Posted this over on the Gibson forum a few days ago, but haven't gotten any responses so I figured maybe it'd help if I widened my audience so to speak:

Hey all, I've just purchased an '81 Victory MV II that was completely stripped of all hardware and electronics. It will be delivered tomorrow.

My goal is NOT to put all factory components in it. I am not a collector.

First question is not immensely important, just would like to know. On this particular guitar, the headstock reads "Gibson Victory CM" and of course, the MV II truss rod cover. What does CM mean? I have not seen that on any other Victory. First thought is "carved maple" but I believe Gibson has only used that on that 2015 LP CM, second thought is "custom made" but I HIGHLY doubt that.

Now, for the more important question; I know these came stock with a top adjusting tune-o-matic, will a standard Nashville TOM fit without filling and re-drilling? Is the tailpiece the standard Gibson size? It appears as though the inserts for the studs have been removed so I'm not sure myself.

Apologies if either of these are stupid questions, this is my first Gibson guitar, all my other guitars with TOMs have import sized posts and whatnot

EDIT/UPDATE: Guitar came in today, ironically, it was made on September 22nd 1981, today's September 21st... Funny eh? Also don't find it all that heavy, but that said it doesn't have any hardware on it yet so...

Yes, all stud inserts are indeed missing.
This should be a Gibson Top Adjust bridge, and you'll probably want to go with that. Gibson's part number was 80087. It's an improvement over the TOM in several ways. One is that the Top Adjust has a built in "slant" that allows the tailpiece to be lowered without contacting the back of the bridge. Harder to find but a much smarter choice. You also have a choice of nylon or metal saddles with these, and most went with nylon! A bit expensive on eBay, though: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GIBSON-Top-Adjust-Tune-O-Matic-Bridge-for-Victory-some-Flying-V-Guitars-/361716599414?hash=item5437fd4a76:g:fQEAAOSw14xWPLtq

I wonder if CM doesn't stand for Country Music. Gibson viewed (and advertised) these guitars as aimed at the Country Music player. The body is probably routed for an H-S-H configuration, so you have an opportunity to have either setup (you'd have to sub in a five-way for the three-way on the H-H version). I think the original Victory guitars with the H-S-H size configuration actually used a stacked single-coil-size humbucker in the middle.
Quote by dspellman
This should be a Gibson Top Adjust bridge, and you'll probably want to go with that. Gibson's part number was 80087. It's an improvement over the TOM in several ways. One is that the Top Adjust has a built in "slant" that allows the tailpiece to be lowered without contacting the back of the bridge. Harder to find but a much smarter choice. You also have a choice of nylon or metal saddles with these, and most went with nylon! A bit expensive on eBay, though: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GIBSON-Top-Adjust-Tune-O-Matic-Bridge-for-Victory-some-Flying-V-Guitars-/361716599414?hash=item5437fd4a76:g:fQEAAOSw14xWPLtq

Like I said, I have no interest in making the guitar 100% stock. My intention is to go with a tonepro's bridge and tailpiece, and I know I can get graphtech type, nylon, steel, brass, etc saddles for a tonepro's bridge.

The body is indeed routed for HSH, but i'm sticking to HH, not a fan of middle pickups