Looking to buy my first guitar, came across the Rally GL-300, said to be on par with Gibson Les Pauls, and it's $330

Looking to buy my first ever electric guitar, and this GL300 was available at my local guitar store for roughly 330 USD. Rally, made by Dae Won, was made a guy who used to work at Epiphone and decided to make his own company. Tried it and it was fun to play. I also tried a bunch of guitars at the store next door, the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone G400 Pro, but couldn't get a good comparison it between the GL300 and the Epis cause the Epis weren't set up well.

A few videos and websites on the GL300:

The guitar on Dae Won's website
http://www.straus.co.kr/gl300.htm

Review on Ultimate Guitar
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/rally/gl-300/index.html

Gibson Les Paul vs GL300 blind test

Video review on the guitarGuy says that it's on par with a Gibson Les Paul.

Video on the guitar in action

The thing is, I've seen many good reviews
http://www.svguitars.com/rally-gl-300-hb-1/
at the guitar shop's website, but fairly mixed reviews
http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/product/rally-gl-300/page/2
at Harmony Central.

Most say that it's better than similar priced Epiphones, some say that it's way worse than Epiphones. One guy on the video even said that it's on par with a Gibson Les Paul. I'm not too sure about this as some reviews seem to be a bit over-exaggerated.

What's your take on this? Or should I buy the already well known Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which is roughly 411 USD?

EDIT: Some links weren't working
Last edited by Ravonhart at Sep 24, 2016,
Depends on the person who buys it and the quality control. I haven't heard of Rally before as I haven't run across the gurus here talking about it.

I would compare the Rally and other LP-style guitars over multiple visits for a better comparison.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Are you sure they're still around?
I haven't seen anything for them past about 2009.
You might have a helluva time reselling it when/if the time comes.
i've never tried them but i would be very, very sceptical that it's as good as a gibson les paul (or at least, a good example of a gibson les paul of the standard variety or above).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If a $300 guitar that sounds, plays and is made to the same level of quality as a $2000 guitar sounds too good to be true, it most probably is.

The sort of people who make such a claim will either be in their honeymoon period of just receiving a shiny new guitar, or lack the experience to really know what a Gibson LP is like (which is likely given that these are guitars that are priced for beginners) or both. I wouldn't take such claims seriously.

The black and white test you've posted is also pretty bogus because its been done on a Roland Microcube. It just doesn't have the fidelity to bring out nuances from one guitar to another. So of course they're going to sound almost the same. The sloppy playing really hurts the validity of the comparison too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 25, 2016,
dspellman Well, yes. There's one guitar store here selling guitars dedicated to "unknown" bands like Rally and Swing. And I don't plan on reselling my first guitar either, at least not in a long long time.

Dave_Mc Me too. It seems a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

T00DEEPBLUE On point there. The guy might be on drugs, or maybe an employee of Rally trying to promote their product. Miserable.

I guess it would be better just to buy the already reputable Epiphone Les Paul Standard than that guitar, perhaps?
Epiphone LP's are not the most consistently made guitars in the world. Some of them are dogs, others can be very good. Given that they're so popular, any quarter way decent shop is going to stock a pile of them. I'd certainly go to a store and try them first.

The pickups on them aren't too good (though the probucker ones are pretty decent for what are own-brand pickups on a budget guitar) and you may feel they need upgrading them later. But if you haven't got a good amp yet, it's a bit pointless upgrading them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 26, 2016,
T00DEEPBLUE Tried GL-300 and it was fun to play, it was set up well, low action. I also tried a bunch of guitars at the store next door, the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone G400 Pro, but couldn't get a good comparison it between the GL-300 and the Epis cause the Epis were in a ridiculously high action. And they're the only store with Epis.
Last edited by Ravonhart at Sep 26, 2016,
That's a shame. It's very annoying that guitars are rarely set up properly at the store. I would've thought a shop would make some attempt to set them up decently as not doing so hurts the shops ability to sell it. At least to me it seems like a way for the store to hide the fact that the guitar they're selling has a known problem, like the frets not being level. In any case I don't see a guitar being cheap as being an excuse to set it up like shit.

I don't see what the fuss is about with these Rally guitars, but they don't exactly see anything as being particularly wrong with them either. I'd do some more research into reviews that don't just say what is good about them, but more importantly say how they could be better and make your decision based on that. And if the one you played felt really good to you and it doesn't have any apparent flaws, I'd buy it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 26, 2016,