What do you think of music that has "potential?" Do you think it's a valid criticism or describer of music or is it just lazy?

I personally like bands I describe as having potential. It's a lot more interesting to listen to a band or artist progress and take on different elements as they move through work than if they came out as a completed artist with a definitive album as their first record.
potential: 68-91
sign to youth squad asap

The worst thing a work can be is boring (though I think that you can get what you put in, within reason). If something lacks general excitement but has something tacked on that shows it can grow, that is fantastic for both author and subject.

If an artist releases their definitive album first that implies that we're looking in retrospect. But even Muse had their MO on their follow-up.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
pretty much feel the same as you, TS, though having a mindblowing first album is p cool in my book
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
pretty much feel the same as you, TS, though having a mindblowing first album is p cool in my book
it's good but it's like buying coke from a dealer and realising they hooked you on the premium stuff and then you're buying the shit stuff from then on and you'll never forget the premium but even if you could afford it you've had that spoiled for you through constant exposure and it's RUINED STEWIE IT"S RUINED MUSE WHY YOU COULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST FREE JAZZ BAND THIS SIDE OF MERCURY
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
it's good but it's like buying coke from a dealer and realising they hooked you on the premium stuff and then you're buying the shit stuff from then on and you'll never forget the premium but even if you could afford it you've had that spoiled for you through constant exposure and it's RUINED STEWIE IT"S RUINED MUSE WHY YOU COULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST FREE JAZZ BAND THIS SIDE OF MERCURY

then you can always go on a youtube video of your favorite song 10 years after it was released and comment "wish they still sounded like this"

people do that for AFI and I'm just like "it's been 20 years. let it go"
I just can't ejaculate unless I have $1mil in payment and a threat upon my favourite bands children if they don't make a new album of post-progressive jazzgrind.
ha-haaa
Quote by StewieSwan
then you can always go on a youtube video of your favorite song 10 years after it was released and comment "wish they still sounded like this"

people do that for AFI and I'm just like "it's been 20 years. let it go"

AFI actually got better when they went to commerical emo tho

I like bands that have potential, a lot. It's one reason why I respect QotSA; the sound has changed so much over the course of their discography. At the same time, I like bands that are kinda one trick, like My Sleeping Karma, just because they've perfected their style.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by EndTheRapture51

totes agre
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I thought ETR would post this.

And then he did.

Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Excluding the latest album or two of AFI as I haven't gave it a listen, but AFI's early and later commercial emo albums had some really fantastic moments for what they were going for.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
When I use the term "potential" for a band, it's when I listen to a song that I don't quite like, but feel curious to listen to more stuff from that band because, although not having really liked that specific song, it feels like I'd enjoy some other stuff from that said band.

It's not necessarily good or bad; it's more like a we'll see. It can go both ways.

And I still haven't listened to more songs by Boston Manor, Lyle, but I took note of the band's name, and I'll check it eventually
With Spotifty weekly I am finding some great songs from small bands and am thinking holy shit they are great, so I go to listen to their other stuff and I feel sad when they don't live up to their potential. Sort of makes me appreciate those artists who put out so much stuff I like even more than before though so that's good.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I dunno really

On the one hand it seems condescending and almost dismissive, but I think that depends on the effort the band put into the music. Maybe they were rushed, and potential truly wasn't met? On the other hand, maybe they're garbage and try to sound that way
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
What on Earth, I've never heard of music being described as having "potential"
My God, it's full of stars!
And lacking it to begin with is even less of a nothing
ha-haaa
I don't see how describing a band as having potential is a negative thing. All it means is that they have the ability to be better than they are, it doesn't mean they are necessarily bad.

Like I would describe Animals As Leader's first album as having potential. I still like it, but I don't feel they hit their stride until their third album. Doesn't mean the first one is bad.
Quote by Random3
I don't see how describing a band as having potential is a negative thing. All it means is that they have the ability to be better than they are, it doesn't mean they are necessarily bad.

Since ALL bands have "potential" to improve, it's a meaningless term, in other words.
One would almost be inclined to think that when someone says something has potential they mean it less in a platitudinal way, and more in a "moreso than most bands do". A basic bit of thought can grasp *that*

If you want to interrogate what words commonly used are (at least often) functionally meaningless you're in for a hell of a bumpy ride that line of enquiry ends in a very dark place.
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
One would almost be inclined to think that when someone says something has potential they mean it less in a platitudinal way,.

That is known as a "backhanded compliment", which is partial insult.
If that's how you choose to view it, so be it. I see it as an addendum to a critique which says "but, this is what they do have - and that which we say they do is that which the hordes of other bands do not".

As I said before - if you're going to take things entirely literally, you're going to end up somewhere you probably won't like.
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 22, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
Since ALL bands have "potential" to improve, it's a meaningless term, in other words.

True, but if I heard a band that sounded like ass I wouldn't describe them as having potential, I would describe them as sounding like ass.

If I heard a band that had some cool ideas but weren't quite there yet, I would describe them as having potential.
Quote by TobusRex
That is known as a "backhanded compliment", which is partial insult.

Not really. One of my favourite bands, Architects, released some cracking albums but I always thought they had unfufiled potential. Their latest album fulfilled that potential. It wasn't their best album but they finally got there with the songwriting and melodic stuff that I'd been hoping they'd do for years
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Not really. One of my favourite bands, Architects, released some cracking albums but I always thought they had unfufiled potential. Their latest album fulfilled that potential. It wasn't their best album but they finally got there with the songwriting and melodic stuff that I'd been hoping they'd do for years
Exactly. The potential is always subjective to what someone wanted from a band which they haven't quite got yet. What I see as improvement, other people may see as terrible and vice versa.