MISERY's OMEN

STARGAZER

SACRYPHYX

Bass lines that make onions cry, Old school done in the new way, emphasis on riffs and song writing, incredibly talented and clever musicality...

What's not to like?

Some shared members between the three. All releasing quality content since roughly 2000 or so and they take their damn time, which is a damn good thing when we take the quality into account. Grapevine saying that all three have music towards the end of completion and are close to recording process. You should anticipate them with moistness.

MISERY'S OMEN released Hope Dies in 2008, their first full length. Previously they had a wicked split with CAULDRON BLACK RAM, a demo by the name of To Worship Stoned Gods (a great description for their music!) and a killer compilation. I would describe their sound as kraven worship with a dash of moodiness. Their is a certain sorrow of sorts here and it's not typical. It remains at all times related to the subterranean idols and they manage to make it one and the same. I guess a certain despair can only come from half broken dieties of eyeless gods and their worship, eh? This drummer is creative as hell and the bass player sets the tone for the rest of the band to follow, cept no one is following as much as they are paving and erecting. One of the strongest points I find is that each song has its own identity without leaving the direction of the whole. Every song is immediately recognizable and distinct from one another. This is something not too much Metal sets out of its way to do, probably because of the difficulty of it all.

STARGAZER has been a little more prolific in terms of music released, with three full length under their belt, two demos an ep and a couple of splits. Must be hard to have that work ethic with music so seemingly technical that my bud get's Rush vibes from em. I guess that's not a bad way to vibe on them, Rush gone too deep into mysticism and stumbling into dimensions and truths they are afraid they couldn't handle but curiosity got the best of them. DID I MENTION BASS LINES? UGH! 2005, 2010 and 2015 saw the releases of their full lengths and I'll put it this way, every year their album was in my top 3 releases of the year. Period. Not just Metal. Music. Writing a song with this level of virtuosity and still keeping the nature of the song intact is quit a feat, especially with such pay offs as
That blazing sun under my lids, behind my teeth
Lay dead on the precipice of the abyss

Creeping up to engulf mine eye
To steal my vision complete
To steal all colours
One by one

Brings me to my knees.

SACRIPHYX released The Western Front in 2013 after two splits, a demo and a comp. How did they get signed? By sending a unsolicited demo to NWN!, which is usually immediately disregarded, but managed to impress so much as to become an obsession for the label. This is one of those projects people will call Death/Black/Thrash because where do we begin? This is just Metal given a vessel untouched in the past. Its primary concern is the expression, emotion and motif of every song and the album as a whole. This isn't really Metal for the sake of Metal, though the riffs would have you believe otherwise! Leads are prevalent throughout and everything has a very warm, analog sound. The rhythm section was surely recorded live. Far more so than the other projects we are grounded in soils and earth. Confronted by war, grime and blood on tattered and worn uniforms. Reflections from tired countrymen abound, never quite dipping into complete misery but you can see it in the horizon. Bullet riffs fly by your ears to wake you up back into where you are, only so much time for to wax poetic. Sounds like the Metal version of black and white warfare documentaries. This thing can manage a thrash at midpace really well.

Keep an eye out!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Checking these out on metal archives while im at school. Looking forward to hearing these when i get home
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

The 'splits' between these bands are almost amusing, given that the core lineup shares about four bands between them, if not more All of these belong at the top of the Australian hierarchy. Don't know what your opinion on Mournful Congregation is, but worth a mention too, especially for their debut.

Anyway, the best part is they're unique and weird while still remaining actually metal (rather than playing some other genre the main songwriter secretly wants to actually play, under a veil of heavy music), and producing consistently good material.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
StarGazer's A Great Work of Ages is really cool. Like a blackened Awaken the Guardian with Close to the Edge bass lines.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

That's it. StarGazer binge for the rest of the day, from a mountain of a million beers.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Recommended threads
Temnozor ( 1 2 )
Emenius Sleepus
Last post:
by AnnihiSlateR
Orodruin
MHDrunk
Last post:
by VampireGoldfish