Okay so, I was wondering if any one had some solid tips for the overall maintenance of a matte finish guitar?
I know theres a lot of threads on here about maintaining the aesthetics of loved guitars but I havent come across anything for matte finishes, my main 7 string is a Jackson JS-227 I use it daily and it goes with me to the weekly 5 hour practice sessions in the studio which is hot and sweaty, I know about fretboard and string maintenance but I dont want to lose the finish on the body if i can help it, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Last edited by monsterhawk at Sep 22, 2016,
The best you can do it is clean it. There are many products for doing that.

Do NOT buff or polish it. Naturally over time the finish will most likely begin to wear in places, as is typical. Not a lot to do about it, but I wouldn't get too bummed. It's your workhorse, keeping it pristine will be almost impossible.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
yeah I know it will never be the same as the day I pulled it from the box but I wanna keep it the best I can.
Is there any sort of wax I could use to keep the finish for as long as possible?
I wont mind too much if it wears down a little cus I kind of like the worn look a little but as its currently my only 7, I want to keep it as nice as possible until I can afford a killer. but I suppose for £200 I cant moan if it wears of a little!
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
you should see my workhorses... lol. they get used and abused.

most of my other guitars are in great shape, but they live an easy life compared to the others.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monsterhawk
yeah I know it will never be the same as the day I pulled it from the box but I wanna keep it the best I can.
Is there any sort of wax I could use to keep the finish for as long as possible?
I wont mind too much if it wears down a little cus I kind of like the worn look a little but as its currently my only 7, I want to keep it as nice as possible until I can afford a killer. but I suppose for £200 I cant moan if it wears of a little!

If you want to keep it in good condition as possible then don't play it.

That's just the way things are with satin-finished guitars. The satin wears off quickly and when it does, it looks like someone didn't sand the guitar between clearcoats properly. It looks especially bad on satin black guitars. Nothing you can really do about it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Thought thatd be the case :/ i guess putting a lacquer on it would defeat the point in a matte finish... Looks like when it fades she's gonna be getting a new paint job then!!
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Quote by monsterhawk
Thought thatd be the case :/ i guess putting a lacquer on it would defeat the point in a matte finish... Looks like when it fades she's gonna be getting a new paint job then!!

Lacquer wears too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah but would it not increase the life of the finish? An extra layer of defence as it were
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Quote by monsterhawk
Yeah but would it not increase the life of the finish? An extra layer of defence as it were

Not particularly I would say.

A refin isnt exactly cheap either.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The finish I can get done alright. I know a guy that does good paint jobs... thanks for the help though all! Appreciate it
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Well im sure he would even tell you that a refin would probably not the the best course of action if youre worried about damaging a finish.

Good luck man. Hope you find a solution.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster