not be all-tube but it sounded great. It depends if you want that versatility or not. Most tube amps, while sounding very sweet, do not have that variety in tones -- they tend to do what they do, but do a great job at it.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
i always liked the superchamps. i don't really think they caught on for some reason though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i always liked the superchamps. i don't really think they caught on for some reason though.

Actually they kinda have a cult following. Check out the Tele forum. Those guys are SCX2 maniacs. It's a small cheap amp just barely enough for pub gigs but people go crazy with them. Adding a Ragin Cajun speaker (good upgrade), putting them in a larger combo cab and running a V30, or just getting the head and feeding a 4x12 cab. Make no mistake, it is still a small cheap amp not in the same class as a Mesa Dual Rec, JCM2000, or Splawn but for what it is... pretty damn good. I take mine to open mics and blues jams all the time and it sounds legit.

Here is one on "The" stage in Nashville.
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/answer-to-is-a-super-champ-xd-or-x2-big-enough.667189/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 22, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Actually they kinda have a cult following. Check out the Tele forum. Those guys are SCX2 maniacs. It's a small cheap amp just barely enough for pub gigs but people go crazy with them. Adding a Ragin Cajun speaker (good upgrade), putting them in a larger combo cab and running a V30, or just getting the head and feeding a 4x12 cab. Make no mistake, it is still a small cheap amp not in the same class as a Mesa Dual Rec, JCM2000, or Splawn but for what it is... pretty damn good. I take mine to open mics and blues jams all the time and it sounds legit.

they definitely have a cult following there, i hop over there once in a while.

they are pretty good really, i imagine a speaker swap would make a huge difference.

i drag around a vintage ampeg 1x12" hybrid combo to open mics. takes pedals well, good cleans. it has survived a lot. bought it for $40 a decade ago. i am glad i still have it. it also has a V30.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I have a Super Champ X2 for playing at home and playing at church. It works out perfectly for both. Very versatile. I upgraded from a Vox Valvetronix and it was a noticeable upgrade. I'd imagine you'd notice the same thing upgrading from a Mustang. Plus, you can still use the Fuse software.
A former guitarist at our church had a SCX2 and it was a really good fit in that application. We don't have a bunch of room for gear and pedals, so a foot-switchable amp with lots of built-in amp models was especially useful. Also, it has a line out jack, so it was easy to hook into the church PA system for balancing between guitar, bass, (electronic) drums and vocals. I played through it a few times when I subbed for him and I thought it sounded pretty good. I never really got to play with all the settings and put it through its paces, though.
Thanks for all the input guy's.i was so nearly getting a blues junior but ended up just getting a hotrod deluxe,what swayed it really is that i hope to one day use it in a live setting such has been my progress but thats another discussion,plus,I've never seen a bad review and from what I've seen and heard,the amp is somewhat of a standard bearer.happy with the purchase.what does everyone think about the hotrod deluxe or is this an old topic ? (I'm kinda new to forums ha)
By the way,can anybody suggest a good way to set the hotrod deluxe up for good blues tones with a bit of grit ?
Quote by amcqueen1
Thanks for all the input guy's.i was so nearly getting a blues junior but ended up just getting a hotrod deluxe,what swayed it really is that i hope to one day use it in a live setting such has been my progress but thats another discussion,plus,I've never seen a bad review and from what I've seen and heard,the amp is somewhat of a standard bearer.happy with the purchase.what does everyone think about the hotrod deluxe or is this an old topic ? (I'm kinda new to forums ha)

I want to be buried with my Hot Rod Deluxe. I have never played through any amp that sounded better to these ears. If there's any chance to bring an amp to the afterworld, I want it to be my HRD. :-) You made an outstanding choice, IMHO.

One nice trick is to swap the 12AX7 in the V1 position for a 12AT7. This cuts the first-stage gain by about two-fold and makes the amp a lot easier to use in a bedroom setting. It's a 30 second job to swap back for gigs.
for OD on it i would recommend an overdrive pedal out front.

also the 12AT7 is 70% gain than a 12AX7, but it could be worthwhile, keeping in mind that I have not personally done it on an HRD. I do use 12AT7's regularly in some amos.

I would recommend looking into swapping the speaker at some time in the future.

HNAD! you have got yourself a nice setup!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
amcqueen1

I gigged with a HRD for 5 years and she is a sweetie. Use a TS9, Bad Monkey, or OCD pedal in front for your grit and you will be very pleased. I never liked the onboard OD channel on that amp but the clean channel with OD pedal is bliss.