Page 1 of 4
http://heatst.com/entertainment/social-justice-warriors-push-teen-to-suicide/?utm_content=buffer8ff22&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

An official inquest has heard that a teenage girl named Phoebe Connop in the United Kingdom posted a photoshopped image of herself with darkened skin and wearing a headscarf on Instagram. She shared the image with friends, and jokingly suggested that she’d only get the approval of the parents of the boy she was interested in, who is of South Asian descent, if she resembled the edited photograph.

Unfortunately for her, the image was shared outside her private circle of friends, and Connop feared a backlash that would lead to her being branded a racist and subsequently ostracized. So Phoebe Connop, age 16, took her own life. Her parents say that she wasn’t behaving out of the ordinary in the months and weeks leading up to her death. Connop, who was an award-winning gymnast, had posted pictures of her school leavers prom just days prior.

During the inquest, the police detective investigating her suicide testified that she had taken her own life entirely because of her fears about the consequences of the photograph. There was no other reason, the police said.

“From speaking to her friends in the weeks following her death, we discovered that the image had circulated further than she wanted it to,” said Sergeant Katherine Tomkins. “There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, who did take the image down at her request, that she was scared of what the reaction might be from the Asian community in her area.”

Did the little girl who did this deserve it? Should SJW's be more careful about using shame as a corrective mechanism? Is it okay to shame people for things like this?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I offer now as the time for any UG SJWs to make the "oh I'm sorry are we not being nice enough to you?" comment

Social Justice, in it's corrupted, extreme form. is the bullying dream come true. It provides the ability for one to take all their vile wickedness and hatred, and cloak it as something good, and right.

Amen, random commenter.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 21, 2016,
oh boy I wonder how this threads gonna go down
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
oh boy I wonder how this threads gonna go down
How callous am I allowed to be?
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
Quote by Banjocal
How callous am I allowed to be?

full on banjocallous
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Good thing it happened before she spread her defective genes. Hard to feel sympathy for stupid. Killed herself BECAUSE SHE WAS WORRIED about "possible" backlash? What a dipshit.
Last edited by TobusRex at Sep 21, 2016,
Anyone who complains about SJWs/ever disagrees with them is a disgusting racist nazi woman-beater privileged shitlord skinhead KKK member of doom
I have nothing important to say
Quote by EpiExplorer
full on banjocallous
Elective cultural-emotive reinforcement through pressuring corrective social mechanisms

seriously though it's hardly surprising and the "callout culture" is just a 'righteous' secular variation on a cult
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 21, 2016,
Ian Miles Cheong is a journalist and outspoken game critic.

I think we know what this is actually about.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I think we know what this is actually about.
It's about ethics in driving people to suicide?
Uuummm did anyone actually drive her to suicide or did she kill herself in anticipation of a backlash? Sounds like she pulled the trigger too early..........

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by TobusRex
Good thing it happened before she spread her defective genes. Hard to feel sympathy for stupid. Killed herself BECAUSE SHE WAS WORRIED about "possible" backlash? What a dipshit.
yeah this is how all suicide is
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Xiaoxi
Uuummm did anyone actually drive her to suicide or did she kill herself in anticipation of a backlash? Sounds like she pulled the trigger too early..........

guess you could say she was

triggered
Now THIS is a brad thread
My God, it's full of stars!
to me it seems obvious that the "possible backlash" was the last straw for her, because honestly last year (and likely again in the coming months) i could see myself doing the same thing. Already hating yourself and thinking that nobody cares about you is rough, but then add on the looming threat of everyone you know's hatred of you and your parents' disappointment would be just too much.
\
Quote by Xiaoxi

Reading other articles on the subject, it seems she'd already received backlash over it.

With all the retarded shit going on these days with people hating white people, I can see why she felt she needed to do this.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Appalling
A culture of harassment and bullying is never okay, no matter the pretext used for it

Quote by Xiaoxi

It seems there WAS already online backlash (like the usual one that happens everytime). The article said she was afraid of backlash from the "Asian community in her area".
I.e she already suffered abuse and bullying online, and she was very worried about it spreading to her community and making it much more personal (because of the nature of her controversy). She already felt emotional pain with the online backlash, she didn't commit suicide "just because"

It does feel like she was having more problems beforehand (could have been depressed or had some emotional issues), but there is absolutely no excuse to ignore the abuse she suffered or give it a free pass ....

Quote by TobusRex

... so yeah, try to have some sympathy. A poor girl just killed herself because of bullying and other reasons. Well, actually I hope your post was sarcastic (it feels that way)
Quote by gonzaw
I hope your post was sarcastic (it feels that way)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Xiaoxi

Right?
Free Ali
Well, I can see why people would give her shit
And I can see why she would be scared about what people would think of her
But I find it very fucking sad that a bunch of assholes on the internet drove her to the edge.
I'm not defending anyone here but she probably had some preexisting mental health problems.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by Pastafarian96
Well, I can see why people would give her shit
And I can see why she would be scared about what people would think of her
But I find it very fucking sad that a bunch of assholes on the internet drove her to the edge.

But they DIDN'T drive her to the edge. She killed herself, supposedly, because she THOUGHT they would. Here why I think she did it: she was a drama queen and wanted to be the center of attention. How spoiled can a person be?? She didn't give a thought to anyone, but herself, the entire time. She had no history of mental illness (none was mentioned in the link). It's a good thing for her that Hell doesn't exist, because this is the kind of suicide it would be reserved for.

I'm sorry Pastafarian, but I can't give this girl the "victim" card. She victimized herself. Why? Because of "social" reasons. As a person who has always lived outside "normal" social interaction I can say that I feel no sympathy for her at all. Her ego and selfiishness are the reasons she is dead.

I'm against bullying. I understand bullying all too well. Let me explain my perspective. I was bullied, usually, a couple times at every new school I went too. I was poor as fuck, ugly, and wore weird looking homemade clothes (my mom couldn't afford to buy me clothes, so she sewed them herself). My father believed in violent Biblicly ordained beatings as a method of discipline, plus I did physical labor from a very early age (it's why I was stronger than other kids). As a result I DID develop mental problems. For one, I became a "bully slayer". I was particularly aggressive towards kids that gave me any grief. My father was much bigger and stronger than any schoolyard bullies who came at me, and he beat the shit out of me regularly. So I didn't fear bullies at all (and still don't). I have borderline sociopathic personality disorder. Another result of the bullying and the mental route I used to resolve it. It's very difficult for me to form personal relationships, which is why I value loyalty so much. It's why I was such a good soldier (I love to fight and am good at it because of all the practice I've had) and wrestler...and why I've always been so terrible with women, friends, bosses, etc. I resent the hell out of authority.

I'm sorry, I can't abide the girl's foolish ego. MY personality disorder forbids it.
Last edited by TobusRex at Sep 22, 2016,
Quote by Baby Joel
yeah this is how all suicide is

No it's not. There are legit reasons for suicide beyond mental health. Or in this girl's case, ego.
Quote by TobusRex
I have borderline sociopathic personality disorder.

Borderline???
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Borderline???

Oh yeah...I didn't specify which side of the border I'm on, did I?
TobusRex
Just because it doesn't say she'd had any previous mental illnesses, doesn't mean she didn't feel enough anxiety at the thought of being lynched and potentially killed (in her mind, possibly in real life) for it to drive her to the point of suicide. That her parents didn't notice her acting strangely is also not uncommon, most people are unaware that someone close to them is even depressed if they've had minimal experience with it.
Quote by Pastafarian96
TobusRex
Just because it doesn't say she'd had any previous mental illnesses, doesn't mean she didn't feel enough anxiety at the thought of being lynched and potentially killed (in her mind, possibly in real life) for it to drive her to the point of suicide. That her parents didn't notice her acting strangely is also not uncommon, most people are unaware that someone close to them is even depressed if they've had minimal experience with it.

It's true, people can go undiagnosed forever, but I think she just wanted to be the center of attention, to have everybody feeling sorry for her. To call her a "victim" is way too much. She victimized herself and as such....I can't feel sorry for her. I feel sorry for her family, whose feelings she callously disregarded in her ego show. And her friends, whom she unfairly labeled as bullies though they didn't bully her (they didn't even have a chance to bully her).
Quote by TobusRex
It's true, people can go undiagnosed forever, but I think she just wanted to be the center of attention, to have everybody feeling sorry for her. To call her a "victim" is way too much. She victimized herself and as such....I can't feel sorry for her. I feel sorry for her family, whose feelings she callously disregarded in her ego show. And her friends, whom she unfairly labeled as bullies though they didn't bully her (they didn't even have a chance to bully her).

This has not been said in any single new report I can find of this, she was worried of backlash when the image was taken outside her friend group and spread on the internet, her friends were the ones to remove the image at her request, they didn't bulky her nor did she accuse them of bullying
Quote by Pastafarian96
This has not been said in any single new report I can find of this, she was worried of backlash when the image was taken outside her friend group and spread on the internet, her friends were the ones to remove the image at her request, they didn't bulky her nor did she accuse them of bullying

That's a different impression than I got, but I still think it was all about her ego, nonetheless.
photoshopped image of herself with darkened skin and wearing a headscarf on Instagram, jokingly suggested that she’d only get the approval of the parents of the boy she was interested in, who is of South Asian descent, if she resembled the edited photograph.

What the fuck.

That is funny. Why should someone be shamed for making a stereotypical joke.

This to me is harmless. If she had crossed the line and made a full on racist joke then the reactions would at least make sense. I still wouldn't say this kind of thing is justified though.
I'm sure this thread is and will continue to be a hotbed of sensible, reasonable discussion.

It's awful that she did that. It's pretty dodgy to black up, or whatever the Asian equivalent is. She shouldn't have done that. She shouldn't have been hounded so much. She should have had a support network that helped her. The people that attacked her should have done so in a 'hey this is wrong, don't do it again?' kinda way, so she didn't feel like a mistake could have ruined her life. Lot of 'shoulds'.
Quote by Random3
Oh also, she was 16. I probably did a bunch of retarded stuff that offended people when I was 16, that doesn't mean I should have been harassed and shamed and pushed to suicide.

Of course people shouldn't harass and shame others. That being said I suppose most people today haven't heard the following nursery rhyme:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me".
I pretty much completely agree with tobus.

Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Page 1 of 4