To start off, I'm looking for a good electric guitar amp to run clean tones(Under the Bridge, Soul to Squeeze), rock(It's Not A Fashion Statement, Welcome to the Black Parade), and metal(Ride the Lightning, One). I've been using a classical guitar for 2 years, and decided to go to electric to improve my playing(whammy, vibrato, sustain, etc.). Budget is anything below 150 dollars. Any thoughts?

Vox V9106 Pathfinder 80 dollars

Blackstar FLY3PAK 97 dollars

Fender Champion 20 100 dollars

Fender Mustang I V2 120 dollars

Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 127 dollars

BUGERA BC15 129 dollars
With that low of a budget, my recommendation would be the Fender Mustang. With the variety of tones you want, you need modeling. If you go used, you might could find one of the higher-powered Mustang models in your budget.
Just don't expect much for that price range. If you could save up and double the budget you'll get something much better on the used market.

out of those I'd go with Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
With technology what it is today a modeling amp is fine for a first amp and as a practice amp.

Of your choices I'd buy the Peavey Vypyr VIP but would go for the 2 over the 1. I have the first generation and it's fine to get things started. The 12" speaker and extra rack effects should be worth it.

The VIP manual seems much more straight forward than the original series - they actually explain what the amps are instead of leaving you guessing.

Clean tones - Classic, Twin, XXX (green)

Rock tones - Classic (Yellow,red), Budda, British, XXX (yellow)

Metallica tones - 6505, XXX, Butcher

With all that said I hear there is some magic to be unlocked in the Fender Mustang editor on your computer. No experience with it though.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Sep 22, 2016,
As stated none of those amps are going to be great, I would suggest the Peavey out of the list especially for the rock and metal tones.
So the Peavey seems to be the fan favorite, although the Mustang was also voted for.
So, if I'm going for the Peavey, do I go for the VIP 1 or 2?
Voradian
I'd go for the 2. Bigger speaker and it separates the effects.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors, and generate a bit more cash for an amp that will be a keeper. A nice pedal is $150. A decent amp begins at around $250.

A used Vypyr VIP would be my choice for the stuff you play.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 22, 2016,
I would lean more towards the vypyr over the Mustang.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Alright then, final 2 questions which might be stupid.
Do I use my computer as an amp or go for the VIP 2?
Do I order online or go into a store?
(I heard good things about Guitar Rig, but I'm not too sure if I should go for it. Any advice?)
Last edited by Voradian at Sep 23, 2016,
Amp sim vs dedicated Amp is really about personal preference, I like having a seperate device because I'm on my Computer way too much as it is. If you go with the computer sims, do you have proper speakers?
Online or Store doesn't matter, go wherever it is cheaper or more convenient.
And just for a slightly differnet option: For 200$ you can also get a used Vypyr Tube 60, which would have the advantage that it would be enough to gig if you ever want to.
See here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Vypyr-Tube-1x12-60W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112409082.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Vypyr-Tube-1x12-60W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112502924.gc
I feel like using Amp sims on the computer (I use Peavey ReValver with a Guitar to USB Cable with either the crappy laptop speakers or Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones) alongside Guitar Pro is a very useful and productive practice setup, especially for timing and rhythm practice. You control everything from the computer and all sound is via the headphones - I pan the Guitar Pro guitars to one ear and leave my guitar stereo so I can clearly hear what I'm doing.

The con to this setup is only you can hear it (well, that's actually a huge pro to my marriage surviving). Playing with others is a no go.

I also have amps (Mesa Roadster) that I love to crank when I can and then my neighbors also appreciate the hours of practicing with headphones!

So the best course is to buy both. I wish all of these computer setups existed when I first started to learn - it's so much easier and they sound glorious for practice.

The Vypyr has an Aux In as well so you can just run your computer based Guitar Pro into that. Peavey's manual also brags about their headphone out so maybe that will be a good silent option.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims