Page 1 of 2
So earlier this week, I made the decision to stop smoking for good. For a little over 9 years, I have been an on again-off again smoker, and most of my current social circle are in the same boat, but we have made a little pact to quit.

I have tried to quit before, and at one point went months without smoking, but always fell back into it. The challenge comes in when I drink, as I very rarely feel temptation to smoke while sober, but after half a beer, my cravings kick in. Having said this, I went out the other night with a friend and had a few drinks, and while I was tempted to smoke, I pulled through and resisted the urge, and felt a lot better for it the next day.

I'm currently on day six, and feel pretty good, but just wondered, for any ex-smokers, if it's normal to have an intermittent hacking cough? I hear that it's the lungs trying to get all the shit out, and I'm not too concerned about it at the moment, but it's quite annoying.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
After smoking for at least half of 9 years? Well fuck son I don't know if that would cause a hacking cough let me think
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
The cough is normal
Good luck with kicking it, better to not smoke and be filled with carcinogens
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Banjocal
After smoking for at least half of 9 years? Well fuck son I don't know if that would cause a hacking cough let me think

When you put it that way, it's a no brainer, but like I said, it was on again - off again. I was never at a point of smoking a twenty pack per day, and in the past few years it's only really been during drinking sessions. Up until now there's never really been a distinct cough.
WHOMP

Quit smoking on June 1st 2014. Best decision I ever made, I've never felt healthier. Keep it up, you won't regret it
You can start vaping

But honestly just quitting cold turkey is your best bet. Start exercising too, obviously keeps your head clear and keeps you away from the stinkys
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
You can start vaping

But honestly just quitting cold turkey is your best bet. Start exercising too, obviously keeps your head clear and keeps you away from the stinkys

I have given some thought to vaping instead, but I've never really liked it and like you said, going cold turkey is best. I am thinking about going jogging too. Tried to get into a routine a few months ago but it's not compatible with smoking.
WHOMP

Quote by donender
I have given some thought to vaping instead, but I've never really liked it and like you said, going cold turkey is best. I am thinking about going jogging too. Tried to get into a routine a few months ago but it's not compatible with smoking.

Try jump rope you don't have to leave your house and it's more fun
Builds good stamina and endurance and it's a great skill
I've never been a fan of jogging either, and you burn way more fat faster doing HIIT like burpees or jump rope
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I bought an e cig and I could breathe on mornings after a week

It's not vaping though cos it doesn't look stupid
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I quit smoking and went to vaping, and vaping was just as hard to quit.

The benefits of vaping are: it's cheaper, it doesn't smell, you can do it indoors in many places...but it's still super addicting.
Good luck to ya. Depending on where you live there are a lot of resources for help with quitting. At least here in the states.
quit smoking 2 years ago

never felt worse tbh
Struggling to quit myself, it's pretty rough, I've cut down loads but I still need 2-3 to get me through the day. Best of luck to you, you've done great already!

The cough is normal btw, just your lungs trying to clear themselves. I think anyway, should probably see a doctor if it persists or gets any worse
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Sep 23, 2016,
I quit 11 years ago.
Mrs Guizar bought me, The Easy Way To Quit Smoking, By Allan Carr.
I was skeptical, but figured, why not?

I took it easy with the drink until all the nicotine was out of my system, I stayed away from the pubs and only had one or two beers at home then stopped before the cravings started.
Then I remember I could smell nicotine on my skin, it was horrible, I think I was sweating it out.
Then the coughing came and went and I started to feel better but was still having dreams I was smoking.
After a few months the dreams stopped and I started feeling great.
I remember how nice it was not stinking of smoke and realized how much people stink after they've had one.
Haven't touched one since and still feel great.

It's tough in the beginning but in the long run it's worth the struggle.
Hope this helps, and my apologies to everyone for making a serious post, I won't do it again.
Last edited by UltimateGuizar at Sep 24, 2016,
Quote by UltimateGuizar
I quit 11 years ago.
Mrs Guizar bought me, The Easy Way To Quit Smoking, By Allan Carr.
I was skeptical, but figured, why not?

Great decision, hope you keep at it!

Think of all the lovely money you're saving too. I've heard getting an app that works out hot much money you've saved from not buying cigarettes/tobacco is very motivational.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

fuck me

i think reading a book by alan carr would make me want to take up smoking
Good on you for making changes to your own well-being!
-BUBBA-
GJ M8 the cough is because when you smoke, you dried out your throat so your body compensated by producing a ton of mucus. Now that you're not smoking you have all this extra mucus that you have to cough out. Once It's gone you'll be set.
I also found that going swimming a few times a week made me feel great when I got out of the pool and into the fresh air again.
I'm sure it was just because of the stuffy swimming hall air, but that feeling was great.
You know that feeling when you wear new socks and new shoes at the same time? Like that but in your lungs instead.
Quote by Trowzaa

yeah okay keep telling yourself that

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by UltimateGuizar
I actually thought they were the same thing, is there nicotine in those vaping thingys?

Same as smoking?

Yeah it has nicotine in it but it doesn't have all (or most) of the other shite chemicals in it.

Quote by Trowzaa
Same as smoking?

Yeah it has nicotine in it but it doesn't have all (or most) of the other shite chemicals in it.

No, I thought e cig and vaping were the same thing.
I guess that's better than smoking, but if you want the cravings to go you need to get rid of nicotine altogether.
Quote by UltimateGuizar
No, I thought e cig and vaping were the same thing.
I guess that's better than smoking, but if you want the cravings to go you need to get rid of nicotine altogether.

Oh, they are.
I just don't like to be included as a vaper
I don't really want cravings to go tbh, I quite enjoy smoking

Quote by UltimateGuizar
Well then, that clears all that mess up then.
So eh, what ya wanna do now?

Netflix and fuck?

In relation to trying to quit and dealing with the cravings, according to something I read recently there are some things that will help to lessen the cravings - Foods high in vitamin C, seeds, and nuts should all make it easier to avoid the cravings.
Quote by Heretic18
In relation to trying to quit and dealing with the cravings, according to something I read recently there are some things that will help to lessen the cravings - Foods high in vitamin C, seeds, and nuts should all make it easier to avoid the cravings.

Huh, I didn't know that, I did find myself eating a lot of sweet stuff but cut that out pretty quickly too.
I've always found that not being set on fire has helped me not to smoke. I hope that helps
Thanks for the positive messages guys. I had a little setback over the weekend and bummed a couple of cigarettes from friends at a party, but I'm not gonna let myself backslide any further than that. While it's not great, I was in a situation where I only had one or two smokes, whereas usually I'd have at least nine or ten.
WHOMP

Quote by Trowzaa

see that's where you're wrong

not only do you have a mouth fedora but you also have a shit tier mouth fedora and you look like a know-nothing
Quote by Amuro Jay

not only do you have a mouth fedora but you also have a shit tier mouth fedora and you look like a know-nothing

Oh man, you just burned someone with an e-cig.
Haven't quit smoking, quit cigarettes (unless social). I'm significantly better in every way. Not as good as not smoking, but still better.

Longest I've gone without smoking since the age of 13 was Eid of 2013 in Egypt. Apparently all stores close during that period there, and I ran out on the first day not knowing I'd be cut off. I hate that country.
Quote by Amuro Jay

I'm glad I know nothing about vaping

Longest I've gone without smoking since I was 14 was when I got glandular fever when I kissed in 2009

Page 1 of 2