http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tQ3mOxBFCI
Update: I KNOW THAT IT SUCKS BUT I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT. Read the thread, or don't answer please.

Okay, so that a recording of how my bend sounds like. Airy? or something like that. I'm trying to do the first bends in the nothing else matters solo, that sounds way more steely-ish.

How do i get that? It sounds so dumb as of now..
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Last edited by mmalvik1 at Sep 25, 2016,
Firstly, this more belongs in our Techniques Subforum.

Without directly looking at the music for it: It sounds like you are not bending up the note (14th fret on the G string) up a whole step (tonally to the 16th fret). The note on the 15th fret of the B string has to stay the same pitch. Also the solo was originally recorded with a lot of distortion, and you are using a clean tone.
Will Lane
Thx for the answer. But i need a bit more direct tips here.

I have this amp:
http://c1.zzounds.com/media/fit,2018by3200/quality,85/studiopro112_lg-12ba4def25bd426604aed5e41cf8573c.jpg

And this guitar:
http://jam.ua/files/images/pages/promo/2011/Cort_CR250_TBK.jpg

And i dont think its how i bend the string. That's just my skill. Only played for 10 months so i just have to focus a bit more on it and then it sounds correct. But i mean more like the airy sound.. behind? the tone. Listen to the first and second time he hits the guitar here:

It got this steely sound to it that mine absolutley doesn't have. Do you understand what i mean? I can find more clips if no.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Another example here:

It's just way different when he bends.And i waaant its. Sounding weird when i play, and it kinda ruins my motivation. lol
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
You are not bending to the correct pitch. So it sounds out of tune. And you are not using distortion, and these examples you gave are.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
You are not bending to the correct pitch. So it sounds out of tune. And you are not using distortion, and these examples you gave are.
Okay, so, is this a gear question then? Ive showed you my amp. What to do?
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
The most important thing here is you aren't bending to the correct pitch.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oneblackenedRead the thread man I've already explained this.

How do i get the distortion? I've showed u my amp settings and my guitar.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Quote by Roc8995
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Techniques
I don't think that's right man. I'm more talking about what kind of settings on my amp, or if i must what pedal i should buy.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Dude, all the distortion in the world isn't gonna change the fact that your bends are out of tune.

But if you want distortion... literally hit the button on the amp to switch to the lead channel.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Dude, just flip the switch from "clean" to "lead". It will still sound like crap because your bends ARE NOT IN TUNE but at least you will have distortion.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky & oneblackened

So I made a new recording after switching on the lead. Still doesn't sound right to me, its still that airy type sound behind.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0CwLf6wh5SC

To me it's like u dont understand what i'm actually asking about. Bending is hard, yes, but my focus is more on the sound behind and then working on bending.

Im getting tired of the word bend btw.. anyone else?
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
you need to set the pre gain high and the post gain low (pre-gain is the distortion control, post-gain is the volume... that caught me out when i was a newer player trying out a peavey bandit, i dunno why peavey doesn't use less confusing terminology), maybe flip the switch on the lead channel to the high gain/modern setting too. make sure you're actually on the lead channel.

with the guitar, make sure the pickup selector is set to the bridge pickup (slanted towards the guitar's neck) and make sure the bridge pickup's volume and tone controls are up full.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you need to set the pre gain high and the post gain low (pre-gain is the distortion control, post-gain is the volume... that caught me out when i was a newer player trying out a peavey bandit, i dunno why peavey doesn't use less confusing terminology), maybe flip the switch on the lead channel to the high gain/modern setting too. make sure you're actually on the lead channel.

with the guitar, make sure the pickup selector is set to the bridge pickup (slanted towards the guitar's neck) and make sure the bridge pickup's volume and tone controls are up full.

Peavey's actually using "gain" in the correct manner, believe it or not. Gain just means "amplification". So if you turn up the preamp's gain, you're adding more amplification - often beyond the clean design limits of the components.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The amount of "drive" is determined by the relative proportion of the two gain stages. Loading a hot preamp signal into a quiet gain stage creates distortion, while turning the last gain stage up "opens up" the tone again. Playing at bedroom volume you can get a very saturated distortion by turning up the pre gain.
Quote by mmalvik1
Dave_McThats more fucking like it! Thx you so much man

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1HICN5ApuZZ

I still suck tho, but it's a way better sound from the amp so then it's easier imo

no problem, glad i helped a little you gotta wonder how, when everyone else got up on their high horses about your playing, they couldn't see what the gear-related aspect of the problem was either. way i see it, i can either shout at you or help. I'd rather help. Apparently other people's mileage might vary on that.

that still doesn't sound supersaturated, i'm not familiar with your amp so maybe that's as heavy as it gets, but i'd have thought you should be able to get it more distorted/saturated than that. have you flipped the switch to the modern/high gain setting? and have you actually selected the lead channel?

but yeah once you get the tone you want it's just a matter of practice. don't be too hard on yourself, you're a new player.

Quote by oneblackened
Peavey's actually using "gain" in the correct manner, believe it or not. Gain just means "amplification". So if you turn up the preamp's gain, you're adding more amplification - often beyond the clean design limits of the components.

Thanks. I'm well aware of the proper definition of gain (fwiw your definition is a bit of an oversimplification ). It's still confusing for newer players. If we defined everything guitar-related by the absolute proper technical terms there'd be a lot more confused people than just the newer players, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know, it sounds kinda too much as of now. Will write here later.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
yeah that sounds a bit more saturated. you can set it how you like, i was just checking that you could get that tone if you wanted it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your guitar is out of tune or your intonation is out. Also I recommend looking up 'muting unwanted sounds' on youtube it will help a lot

Also it sounds like your bends have no 'Destination' you need to know before you bend if you want a half tone, whole tone etc

Finally after you've improved your bending try adding vibrato at the same time. This is pretty tricky at first but it separates it from sounding ok to sounding amazing
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Guitar137335Looking at the intonation thing at wikihow now. I don't really understand it, but i got a tuner and it says that everythings fine.. its a new one tho, so I might misunderstand something here.

Thx for the good advices btw
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
mmalvik1 I don't have pitch perfect ears but they sound in tune to me. Try playing the 15th fret on the high E string for example and see what the tuner says.
Guitar sounds in tune enough to me. I imagine you're gonna enjoy practicing a bit more with a little bit of distortion on your tone, by the way. But since I noticed the technique error, I'll address that so you know how to combat it.

At 10 months I'd be guessing you don't have the finger strength (or the ear, honestly - not meant as a slight, you're just fairly novice) to get that bend in tune. Don't fee bad, though - Kirk Hammett has been playing for 30 years professionally and still can't manage to get his bends in tune.

What I would do is work on making sure your bends are in tune with the note you're aiming for.

Easiest way to do that is if you're trying to bend up a whole step, fret the note 2 frets above where you're bending. Listen to that pitch, then match it with the bent string. Make sure you're supporting with the fingers you aren't using (e.g. if I'm bending with my 3rd finger, my 1st and 2nd are behind it, using their strength to help with the bend).

And vibrato with bends is tricky, man. I didn't get that for quite some time. Though, it is worth learning how to do that really tasty wide vibrato you hear someone like Stevie Ray Vaughan or Slash or Yngwie Malmsteen doing. That's all a wrist motion.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Back in the day, my guitar teacher improved my bending quite a bit by having me always (and I mean always) bend toward the center of the fretboard, rather than toward the edge (as it appears you're doing in the Zeppelin video). I get better pitch control that way...plus if you ever want to overbend, it's the only way to do it. When Fender Super Bullet strings first hit the market back in the late '70s or thereabouts, Fender claimed you could bend them a full fifth without breaking. I tried it and yes, you could, not that you'd want to do it often.
KenH39oneblackened
dragonflyerThx guys. Love the input! I've only played alone, dont know anyone playing guitar, and it's kinda hard to get all the different pieces down to make it sound good. And as oneblackened mentions i've only played for 10 months so yeah i understand im very new to the whole thing. Got days when i play and practice different stuff (lik hammer ons, pull offs, chords, etc etc) for hours and hours so it goes forward but goddamn how slow :p

And yeah, i'm a real novice blackened, I know. I feel retarded sometime when i randomly pick up the tuner and its bad lol. And yeah this is the first time i check out distortion with my amp so i imagine it takes a little time getting used to that. The finger strength is there i think. It's more to get it to the right spot, and i think with Kenh advice i might've solved it cause i watched the carl brown video on bending and he recommends using the fret as a springboard.

Thx Dragonflyer.

Still sounds kinda bad to me tho so i guess i need alot more practice.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1RVL5L40HZe
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
lol and songs, i practice mostly songs of course.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Guitar137335I found this video and im going to start practicing this every day. Thx alot! Great tip

Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Look up 'Pebber Brown trills' that will Help improve all sorts of problems, playing faster, bending, changing between chords, legato, pretty much everything
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Sep 29, 2016,
Quote by mmalvik1
KenH39oneblackened
dragonflyerThx guys. Love the input! I've only played alone, dont know anyone playing guitar, and it's kinda hard to get all the different pieces down to make it sound good. And as oneblackened mentions i've only played for 10 months so yeah i understand im very new to the whole thing. Got days when i play and practice different stuff (lik hammer ons, pull offs, chords, etc etc) for hours and hours so it goes forward but goddamn how slow :p

And yeah, i'm a real novice blackened, I know. I feel retarded sometime when i randomly pick up the tuner and its bad lol. And yeah this is the first time i check out distortion with my amp so i imagine it takes a little time getting used to that. The finger strength is there i think. It's more to get it to the right spot, and i think with Kenh advice i might've solved it cause i watched the carl brown video on bending and he recommends using the fret as a springboard.

Thx Dragonflyer.

Still sounds kinda bad to me tho so i guess i need alot more practice.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1RVL5L40HZe

keep at it, 10 months really is nothing when you're talking about learning the guitar. Get a solid foundation with your open chords, basic barre chords, strumming and basic music theory to a reasonable level before you dive into soloing techniques etc, or, try and learn it alongside your foundational stuff but don't spend all your efforts there, believe me, you'll regret it after a while if you do.
i regret nothing
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?