Hello,

I made a post about a weird noise coming from my bass (Squier Vintage Modified J Bass) a few weeks ago, but (I think) I've finally found out where the problem is coming from. It's the different frequencies from the bass amp (Fender Rumble 25).

I normally play with just a clean tone, bass, mid, and treble turned all the way down. I started hearing this weird fuzziness happening kinda behind the notes though, even audible with headphones. But I recently realized by accident that turning the treble knob up on the amp increases the noise, making it really easy to hear over the notes. The bass and mid knobs alter the noise but don't make it go away.

So is there a direct fix for this? I could probably cut it out with editing if I ever learn how (or even need to learn how, I just play for fun). But what would be a fix that'd work just playing without recording? Is there a pedal or something that could work?
Last edited by PhatWeen at Sep 30, 2016,
Sounds like an electronics tech needs to do something like a bias adjustment on a tube section.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
As the man says.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I'll try to get a recording of the sound somehow, but I don't really have any good mics so it may not pick anything up.
have you tried a different amplifier? I seem to remember this same issue with a little Peavey practice amp... lose the "boost" & start with neutral settings & adjust from there.
Quote by Later, Peter
have you tried a different amplifier? I seem to remember this same issue with a little Peavey practice amp... lose the "boost" & start with neutral settings & adjust from there.
I've tried it on my bass teacher's amp, can't remember which one but it's a Fender, and the noise is nowhere near as noticeable, even though he generally uses a lot more treble than I like to.

I've never heard it in videos by others, even when they're recording audio directly from their cameras or haven't done any editing to the sound at all. They've also put a lot more money than I have into their setups, but I don't see what having an amp head or something would change about the sound at all.
Side note I forgot to mention: The sound goes away completely with the tone knob rolled all the way back. That might be important.