Hey! I have been playing for a few years now but not super seriously. I would like to get into playing metal music and want to update my guitars with one suited for metal. Im hoping I can get some help choosing one. I wanna stay at a max of 500$, like I said I'm not too serious of a player.
With that much info get a used Jackson that isn't a JS series or an ESP/LTD of a 400 series or higher of your shape and color preference.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I play primarily metal, I've just been using an ESP LTD MH-50, imo great guitar. Costs around $300
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
You can also get a decent Ibanez which feature a very thin neck that many guitar players like.
I got an Ibanez RG 5ex1 many years ago & it's still very much intact.
It's still enjoyable to play and likely wouldn't trade it for anything.
Cost was $300
Quote by metalmingee
With that much info get a used Jackson that isn't a JS series or an ESP/LTD of a 400 series or higher of your shape and color preference.

this.

also make sure that the jackson is MIJ.

the EC400 is better than the 401.

if you look, you could probably find a used EC1000 for that.

___

FWIW i have owned three MIJ jacksons, all three of the LTD's (EC400, EC401, EC1000), and currently own five ibanez prestige models (a little bit out of your budget, but IMO worth it).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have 5 MIJ Jackson's and one MIJ Charvel I paid an average of $350 for all of them and that is with only a few minor cosmetic flaws on a couple of them and some even came with the factory hard case. The Most expensive one was my 2010 RR3 Eerie Dess Swirl it had the factory Bloodline case and was in near mint condition not a mark on it I paid $500 for it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by d.a.lees
Hey! I have been playing for a few years now but not super seriously. I would like to get into playing metal music and want to update my guitars with one suited for metal. Im hoping I can get some help choosing one. I wanna stay at a max of 500$, like I said I'm not too serious of a player.

What do you figure are features is more "suited" for metal (as opposed to what you have now)?
dspellman
Humbucker pickups, thin flat neck, mahogany body, and a body that is styled in a metal fashion, something that looks like it's for metal.
Jackson MIJ pro guitars cannot be beaten for the amount you can get them for used. Brilliant quality guitars.

However I would avoid getting anything with a Floyd Rose if you want to change tuning/string gauges conveniently.

What other features are you looking for? What body style? Neck construction, bridge etc?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by d.a.lees
metalmingee
Looked at a ESP LTD F-400. Might go with that

I would grab this all day, I love the extra thin U neck profile on these guitars, I think the F series is one of the only models that has it without a floyd rose style bridge. And they have a little more 'metal styling' than the standard super strat guitar.

If that is not going to work then grab a jackson, some very nice used Jacksons can be had for your budget.
Quote by d.a.lees
guitarsngear
Is the f-50 too big a step down from say an F-400?
I would say yes, it's a significant step down
Quote by d.a.lees
guitarsngear
Is the f-50 too big a step down from say an F-400?

Yes they're far worse.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes they're far worse.

to say the least.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/