Dear All,

Very shortly we're going to be launching a website promoting music education software products, and content (theory, blog ...).

But, I also really like the idea of running a weekly(?) comic strip, like dilbert.com, but using music-related characters. I have an amazing illustrator friend of mine.

Couple of obvious scenarios are having stories about characters at a music school, or having characters in and associated with a band (so can have all the usual cliches about drummers drooling etc).

So I thought I'd seek your opinions? Suggested characters (includng names, and how you think they may be potrayed, roughly). Suggested type of band? Purely a fun thing.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Sep 22, 2016,
-An EG regular that is very concerned with tonewood.
-A dork that likes metalcore and gets sad when he finds the Metal forum thinks that metalcore is trash.
-An SW&L regular that just writes nonsense "metaphors" with random line breaks and no rhyme or rhythm.
-A Recordings regular who gets upset when someone tells him that his music isn't the best in the world.
-A GG&A regular that thinks he has ears of gold but can't tell a $6000 tube amp from a $60 used solid state combo.
-An MT regular that doesn't understand modes.
-An Anime thread regular that quit guitar to watch cartoons about 9 year old girls.
-An absurd Pit mod that never closes threads or does anything.
-A Russian Admin that wears an ushenka, plays balalaika, and is always drunk.
-Nobody representing the drum forum because that place is a ghost town.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
To go off of what Kristen said:

- A guitarist who plays through $10,000 worth of gear, and claims that his tone "comes from his gear, not his fingers." Add to this that he can hardly play, bend in tune, and claims anyone playing 16th notes at 80bpm or faster as people "with no feel."

- A teenage metalhead that is "very open-minded about discovering new music" but only listens to Metallica, A7X, and Lamb of God.
Skip the username, call me Billy
theogonia777

Heheh! All given me ideas. Thanks Kirsten.

My illustrator buddy did a great comic strip over the weekend, featuring a dodgy music shop, with even dodgier owner, who hates music. Guy tries out a chromatic harmonica, primed with explosives. Most of head and fingers severely damaged. He turns to the shop-keeper, smiles, and says ... "I'll take it".
Quote by jerrykramskoy
theogonia777

Heheh! All given me ideas. Thanks Kirsten.

My illustrator buddy did a great comic strip over the weekend, featuring a dodgy music shop, with even dodgier owner, who hates music. Guy tries out a chromatic harmonica, primed with explosives. Most of head and fingers severely damaged. He turns to the shop-keeper, smiles, and says ... "I'll take it".

The salespeople have to be weaselly salespeople that don't actually know anything about what they are selling. But then there is one salesperson that knows what they are doing but nobody listens to them. Also make sure none of the guitars are in tune but one time they are in tune and everyone is incredibly surprised.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
The salespeople have to be weaselly salespeople that don't actually know anything about what they are selling. But then there is one salesperson that knows what they are doing but nobody listens to them. Also make sure none of the guitars are in tune but one time they are in tune and everyone is incredibly surprised.

I'd be happy f the strings were put on some time this year. Most of the time when you try out a guitar (usually at your "big-box" stores like GC), the strings feels all grimey and dead like they've been on the guitar for at least a decade.
Skip the username, call me Billy
You need some weird overly philosophical person that is really deep but plays drums in a punk band. You also need an ace that prides themselves on showing up customers... often at the expense of a sale.
theogonia777

I've met a few aces in the past of that ilk.

I'm starting to really like the idea of just running the comic around what happens in this mad shop, and to the unfortunate souls visiting it.

Just reviewing the website ... very happy with that ... so, illustrator allowing, I hope to start running said comic in around 2 weeks from now.
-Singers who always cup the mic is a musician thing. There's shirts from SMG that say "stop cupping the mic dumbass." So it must be common.
-That one band that refuses to play to a metronome because it's not organic/it's robotic.
-Theory nerd who always thinks he knows how a melody could be improved,
-Perfectionist who is really good but never shows his work to people because they never think it's good enough. This I've seen in real life, I have a friend who's never released an album, but writes as much if not more than me, and I have 13 albums out.

If you're doing a shop get something that's not obviously a spider amp, but some similarly named amp with digital modelling, that the boss/salesman is always trying to get noobs to buy.