I've been playing acoustic for about a year now, and I'm looking to get an electric guitar and learn more about playing a different style of music and playing lead instead of rhythm. The Fender Affinity Strat has been recommended to me based on my experience and what I want to learn. Is that what I should get?

Also, if anyone knows a good amp that's pretty cheap, please tell me. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, mostly just something to play around with and figure out how it works.
That depends on your preferences..
You should tell us some details.
For example:
What type of music do you want to play ? (Metal, rock, blues, jazz etc.)
What bands or artists do you like ?
What's your budget?
Do you have the possibility to play the guitar before you buy her ?
The more you tell us, the easier it'll be to recommend an amp / guitar.
how much money do you have? if you've already been playing for a while you should probably try to get something a bit better.

also what type(s) of music do you want to play?

and what acoustic do you have (just to see what quality level you're used to).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
idk I don't like them they are smaller than a real strat and quality is not open box ready. You start hitting decent guitars in the classic vibe series.

If your in USA look for a used made in Mexico strat. That's If you want a strat, your best bang for buck is used mim strat in the US.
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
idk I don't like them they are smaller than a real strat and quality is not open box ready. You start hitting decent guitars in the classic vibe series.

If your in USA look for a used made in Mexico strat. That's If you want a strat, your best bang for buck is used mim strat in the US.

I second the mim comment.

The affinity series would be a reasonable choice for a low budget, but a used mim is going to sound and feel better.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
I agree with the above comments on the MIM strat.
But if the budget is tight, the squires do come in package deals with a little practice amp. Not my first choice, but good for learning on.

A MIM strat and a decent budget friendly amp is a great start.

What is your total budget? And what style do you want to play?

A fender mustang amp is good for more classic rock and blues on a budget, peavey viper for metal and hard rock.
Kick it up a notch and the orange crush pro, or a jet city or other mini tube amp becomes possible.