Page 1 of 2
Digital technology and software has made it possible for people to be many times more productive than they used to be. Some think technology is turning us into robots while others see it as unlocking our true human potential. Social etiquette is also changing. Many of us communicate less face-to-face, than we do online. Will the lack of face-to-face communication affect the next generation? Do the problems raised by digital technologies outweigh the benefits?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Online communication has not replaced face-to-face communication, but merely supplemented it. I'd argue that the rise of technology has let people be less robotic, as repetitive manual labour is becoming more and more automated.
WE HAVEN'T GONE FAR ENOUGH. I STILL CAN'T DIVE INTO DEM ANIME TIDDIES.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
We are literally being turned into robots, yes.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by neidnarb11890
yes

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
people look like distracted cats on their phones. busier than ever pfftt

are robots slaves?
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
we've pretty much always been cyborgs. Language is just as mechanistic and just as much of a tool as anything else we use. Oral traditions where stories are passed down through generations are essentially a human cloud that just gets backed up once or twice a generation when stories are memorized by new members. Writing allows us to store knowledge outside the human brain and replicate it separately from the person who recorded it originally, an ability we aren't born with.

Humans aren't and won't "turn into" machines, but the line between human and machine is much blurrier than we'd like in most cases.

Quote by sashki
Online communication has not replaced face-to-face communication, but merely supplemented it. I'd argue that the rise of technology has let people be less robotic, as repetitive manual labour is becoming more and more automated.
It does supplement what we've been doing the whole time, but it doesn't necessarily make us less robotic. It just supplements out hyper-social behavior by minimizing a lot of restrictions like time and distance. The internet, social media included, is probably one of the greatest inventions ever when it comes to social interaction; people simply privilege speech over writing since it's more "immediate" or "personal". Both essentially come from the same place but are different representations. Trying to define what is most "human" will almost always come up with a less than clear cut answer since we have so much overlap with animals and machines; if anything, our most defining trait is our ability to seamlessly adapt into different modes of communication and interaction. Just look at all the weird forms of communication that just came out of the internet. in what, 25 years? That's ridiculously quick.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 24, 2016,
Quote by neidnarb11890
that's garbage tbh
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Just look at all the weird forms of communication that just came out of the internet. in what, 25 years? That's ridiculously quick.
What weird forms?

There's always been text, then there were n00dz made out of text, then images, sound and videos.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by sashki

This

There are cases where people socialize more on their phones than on people face-to-face. In those cases people would need to be more respectful of the people in front of them and try to socialize more in-person. But in general I don't see many problems with this, spending a few seconds here and there checking your phone to socialize with others (that may be on the other side of the world) is good
Quote by slapsymcdougal
What weird forms?

There's always been text, then there were n00dz made out of text, then images, sound and videos.
We've had rapidly shifting forms of textual communication with more initialization and acronyms. One of the main differences is that it had significantly less embodiment than other forms. All these terms didn't really have an authority deciding which was more or less acceptable, and very little of this communication was done in person. Memes are a good example of where the internet has introduced new elements. They're usually an image with text applied in a certain context. First you need to understand the image, then you need to understand the connotative meaning behind that image. Same with the text but you have to understand the text itself and how it interfaces with the image. Where it is places can further impact the meaning. So there's three layers of information there, and eventually that can be referenced by single elements. Like, if you only post Kermit sipping tea, the meaning and connotation of the meme is carried with it.

Like, that's basically intertextuality which is pretty old, but shit changes so quickly with the given authority. Memes start bleeding into each other and get influenced by multiple sources. It's just a really original form of communication when you consider how quickly it established itself as a "thing". and all of this was built by people who don't know each other and may not even interact online. One addition to a meme occurs in one place then gets circulated. The lack of embodiment is the cool thing to me.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 24, 2016,
bro you need to respond to my angry face cause we're gonna fight
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
We've had rapidly shifting forms of textual communication with more initialization and acronyms. One of the main differences is that it had significantly less embodiment than other forms. All these terms didn't really have an authority deciding which was more or less acceptable, and very little of this communication was done in person. Memes are a good example of where the internet has introduced new elements. They're usually an image with text applied in a certain context. First you need to understand the image, then you need to understand the connotative meaning behind that image. Same with the text but you have to understand the text itself and how it interfaces with the image. Where it is places can further impact the meaning. So there's three layers of information there, and eventually that can be referenced by single elements. Like, if you only post Kermit sipping tea, the meaning and connotation of the meme is carried with it.

Like, that's basically intertextuality which is pretty old, but shit changes so quickly with the given authority. Memes start bleeding into each other and get influenced by multiple sources. It's just a really original form of communication when you consider how quickly it established itself as a "thing". and all of this was built by people who don't know each other and may not even interact online. One addition to a meme occurs in one place then gets circulated. The lack of embodiment is the cool thing to me.
So subtext didn't exist before the internet?

*themoreyouknow.jpg*
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
So subtext didn't exist before the internet?

*themoreyouknow.jpg*
it totally did; the internet just gave all kinds of new ways to use it, and that expression is able to shift way faster than before. I just think it's a super interesting turn of events that gets overlooked because we've adjusted so thoroughly to it in some cases
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
it totally did; the internet just gave all kinds of new ways to use it, and that expression is able to shift way faster than before. I just think it's a super interesting turn of events that gets overlooked because we've adjusted so thoroughly to it in some cases
They're not new ways.

People have been telling jokes about why the Mona Lisa has that look on her face since da Vinci painted that look on her face.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I was gonna make a thread for this question but I guess I can throw it in here. Do you remember what you did before you owned smart devices to pass the time? I can't really.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
I was gonna make a thread for this question but I guess I can throw it in here. Do you remember what you did before you owned smart devices to pass the time? I can't really.
Read books.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
They're not new ways.

People have been telling jokes about why the Mona Lisa has that look on her face since da Vinci painted that look on her face.
not the same at all dude. intertextuality, subtextuality, and hypertextuality can all intersect in different ways thanks to the internet, and that isn't exactly what happens in a joke about Mona Lisa.

if there was an understood joke that Mona Lisa was associated with and someone posted a picture of the Mona Lisa as a response instead of using text, that would be closer to what I'm getting at. We did not have the ability to do that previously. We can communicate in ways that weren't practical before. I'm not saying it's like language has been revolutionized entirely, but we're quite factually able to do new things now. Pictographic communication has become much more widespread, and that pictographic communication doesn't necessarily supplant textual and verbal communication.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
not the same at all dude. intertextuality, subtextuality, and hypertextuality can all intersect in different ways thanks to the internet, and that isn't exactly what happens in a joke about Mona Lisa.

if there was an understood joke that Mona Lisa was associated with and someone posted a picture of the Mona Lisa as a response instead of using text, that would be closer to what I'm getting at. We did not have the ability to do that previously. We can communicate in ways that weren't practical before. I'm not saying it's like language has been revolutionized entirely, but we're quite factually able to do new things now. Pictographic communication has become much more widespread, and that pictographic communication doesn't necessarily supplant textual and verbal communication.
Pictographic communication predates text.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Pictographic communication predates text.
no shit but as far as I know, they haven't existed such a fluid and malleable way in the past. like, there are entire new fields dedicated to how the internet and digital technology changes how we interact with each other. Has there ever been a point where people with no identity could interact socially where individuality was discouraged? That's effectively what 4chan enabled. I even have an essay on an anthropological study covering how identity can be seen in new ways based on the anonymity that the internet enables.

like, you seem determined to take the most one dimensional approaches to this
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
no shit but as far as I know, they haven't existed such a fluid and malleable way in the past. like, there are entire new fields dedicated to how the internet and digital technology changes how we interact with each other. Has there ever been a point where people with no identity could interact socially where individuality was discouraged? That's effectively what 4chan enabled. I even have an essay on an anthropological study covering how identity can be seen in new ways based on the anonymity that the internet enables.

like, you seem determined to take the most one dimensional approaches to this
Because it's not that complicated.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Because it's not that complicated.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I get it, you're a poncy French philosophiser.
Quote by Diemon Dave
nah, I can never understand his shit. I'm usually the one who thinks people over complicate shit, but your viewpoint just seems straight up reductive. Communication in general is very complex, and to say that the internet hasn't significantly impacted how we do it is ridiculous. I'd say it's comparable to saying they people just wrote words they were speaking so writing introduced no new elements to communication. I mean, letters are just symbols, and symbolism predates text so it's clearly not that complicated
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
nah, I can never understand his shit. I'm usually the one who thinks people over complicate shit, but your viewpoint just seems straight up reductive. Communication in general is very complex, and to say that the internet hasn't significantly impacted how we do it is ridiculous. I'd say it's comparable to saying they people just wrote words they were speaking so writing introduced no new elements to communication. I mean, letters are just symbols, and symbolism predates text so it's clearly not that complicated
It's all just an attempt to get what's in your head into another person's head.

Which is all just an attempt to get into someone elses fun parts.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by chrismendiola

Besides having the constant ability to chat with people, I don't think having a smart phone has actually changed how I interact with the world. I'm not absorbed by it. On breaks I might scan facebook or check the weather or something, whereas ten years ago I probably would have just sat there and watched TV, being just as sociable.

In short: I think smartphones have had a minimal impact on how I operate.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by chrismendiola

haha goo-goo ga-ga get a load of this baby.

uhm, yeah I can, because I didn't have a smartphone 'til my junior year of college.
Quote by chrismendiola

If I'm at home I'd have used my PC or watch TV
If I'm on the move, put on an MP3 and listen to music.
If I'm on the move without an MP3 then maybe take a little nap (if I'm sitting waiting for something, like a doctor appointment, etc), or just stay there doing nothing really.

I don't use my phone much right now (except for calls/sms/music) so it feels almost exactly the same for me now as it did back then
Quote by chrismendiola

i do more or less the same things as before, smartphones didn't become a major aspect and requirement for teenagers just to fit in until i was in like the 9th-10th grade
i read more books nowadays actually, simply because it's easier to find books online for free and just read them there (also looking at book reviews on my smartphone helps so much before i buy something i'll regret)

everyone is different and grew up in different times, environments, etc but i spend about the same time outside playing sports and exercising as i did before
before i had a smartphone i didn't use social media much at all, just facebook very occasionally on my desktop, but even that was like an annual check up haha
now i check facebook and instagram like every 2-3 hours!

i'm not the kind of person who is glued to my phone all day, i spend more time doing actual hobbies and work related stuff

edit:
but with the rise of technology means the rise of videogames, so i game MUCH more than i did before, videogames are just mindblowingly awesome this generation, i wouldn't go back for anything
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 24, 2016,
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 2