I've been planning on getting a new guitar amp. Been playing through my computer this whole time, kind of want an actual amp rather than a garageband amp.
Was looking at these two earlier

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall/MG-Series-MG30CFX-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall/MG-Series-MG15CFX-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Carbon-Fiber-1310746071138.gc

Despite the $50 cost difference, their pictures look exactly the same, though the comments have said that the 30 is better than the 15
Does anyone have any of these amps? Does the difference in watt make a difference in sound? Is it extremely noticeable?

I'm mostly playing metal. And the amp that came with a guitar kit I bought a long time ago, sounds kind of terrible (was a 10w sawtooth amp, even garageband's software amps sound better)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Both.

Are.

Crap.

No, really!

You can do much better for the money.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Do you have any suggestions?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Jet City for high gain on the cheap. Marshall MG= poo.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
its kind of a dog shit or cat shit thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd rather have a flamethrower. I like MG's crispy.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 22, 2016,
Quote by Parac
Do you have any suggestions?

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Charles Darwin
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its kind of a dog shit or cat shit thing.

I wouldn't really say that. It's more like slightly bigger shit and slightly smaller shit from the same animal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I wouldn't really say that. It's more like slightly bigger shit and slightly smaller shit from the same animal.

cat shit and tiger shit?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
OMG, those MG's are $200! Holy (cat, tiger, dog) shit!

If you want a modeling amp for metal then buy a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 and be done with it.

If you want a non-modeling amp we can get creative in your budget.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Im kind of curious, why all the negativity towards Marshall amps? I was searching for a better amp than my shady Sawtooth guitar kit amp, saw that a lot of bands in music videos had marshall amps stscked together, saw a product demo, thought it was alright.

I got about a $200 budget (dont want to go too crazy. Am just a broke college student; need something for the occasional stress-relieving playing, and occasionally playing with friends/roommates)
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
Im kind of curious, why all the negativity towards Marshall amps? I was searching for a better amp than my shady Sawtooth guitar kit amp, saw that a lot of bands in music videos had marshall amps stscked together, saw a product demo, thought it was alright.

I got about a $200 budget (dont want to go too crazy. Am just a broke college student; need something for the occasional stress-relieving playing, and occasionally playing with friends/roommates)

It's not against Marshall amps, which as you rightfully note many bands use and many people love.

It's THIS Marshall amp series (The "MG" series), which is a Marshall in name only. The ONLY resemblance to the amps you're seeing used is purely cosmetic.

If you will answer the questions I posed above (post #7), I've no doubt we can find you something that will meet your needs, budget and won't leave you feeling like you got the shaft down the road.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Parac

The MG amps are, as arby has said, a piece of hateful cat poop with a Marshall logo on it. Simply put, there are so many far better options in this price range from other brands, like Peavey's Vypyr amps that are so vastly superior that the MG has become a butt of jokes.

The cheapest Marshall amps that begin to be worth considering are the DSL's, which is way over your budget.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 22, 2016,
Yes the MG will sound better than your package amp but for the same money there are much better options (as echoed above). We just don't want to see you waste your money. If you are going new I would suggest a Peavey Vypr or a Roland Cube. If you go used there are probably more options available to you depending on where you are located.
I owned the predecessor to the MG (the Valvestate VS series) a long time ago.

It was horrendously awful. Bees in a trash can.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Parac

MGs are targeted toward beginner players who see the Marshall logo and assume (like you) that you are going to get the sounds that Marshall is known for. thing is that all the amps Marshall is known for are Tube amps, the MG is solid state and cheaply made. at bedroom volumes they can sound ok for certain tones but once turned up they turn to crap really fast. as mentioned there are other amps in similar price range that kill the MG. Peavey vypyr or vip series is a way better deal for the money. if you can find a used Peavey Valveking then again way better
Quote by monwobobbo
MGs are targeted toward beginner players who see the Marshall logo and assume (like you) that you are going to get the sounds that Marshall is known for. thing is that all the amps Marshall is known for are Tube amps, the MG is solid state and cheaply made. at bedroom volumes they can sound ok for certain tones but once turned up they turn to crap really fast. as mentioned there are other amps in similar price range that kill the MG. Peavey vypyr or vip series is a way better deal for the money. if you can find a used Peavey Valveking then again way better
To be fair, weren't the MOSFET Lead 100 heads pretty decent? It's not that it's a solid state amp that makes the MG crap, it's that it's a crap solid state amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
To be fair, weren't the MOSFET Lead 100 heads pretty decent? It's not that it's a solid state amp that makes the MG crap, it's that it's a crap solid state amp.

jury is kinda split on the MOSFET but yeah it's supposed to be half way decent. and you are right didn't mean to put down all SS just pointing out that Marshall built it's rep on tube amps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

for certain things they are stomachacable, but "pretty decent" i am not sure i would say.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The MG sounds like a digital cow getting raped.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by AsOneIStand
The MG sounds like a digital cow getting raped.

It's not digital , but yeah cow getting raped is about right.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Their competition in the day was the JCM800. In comparison would you call it pretty decent? They were useable but not much more than that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
trashedlostfdup I'm aware they're not digital. That's how sad it is that it sounds like a digital cow getting raped.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
It's not digital , but yeah cow getting raped is about right.

The onboard effects are...
Charles Darwin