I'm in the market for a baritone 6-string. I've got it narrowed down to two, and ESP MH-401B, and an Agile Septor 627.

On paper the guitars are similar. Both mahogany body with EMG's, so I'm assuming they'll sound similar. I like the looks of the Agile and ebony fretboard a little better. The ESP already comes set up for B standard tuning. The Agile is strung with 10's and is in standard tuning, so it would take a little more set up. Not a huge deal I guess.

Suggestions, anybody own either of these?
Quote by KAS1981
I'm in the market for a baritone 6-string. I've got it narrowed down to two, and ESP MH-401B, and an Agile Septor 627.

On paper the guitars are similar. Both mahogany body with EMG's, so I'm assuming they'll sound similar. I like the looks of the Agile and ebony fretboard a little better. The ESP already comes set up for B standard tuning. The Agile is strung with 10's and is in standard tuning, so it would take a little more set up. Not a huge deal I guess.

Suggestions, anybody own either of these?

I'm curious where you found information that the Agile came in E standard tuning. I missed it.
One of my friends has an agile 8 string. Not a fan of 8s but it's a really nice guitar for the price. Its also a baritone scale.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either. Most guitars need a set up to fit people's preference anyways, so that shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Quote by dspellman
I'm curious where you found information that the Agile came in E standard tuning. I missed it.

I wanna say I've read on a couple different forums that this guitar is set up in standard tuning, I can't remember off the top of my head. The guitar comes strung with 9-42's. The Rondo music page usually states when a guitar comes tuned to B.
A 27" isn't necessarily a Baritone. Jim Soloway, for years, put out his "Swan" series of guitars that have a 27" scale neck, and kept them in E standard tuning. Baritone isn't a scale as much as it is a tuning, and it isn't ONE tuning as much as it is a number of various tunings down in that B standard area. Agile also makes 28.65" scale guitars (and 30" guitars), and I think you'd *have* to say that's a baritone (ish) guitar. Gibson has done a couple of what they refer to as Baritones in the 28" range, I believe.

Regarding setups; I usually try to have a good tech do Good Initial Setup on guitars that are new to me (complete with the strings I intend to use) and then my responsibility is to maintain that setup as long as I can .
dspellman True. It is more in the tuning, but a longer scale does help with string tension and intonation at those tunings. Probably why they call even a 27"scale a baritone.
Quote by Liaztraht
dspellman True. It is more in the tuning, but a longer scale does help with string tension and intonation at those tunings. Probably why they call even a 27"scale a baritone.

"They?"

Worth noting that I have one of the Baritone tunings on my Variax JTV89F guitars; it's pretty cool for doing those old 007/spy movie sounds and some of the surf-inspired things from the late '60's.
I've been in the baritone mood lately too. Although expensive Reverend and Jericho guitars have their own take on the baritone, 26.9 I think is the scale length of the Jericho.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
I just tried one of those Iron Label Ibanez baritone 6-strings at the local guitar shop. Totally solid guitar, and really good price. 28" scale length. Only issue I can think of is I remember it having EMG pickups, which are not to everyone's taste, but who knows, you might like them.

But yeah, I'd consider that an option, too.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I have one of these, fantastic with decent replacement pickups:

https://reverb.com/item/915846-olp-mm5-baritone-blue-music-man-ernie-ball

It has a good neck profile and great sustain, and if you believe in tone wood, mine has got it in spades. In many respects it is my favourite guitar. It is no longer made, but as you can see, they are sometimes available used.
I'm $ 92 an hour of work at home. I see when my neighbor told me that she was an average of $ 120, but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss.

Useful site............. http://www.Today70.COM
I've got a PRS SE 277 semi-hollow soapbar baritone, and it SINGS. It's truely beautiful. If you've not looked at one of these then you should! They have a solid body version too, although that has duel humbucker pickups instead of the soapbars. http://prsguitars.com/se277semihollowsoapbar/
That's one of my favorite baris.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by MonkeyFunk
I've got a PRS SE 277 semi-hollow soapbar baritone, and it SINGS. It's truely beautiful. If you've not looked at one of these then you should! They have a solid body version too, although that has duel humbucker pickups instead of the soapbars. http://prsguitars.com/se277semihollowsoapbar/

I'd love to try one of those out, but neither of the local music shops seem interesting in having one in stock. And I've been looking for a longer scale guitar for doing some Amon Amarth!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs