I am considering of buying a new guitar and I can not decide between Jackson pro dinky and Jackaon pro soloist. Except from the fact that the one is bolt on and the other neck thru, how are they different quality-wise? Why is the soloist more expensive(while it is made in Indonesia but the dinky in mexico). Which one has a better tremolo? please help me :p
Last edited by sotiriskin at Sep 24, 2016,
jackson pro dinky dk2qm vs pro soloist sl2mb (because those are both alder and I am pretty aware of the difference between alder and mahogany, so i don't want an answer regarding the tonal difference of different wood types, but an answer regarding building quality etc)
Quality wise both models should be on par as they're a part of the same series, but I haven't tried any of the newer Jacksons yet, so don't quote me on that one. Forgetting about pickups (I believe that the dinky has a Jb/59 set and the soloist has a Duncan Distortion set), the biggest difference is the neck joint and the body dimensions, Dinky being smaller than Soloist. It basically comes down to preference. Try them both and see which one suits you best.
The main differences are:

- Soloist Neck Through, Dinky Bolt-On - main difference being upper fret access. The new Dinky joints are easier than the old MIJ ones that are like a Strat.
- Soloist Ebony or Maple Board, Dinky Rosewood or Maple
- Soloist 3 way toggle switch, Dinky 3 way blade switch
- Current new Soloists have the recessed Floyd, Dinkys have the Original style. Both Floyds are Korean OEM.
- Soloist made in Indonesia, Dinky made in Mexico

The body size is the same - Jackson has a single form fit case for both the Dinky and Soloist - and its snug on my Dinky.

Play both if you can. No stores near me regularly stock the Soloists.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
jackson pro dinky dk2qm vs pro soloist sl2mb (because those are both alder and I am pretty aware of the difference between alder and mahogany, so i don't want an answer regarding the tonal difference of different wood types,

I can't say I blame you, because when a guitar is amplified, there isn't one.
Why is the soloist more expensive(while it is made in Indonesia but the dinky in mexico).

Neck-through guitars are more expensive to construct.
Quote by sotiriskin
so what about the tremolos? Floyd Rose FRT-O5000 or Floyd Rose Pro 1000?

The difference in number just designates the finish. In terms of performance, they're the same.

I'd personally get the Dinky because they're generally more a bit more consistently made than the Soloists. But if there's something in the spec of the Soloists that you really want, I wouldn't get one just because it's made in Indonesia by Samick.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 25, 2016,
Just don't buy something you cannot comfortably afford. And certainly don't buy one with your student loan; that money is not to be disposed.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
no, I don't have a student loan actually, but the truth is that I can't comfortably afford the ibanez
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I can't say I blame you, because when a guitar is amplified, there isn't one.

Do you have any evidence that that's the case? I'd be the first to agree that the wood probably matters less than people selling expensive guitars made from exotic wood want you to think, and certainly a lot less than pickups, but i'm not convinced it makes no difference (and the one study i'm aware of is almost laughable in its ridiculously small sample size, and a conclusion which appears to actually contradict the results in the study ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(and the one study i'm aware of is almost laughable in its ridiculously small sample size, and a conclusion which appears to actually contradict the results in the study)

Says it all really.

It makes no difference insofar that you could never reliably tell that one guitar sounds like mahogany and another sounds like alder. Because in a realistic setting there are so many other far more significant things in play that affect tone that any difference the wood could be making is going to be drowned out by those other variables. Practically speaking it just doesn't make a difference. And any difference that might appear to be the material the guitar is made from could be due to the guitar's pot resistance values (as pots only have a tolerance of 20%), the exact position of the player's picking hand, how hard they're plucking, how they're fretting, the placebo effect etc.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
yeah but those are really two different things- not being able to tell after the fact and not being able to tell at all.

and sometimes stuff at the start of the chain, while you can compensate downwind as it were, is never quite the same. for example, if you roll your tone knob down on your guitar and then up on the amp, that rarely sounds quite the same. will a blindfolder listener be able to tell? probably not. but as the player it can be pretty important.

fwiw i agree with a lot of what you're saying there, just not the conclusion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I suppose it depends on how you interpret the question. Does it make a difference, or does it make a reliably appreciable difference.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
of course, but as i said there's a difference between what the audience can hear and what the player can tell (and i don't mean from placebo, i mean if there were a way to do a blind test a player could tell but the audience might not be able to).

To use an analogy i often use when people say, "If the audience can't tell it doesn't matter", the audience can't tell if my shoes are a size too small but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?