Hey guys,

So id like to start playing around with a "fuzz" distorted sound. I'm willing to hear opinions about pedals, I have NEVER used a pedal in my 6+ years of playing. I have 2 Stratocasters with high-mid sounding humbuckers, so id figure I got half of that down. Looking for that dead Kennedys, white kaps, screeching weasel sound. I own a Mesa RoadKing 1, and a Marshall DSL 40c. Both tube combos, I'm still getting familiar with the mesa, but just cant seem to find a setting. I'd figure what I'm looking for a minor fuzz pedal, if not I'm willing to hear other options

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 24, 2016,
Thanks! Looking into blackout effectors but man there's so many!!
Marshall DSL40c
There's a lot of fuzz pedals* out there, and as anyone who has bought more than a couple will tell you, price is no indicator of performance. Hell- sometimes, you might find that the tone you seek is best when gotten from a pedal most people would consider a cheap POS.

Perhaps if you narrowed things down a little: I know the DKs, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. The other bands are a mystery to me. Could you post a couple songs with your desired fuzz?

* well, TBH, lots of EVERY major kind of pedal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks alot your help guys!

So I cant find the video but if you can listen to "Dug That" by White Kaps, thats what I'm aiming for mostly
Marshall DSL40c
I've also read alot of fender amps can achieve this sound, I wouldn't mind getting a small 20watt to mess around with either if thats the case
Marshall DSL40c
Of the Fender amps, I bet the new Bassbreaker amps would be most suitable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Thank you for your help, ill look into it! I hear the big muff is suitable too
Marshall DSL40c
Don't rush off! I bet you'll get more help later...especially if you post song examples. Samoles will help narrow things down to the right kind of fuzz.

Oh I'm not lol, I'm willing to listen to others, no rush. I've always been skeptic about pedals from what I heard they reduce the sound of an amps output, now I dont know how true that is, but I'm willing to try. And it'll be cost effective oppose to an amp.
Marshall DSL40c
This might be a bad example...

I'm just looking for a little fuzz, which can be adjusted probably by pedal. But white maps, dug that is the effect I like the most
Marshall DSL40c
VirgoLife87 That example sounds like it's more of an overdrive/distortion. Your amps should be capable of that.
The fuzziness could have come from the lower quality recording that's typical of punk, or an old distorion pedal.

To get that fuzzy edge, check out something like a Proco RAT or a Boss DS-1. Maybe even an MXR Distortion+
East bay Ray didn't use a fuzz. Cranked fender and delay.

You could check out the offerings from mojo hand FX, they have some nice fuzzes that aren't too over the top.

I second the rat suggestion or even an OCD.
His Fender was heavily modded though
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Have to agree that sounds more like OD/Distortion.

Still, certain fuzzes wouldn't hurt.

In general, I always recommend an overdrive, delay, chorus, and wah. that will get you started. fuzzes are nice too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ok, stupid question, if I were to get a pedal, would I have to run this through my clean channel to achieve the sound? Sorry never owned one!
Marshall DSL40c
That depends on your amp and how you set its controls.

My amp's "dirt" channel isn't particularly good, but I get decent results using such pedals with my clean channel. But some amps- properly dialed in- don't really need a dirt pedal because they have a good dirt channel.

I must have looked at 50 different pedals, from MXR to boss, to blackout effectors, I believe I have found what I'm looking for it is very expensive, but I am in a small time gig-happy band, so it would benefit me as were looking to go a little more aggressive.

I dont have my heart set on it but so far it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Death By Audio Apocalypse

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Death-By-Audio/Apocalypse-Distoration-Effect-Pedal-112433753.gc

Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 25, 2016,
if you want a crazy fuzz, i like my zvex masrtotron. the zvex fuzz factory is flat out wicked as well.

malekko unity fuzz is pretty sweet overall. i found mine for like $80 from reverb (dot com).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like DBA- I have their Supersonic Fuzz Gun and Reverberation Machine. Good pedals; hard to wrong with them.

Still, if you're balking at the price, you might want to check out Black Arts Toneworks' offerings.

after hearing another sweet video of the Apocalypse I'm gonna give it a shot!
Marshall DSL40c

VirgoLife87 Your Mesa Roadking will likely be better than any mid level Fender - try setting your clean channel to slightly dirty ( just a hair) and add a fuzz pedal to that - it will likely sound great.
Quote by reverb66
VirgoLife87 Your Mesa Roadking will likely be better than any mid level Fender - try setting your clean channel to slightly dirty ( just a hair) and add a fuzz pedal to that - it will likely sound great.

Exactly this. Between Clean, Fat, and Tweed you should have classic Fender tones down pat.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .